Maryland HDTers, Guidance (licensing and Registration)

SailorJack

So, I've posted questions on some of the Facebook groups and found some advice, but much of that ended with "have you asked on the Escapees forum?" so here I am! 

Backstory:  I am looking at an HDT (either a day cab or low/mid conventional sleeper) to pull a larger 5th wheel toy hauler.  Price range is < $25,000 for the truck.  I have neither the 5th wheel or truck, just doing research now as I look to make purchases in the next year or two.  The plan is to get the rig before 2020, spend about 3 to 5 years setting it up/camping when time allows, and by or before 2025, sell up the sticks and bricks and everything else and take the show on the road (me and wife only, all kids out the house, we'll still be in our 40's and able to see what we want to do with our lives).

I don't want to spend $60,000 plus on a diesal pick up truck when there are HDT's in good condition for half the price that'll do a better job at hauling.  My issue is I live in MD which does not allow an HDT to be re-titled as an RV.  I will also need to get a Non-Commercial Class A license which requires a written exam and a road test with my HDT and trailer.  I've emailed the DMV in regards on how to title/register the HDT and was given the following repsonse.

"Dear MVA Customer,

Thank you for your recent email inquiry.  The answer to your question is as 
follows.

The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration will title the truck in your 
personal name even if it was previously a commercial vehicle.  The Gross 
Vehicle Weight may be under 26,000 lbs; however, if the vehicle in 
combination exceeds 26,001 lbs you will be required to obtain a class A or B 
non-commercial license in order to drive the vehicle.  If the Volvo Class 8 
is considered by the manufacturer as a Tractor you will need a class A 
non-commercial license to drive this vehicle.

We hope this information will assist you."

So, seems as though I'm stuck with a Non Commerical Class A license and a Tractor as a personal vehicle.

My questions for those in MD who've done this. 

If you have an HDT in MD registered as an RV how did you do this???

If registered as an RV, did you get the corresponding Non Commerical Class A/B license?? 

Did you take the driving test for your Non Commercial Class A/B with your "RV"??

If you have an HDT in MD registered as a personal truck, how was the process?

How expensive is HDT personal vehicle MD registration???

HDT personal vehicle Insurance company/cost???

I think that's all I have for questions right now as this should be enough info. to point me in a general direction.  

Thanks!

Good Morning Jack,

I can't really help with the MA stuff but I will say that you don't want a daycab. They can't be retitled as a motor home because they don't have the things required. If you go FT you will eventually change your state of domicile (probably) and the daycab will hurt you.

You should also look at the For Sale section of this forum for HDT's. Anything in there will most likely already be converted to a motor home.

Welcome to the forum and you should consider coming to one of our rallies. Lots to look at and much information to absorb.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Been thru the whole circus. Answer: Yes, you can. I'm in White Marsh, PM me for a phone #. Buy me a coffee & I get diarrhea of the gums. 2000 VNL610 converted here to see. Where are you

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

1 hour ago, ARGO said:

Been thru the whole circus. Answer: Yes, you can. I'm in White Marsh, PM me for a phone #. Buy me a coffee & I get diarrhea of the gums. 2000 VNL610 converted here to see. Where are you

Hi ARGO.

PM sent.  I'm located down south off of Rt. 4 in Saint Leonard.

I agree that if you can find one already titled as a motorhome it might be easier, we did that about 5 years ago here in De. Truck in Ohio was titled as motorhome and in De. they gave us a RV registration. Good luck and nice to see a couple of other HDT owners nearby.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I was in Maryland when I acquired Red Rover, a Volvo VNL770.  I had it licensed as a motorhome until I took it down to take a CDL test.   That day Red Rover became a commercial tractor.  After a lot of dialog with the DMV, I wound up licensing Red Rover as a Class E straight truck.

In Maryland, even if you could license the truck as a motorhome, your are still going to need a CDL Class B license.

Our best move was to escape Maryland for the much more land of South Dakota.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

20 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I was in Maryland when I acquired Red Rover, a Volvo VNL770.  I had it licensed as a motorhome until I took it down to take a CDL test.   That day Red Rover became a commercial tractor.  After a lot of dialog with the DMV, I wound up licensing Red Rover as a Class E straight truck.

In Maryland, even if you could license the truck as a motorhome, your are still going to need a CDL Class B license.

Our best move was to escape Maryland for the much more land of South Dakota.

I'm confused.  In MD a Class B license is for a truck over 26,001 lbs only.  Class A is for truck over 26,001 and trailer over 10,000.  Also, why did you get a CDL when a MH/RV only requires a Non Commercial Class A or B.  Lots more to the exam and skills test for a CDL vice a Non Commercial.

To start, the getting of a CDL or an Exempt CDL is the same in Maryland.  The same tests, written and driving.  

Maryland provides for an Exempt CDL Class A or B for RV Usage.

