Mapping Software STREETS TRIPS 2013?

offroad

21 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I haven't noticed any significant changes in U.S. and state highways. A very few new interstate segments. bypasses and some new taller bridges. My Garmin that I use while driving has lifetime maps, but just like Google Earth and Google Maps it can take awhile (sometimes years) for new streets in subdivisions to show up.

agree.  ST2010-2013 good enough for planning.  for active navigation am using my garmin with updated maps. 

On 10/7/2018 at 9:59 AM, trailertraveler said:

I haven't noticed any significant changes in U.S. and state highways. A very few new interstate segments. bypasses and some new taller bridges. My Garmin that I use while driving has lifetime maps, but just like Google Earth and Google Maps it can take awhile (sometimes years) for new streets in subdivisions to show up.

There are dramatic changes around Louisville,  I 69 was in the beginning planning stages and has yet to be completed today. Some states have sections built, which do make it much easier to travel. Best of my knowledge, Google is the only mapping software keeping abreast of I 69 construction, they show sections that was only completed last June. I think all GPS mfgrs buy their map software from the same company.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

There are dramatic changes around Louisville,  I 69 was in the beginning planning stages and has yet to be completed today. Some states have sections built, which do make it much easier to travel. Best of my knowledge, Google is the only mapping software keeping abreast of I 69 construction, they show sections that was only completed last June. I think all GPS mfgrs buy their map software from the same company.

used to live in Louisville KY.  So the GARMIN map update (unlimited maps) from 2018 to their GPS is still out of date for I-69?  Only GOOGLE is good?  How about WAZE or MAPS.ME the two free applications that work really well, or the APPLE MAPS app? 

Garmin will always be behind Google just by its nature. Google uses the cloud and can update maps as it sees fit. Garmin needs to buy/update their maps from information provided to them from where ever. Then we, as consumers, need to update our GPS. This doesn't bother me as I appreciate that the GPS does not require the internet to be used. I am willing to put up with slightly out of date maps and info to be able to use a product without the internet.

You cannot compare Garmin with Google. Two different audiences are being addressed. Internet is  spotty across the country and very few have a data plan that is large enough to handle a mapping program interactively for driving instructions. 

14 hours ago, SWharton said:

Garmin will always be behind Google just by its nature.

That has not been my experience. I update my Garmin on a regular basis and while Google has the ability to upgrade they depend on one of the digital map services for data just the same as the GPS manufacturers do. I have had more accuracy issues with Google. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In 2012, Google reported having over 7,100 employees and contractors directly working in mapping.[

2011-2015

On April 19, 2011, Map Maker was added to the American version of Google Maps, allowing any viewer to edit and add changes to Google Maps. This provides Google with local map updates almost in real time instead waiting for digital map data companies to release more infrequent updates.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Maps

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-the-most-of-google-maps-1793442153

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 10/9/2018 at 10:02 AM, offroad said:

used to live in Louisville KY.  So the GARMIN map update (unlimited maps) from 2018 to their GPS is still out of date for I-69?  Only GOOGLE is good?  How about WAZE or MAPS.ME the two free applications that work really well, or the APPLE MAPS app? 

FWIW, Waze is owned by Google.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Tried WAZE a couple of times.  The algorithms to route on the last mile seems to look for the shortest distance not necessarily the better roads.   We were sent down some that was less than suitable for cows.  I'll leave WAZE to those with a 4 wheel drive Jeep.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

For $50 you can get ALK CoPilot RV for the tablet and have an application that has a height knowledgeable road data base just like the Garmin RV version GPS unit.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived