Toilet paper...

Oregonrain

My husband and I are hoping to go full time next year. I've done a lot of camping in my life, mostly in a tent up in the woods where we dug a hole for our use. We're going to be getting either a Class A DP or gasoline MH. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos educating myself on the ins and outs of RV living. One video said to only use RV toilet paper. That's rather expensive. Wouldn't something like Scotts toilet paper (which dissolves while using it) be just as good? I understand the need for the tissue to break down quickly, but to pay $8 for a pack of 4 rolls seems a bit much. What's your opinion? Thank you for the input. 🙂

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have never used "RV" toilet paper.  For many years, we did use Scotts single ply, but now we use the toilet paper we like, Charmin Ultra Soft.  The package says it's septic safe and we've never had a problem using it.  We do, however, use lots of water when flushing.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

6 minutes ago, Oregonrain said:

Thank you, it's nice to know we don't have to use RV toilet paper.

Like many, we bought RV toilet paper at first, but then at a workshop, we attended it was pointed out to us that the only thing special about RV toilet paper is that it is single ply and also septic safe. There are many brands that can be purchased with the septic safe label, including Scotts(which we use).  There are numerous types of toilet paper available which are marked “septic-safe.” Generally, this designation is intended to indicate that the toilet paper will dissolve rapidly. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are many Old Wives Tales in the RVing world. Toilet paper is one and the other is that you need tank chemicals. We have just been using BLUE Dawn for 10 years. After dumping run some water into the black tank and add 1/4-1/2c. Dawn. Same for the gray, no water needed. We dump about once a week and this has worked fine.

You do need a good water hose and a 2 cartridge water filter system would be beneficial and a water pressure gauge. Look at Rvfilterstore.com. He knows his stuff and has superior hoses that he will make to any length.

Others will respond with additional comments.

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Have you heard of the Escapees Boot Camp? Worthwhile to take even before buying an RV. 

I've just heard about it. I don't know where it is or when it is or what they do there. We're not Escapees yet... (gotta wait till payday) but we're planning on getting a membership this month.

First, it’s not a septic tank, it’s a holding tank. I do use RV tp. I use Camco RV and Marine Toilet Tissue. It’s 2 ply, I don’t like single ply. I get it at WalMart for less than 5 dollars a 4 Pack. Never had a problem. When I dump, about once a week, I fill the holding tank a couple of times with water and flush. When I am ready to move to another location, after flushing I add some Dawn dishwashing soap to the tank to clean it as I drive. When I arrive at my new location I rinse out the tank to remove all the suds. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We bought a new RV that came with a starter pack of goodies including RV toilet paper. I hated it. We replaced it with Angel Soft. The next starter pack I got I gave them back the RV toilet paper before we left.

We didn't use any chemicals in our black tank. Water is the universal solvent and works just fine. 

We did use Dawn for washing dishes. It cuts grease even in cold water and doesn't mess with the good bacteria in holding tanks.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When it comes to questions about toilet paper in a RV it is like opening a discussion on "what is better, a Ford or Chevy?"

I'm like Twotoes, when a product says septic safe that just means it has nothing to do with an RV or an RV system.  We have always used Scotts RV paper and never had an issue in several types of marine and RV toilets over the years.  Wally World stores all have it and it is cheap.  

Do your own experiment.  Take some nice fluffy thick toilet paper and put a slice in a water bottle, then put a slice of Scott's RV toilet paper in another water bottle.  Fill them up and let them sit for awhile.  Depending on how long you let them sit, or if you shake them you will get a good idea what you may want to use in that RV tank.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Let me get my pennies in on this. :)

The holding tank doesn't care what toilet paper you use. The dump station doesn't care what toilet paper you use. The tank level system "might" care what toilet paper you use. If you have the sensors that screw into the tank, then you should be aware of your toilet paper use.

If paper hangs on a sensor then your gauge will read incorrectly and you may find your tanks full before you know it. this might be uncomfortable if you are not near a dump station. 

In any case you should be aware of the AMOUNT of paper that you use. too much paper can clog the dump hose. and that's not something you want to have to deal with!

As far as chemicals. They are most useful for rv's that sit a lot between use. Full timing shouldn't require them. But the southern heat and long periods of inactivity can cause a terrible stench if you only use your rv sporadically.

I don't disagree with what solo318 is saying, but let me add a couple things.  Another part of an RV system that may care what toilet paper you use are the gate valves.  If paper isn't dissolved completely it has a better chance of getting caught in a gate valve.  If your gate valve on the black tank isn't sealed properly then solids stay in the tank and water leaks out, which is not a good situation.  Human waste will harden over time and build up.  Depending on how your waste system is designed, changing out a gate valve, or replacing one is not a fun job.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

3 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I don't disagree with what solo318 is saying, but let me add a couple things.  Another part of an RV system that may care what toilet paper you use are the gate valves.  If paper isn't dissolved completely it has a better chance of getting caught in a gate valve.  If your gate valve on the black tank isn't sealed properly then solids stay in the tank and water leaks out, which is not a good situation.  Human waste will harden over time and build up.  Depending on how your waste system is designed, changing out a gate valve, or replacing one is not a fun job.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who jump in to tell us that the RV black tank isn't a septic tank, especially since I have yet to see anyone post that it is...    However, there are similarities.  In the tank, the waste is broken down by naturally occurring bacteria, exactly what happens in a septic system except that the systems have two tanks and when working properly keep the materials longer. It is exactly the same process that breaks down TP and solids in your black tank as happens in the first section of a septic tank, except it may not stay in there as long.  The septic safe designation is intended to indicate that the toilet paper will dissolve rapidly, which is what we are looking for. If you ever have the experience of your tank not emptying because solids have built up inside, you will wish you had been more careful. And just because you have not had that happen yet, is no proof that it never will so I'll continue to observe the small things like septic safe TP. Others should do whatever they wish as I don't plan to be there to help if you should experience the problem. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you all for the information and opinions. I appreciate everyone's responses. I'm sure there is a lot to learn and experience. I'd like to not have the same experience that Robin Williams did in "RV".

We've got a septic now, and I use septic safe tp. I'm glad to know that if I wanted I could continue to use the same brand in my RV, as long as I keep an eye on things it should be fine. Thank  you!! You've made this newbie happy. 🤗

Archived