MD CDL Manual
"A motor vehicle designed and constructed primarily to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use"

as derived from MD 11-109.11 definition of Commercial Vehicle:
"(4) A motor vehicle designed and constructed primarily to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use."

The challenge is getting the state to say that a truck designed and constructed for towing commercial trailers fits that definition for recreational use.  Few have managed that if the DMV people see the vehicle.

My Volvo VNL 770 had been licensed as a motorhome because I only handed paperwork  to a clerk.  But when I went to take an Exempt CDL B license test, MV officials saw the VNL 770 and it became licensed as a commercial truck.  My option was to get a CDL.  

Maryland is a tough state for HDT registrations as motorhomes.  I fought a long and laborious battle with state officials, including the DMV and the State Police.  My solution was to change to South Dakota residence, which it what we planned, but I had to get the truck there (SD) so I needed the CDL.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Mark,

I'm curious why you had to get the truck to SD--was that for the conversion from truck to motorhome?  Just asking because I've always been able to title/register without being physically present with the vehicle.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

18 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

Mark,

I'm curious why you had to get the truck to SD--was that for the conversion from truck to motorhome?  Just asking because I've always been able to title/register without being physically present with the vehicle.

We had Red Rover licensed a couple of  years before we could leave Maryland.  He was licensed so we could pickup our trailer in PA and depart MD.  Since we took delivery of the trailer just as we were leaving Maryland, we had the trailer initially registered in South Dakota.

At the time we escaped Maryland and migrated to South Dakota, the only option was Private Truck for Red Rover. For 10 years, we traveled the country and never had an issue that we weren't registered as a motorhome.   As a SD Private Truck, the boss could drive Red Rover with just a Class C license.  I transferred my CDL to SD when we migrated but I dropped it at renewal time.  No need to be exposed to double points in a violation, nor the half the DUI level,  nor have to have the medical card to keep the CDL.

Many reasons to leave Maryland, taxes, health insurance cost, and a much easier licensing of an HDT. 

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

52 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

We had Red Rover licensed a couple of  years before we could leave Maryland.  He was licensed so we could pickup our trailer in PA and depart MD.  Since we took delivery of the trailer just as we were leaving Maryland, we had the trailer initially registered in South Dakota.

At the time we escaped Maryland and migrated to South Dakota, the only option was Private Truck for Red Rover. For 10 years, we traveled the country and never had an issue that we weren't registered as a motorhome.   As a SD Private Truck, the boss could drive Red Rover with just a Class C license.  I transferred my CDL to SD when we migrated but I dropped it at renewal time.  No need to be exposed to double points in a violation, nor the half the DUI level,  nor have to have the medical card to keep the CDL. 

Many reasons to leave Maryland, taxes, health insurance cost, and a much easier licensing of an HDT. 

Mark,

I understand that the list of reasons not to call Maryland home is long.  I was just curious why the truck needed to physically go to SD to no longer call Maryland home.  I would have thought it would have been like several of my vehicle purchases where mailing the paperwork and a call with the treasurer for a credit card would suffice. (Obviously, getting a driver's license would require a trip, but SD doesn't require a driver's license to register a vehicle)

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

I was driving Red Rover around Maryland for well over a year.  And Maryland, like most states, considered a "garaged" vehicle to have plates from the state. 

At the time, some of the forum suggested registering the truck in another state to avoid the issues of being a commercial truck.  But investigation that would have exposed me to tax evasion of MD taxes as I was still a MD resident.

After becoming a full-timer, life became a lot easier as the situation of dealing with a 'garaged" vehicle because my vehicles were always assumed visiting. 

Getting the CDL was to facilitate life in MD.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

2 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I was driving Red Rover around Maryland for well over a year.  And Maryland, like most states, considered a "garaged" vehicle to have plates from the state. 

At the time, some of the forum suggested registering the truck in another state to avoid the issues of being a commercial truck.  But investigation that would have exposed me to tax evasion of MD taxes as I was still a MD resident.

After becoming a full-timer, life became a lot easier as the situation of dealing with a 'garaged" vehicle because my vehicles were always assumed visiting.  

Getting the CDL was to facilitate life in MD.

Ok.  I think I follow.  You waited to register in SD until you "moved", but didn't have to actually take the truck there to register it.

If it is converted to a "Multi-purpose vehicle" by using form VR 95, you don't need a class A. Current CDL book says not needed for vehicle w/ "living qtrs.". Whether or not they get you for air brakes, who knows?

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Geez what a pain. Thank you all for the info. Advice and recommendations. I think, unless I find an HDT already registered as an RV I'll be waiting until I get within a year of full timing (and running away from MD) before I buy an HDT.

So in the meantime, what should I look for in a "before I fulltime" rig?

On 10/5/2018 at 6:33 AM, ARGO said:

If it is converted to a "Multi-purpose vehicle" by using form VR 95, you don't need a class A. Current CDL book says not needed for vehicle w/ "living qtrs.". Whether or not they get you for air brakes, who knows?

CDL not required as it wouldn't be a Commercial vehicle, however, unless they recently changed you would still need a non commercial class A if the you are over 26000 lbs towing a 10000 lb or more trailer. A motorhome weighing more than 26000 would require a non commercial class B if towing less than 10000 lbs.

Sailor Jack    It sounds like you may be active duty Navy wanting to get set for your second career. I'm retired Navy here in Va. We got our Volvo 7 years ago. A 98  610. I had the owner fax me a copy of the title and took it to DMV and had them check to make sure they would recognize the Minn M/H title. They said they would and with that I asked the owner to drive it down from Minn. We took the title to DMV and they did honor the M/H title. Va doesn't want to M/H title anything that has been titled as commercial in Va. Just have someone fax you a title and have DMV make a decision. I knew a good old boy from Maryland who bought a new 06 Volvo single axle and took it to Texas and had a Dorm box built. He then was able to have have it titled as a M/H. It was the first real HDT that I had ever seen. It was blue and it towed a 38' Ceder Creak that matched the truck. It was sweet. If you were interested I could send you a copy of my title and you could just tell them you might buy my truck if they would honor the M/H title.One thing .... be sure to get their name if they tell you what you want to hear. And if they don't ask for their  boss. It isn't for sale but they really wouldn't need to know that. Hope you can get something worked out.   757-646-1686   Pat

The Old Sailor

On 10/9/2018 at 12:48 AM, JPL said:

Sailor Jack    It sounds like you may be active duty Navy wanting to get set for your second career. I'm retired Navy here in Va. We got our Volvo 7 years ago. A 98  610. I had the owner fax me a copy of the title and took it to DMV and had them check to make sure they would recognize the Minn M/H title. They said they would and with that I asked the owner to drive it down from Minn. We took the title to DMV and they did honor the M/H title. Va doesn't want to M/H title anything that has been titled as commercial in Va. Just have someone fax you a title and have DMV make a decision. I knew a good old boy from Maryland who bought a new 06 Volvo single axle and took it to Texas and had a Dorm box built. He then was able to have have it titled as a M/H. It was the first real HDT that I had ever seen. It was blue and it towed a 38' Ceder Creak that matched the truck. It was sweet. If you were interested I could send you a copy of my title and you could just tell them you might buy my truck if they would honor the M/H title.One thing .... be sure to get their name if they tell you what you want to hear. And if they don't ask for their  boss. It isn't for sale but they really wouldn't need to know that. Hope you can get something worked out.   757-646-1686   Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks Pat, great info.  I retired after 20 last October and I've been working the second career since then. Saying that, I don't want to work anymore, especially here in DC. Budgeting properly, the wife and I can be debt free before we're 50 so we're working towards that in hopes to try the "full-time" thing at that point . I like to start planning in advance to allow  cushion for when life gets in the way, as it always does.

SJ    I retired in 95 w/30. Worked at NOB till 2015 for a contractor. Now just playing but not enough on the road. The last 2 years we have had a big trip in the fall but not this year. Really would like to be somewhere other than down here in Chesapeake but we leave for Myrtle Beach next fri (without the 5er) if MB is still there. But life is good. If you have health you have everything. If you ever get down this way touch base or just call anytime. I talk Navy, trucks, wood working, machine shop, RVing or anything else! Be safe up there in the Swamp.   Pat 

The Old Sailor

15 hours ago, JPL said:

SJ    I retired in 95 w/30. Worked at NOB till 2015 for a contractor. Now just playing but not enough on the road. The last 2 years we have had a big trip in the fall but not this year. Really would like to be somewhere other than down here in Chesapeake but we leave for Myrtle Beach next fri (without the 5er) if MB is still there. But life is good. If you have health you have everything. If you ever get down this way touch base or just call anytime. I talk Navy, trucks, wood working, machine shop, RVing or anything else! Be safe up there in the Swamp.   Pat 

The Old Sailor

Thanks Pat!  I'll defenitley keep you in mind.  I talk to much after a few beers so let the sea stories flow!

ARGO     I think we get there 22 Oct and leave 27th. Maybe hookup on sat. My cell# is in this post so call me and maybe we can at least have a quickie get together. Hate being that close and not being able to at least say Hi! I've been busy all week putting a clutch in my 99 Ford Ranger and it fought us every step. I have never seen a clutch disk that was so badly worn away. But it is now running. i even had to face the flywheel on my lathe. The flywheel is only a little less than 13". i didn't have a choice because every shop I called couldn't do it on Friday. So I cut it fri night and we installed it yesterday.Test drove it last night and celebrated a successful underway with a healthy Makers Mark on the rocks! A very smooth Bourbon.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived