Mapping Software STREETS TRIPS 2013?

offroad

So am liking to use mapping software on the laptop to plan he various trips we are going to make.  When you do this you end up importing various POINTS OF INTEREST into the software so you can see what exactly you will have for resources along the path.  Some would prefer to dynamic plan with apps along the way, but I like looking at the route and seeing what is around via a PC early in the planning.

1)  What are you using for mapping?  Are you using Microsoft STREETS & TRIPS 2013, which has no updates?  This is for planning only, so you active GPS will be different when you are driving.

2)  Given the POINTS OF INTEREST change address locations constantly and have additions, what are you using to track and add to POINTS OF INTEREST (POI)?

We still use S&T for planning.  We plan the route for the season,  Then we enter the legs of the trips into ALK CoPilot which does the overhead clearance checking and the GPS display.  We run CoPilot in multiple 10" tablets.

If we have to find a POI, CoPilot stores it in the POIs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I still have streets and maps but gave up on using it. I think it was the best. I use CoPilot  set up for RVs installed on my tablet. It does have points of interest and such but I do not find it nearly as user-friendly as Maps and Streets. The benefit is that I use my tablet as my GPS and can then take it in with me and use it for planning inside. Actually once I got the tablet I use it all the time for many things and the whole setup was less than a GPS.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Streets & Maps for general overview trip planning (POI's very useful).   Travel stops, general timing, POI's still work better here, albeit, the Maps seem to be getting out of date.

However, increasingly I am using Google Maps for general, and day-by-day, trip planning, showing miles and time in a responsive, on-line, flexible, manner.   I like how it can drill down to addresses, and still provide alternative routes.

Lastly, I then use Garmin Basecamp for programming my Garmin Nuvi 1450 GPS, plugging in destinations (ie, 'Favorites), for navigation while driving.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

15 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Garmin's Basecamp.

Thanks Kirk.  Is that updated yearly and free from Garmin?  Or is that frozen at a certain year version like ST2013? 

Loaded BASECAMP but believe I need to connect a GPS to allow a kind of download or copy of the map database from the GPS to the computer for working with it.

17 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

We still use S&T for planning.  We plan the route for the season,  Then we enter the legs of the trips into ALK CoPilot which does the overhead clearance checking and the GPS display.  We run CoPilot in multiple 10" tablets.

If we have to find a POI, CoPilot stores it in the POIs.

Thanks Mark & Dale.  Am thinking of some variation of this.  I have a full purchased COPILOT lifetime for android and found that there are new emulators (one I am using is called NOX) for android that I can use on the WIN10 platform.  Will try this experiment with COPILOT later and see how the planning goes if I can use POI in the emulator.  What version of ST are you using?

tried to load COPILOT on my WIN10 via BLUESTACKS android emulator (NOX failed).  It looks like that will work, but its gets too complicated in setting this up, as the need to have an active GPS connected to COPILOT means the emulator has to work well.

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Take a look at Google Mymaps, it has most features you seek.

Thats a very neat tool.  Only online available for planning.?   But assume once you create a map you can download it for offline use?  Can you load up your own POI file  to MYMAPS,  created as a separate CSV?

Feel like am headed down another technology rabbit hole to get lost with a rather significant amount of new knowledge.  Looks like this just may be where the market and tools are going though (speculation)

2 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

2013 S&T

trying to find a copy for sale of MS ST2013 has proven a challenge.  some guy on the BONANZA online company wants to sell me a ST2013 for $30 that has an activation key that will work for two computers.  He claims it is a weird distribution license ( aka VOLUME LICENSE) that will work.  My problem is it still 2013 maps for $30 and just feel its a dead end direction.  Might still go that path as a tool, but looking at GOOGLE MYMAPS very closely.

MyMaps in Google for basic planning - then export the file "Export to KML/KMZ" - that file can be imported into BaseCamp.

In BaseCamp then "Create a Route" from the imported Google waypoints.
Open the new Route and "Optimize" it.

Then plug the Garmin into a USB port and export the BaseCamp route into the Garmin.
Start engine, begin travel.😊

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

S&T 2013 for general planning.

Google Maps the day before moving to a new destination, as well as we always cross reference the S&T and Google Maps with our Truckers Road Atlas (We replace this every two years.)

Garmin DEZL 560 for day to day traveling.

Whenever something does not seem to jive as we're actually traveling, the DW will use her iPhone to Apple Maps and or my Samsung S6 to Google Maps - fun to have Garmin, Apple Maps and Google Maps, all saying something different at times:)! 

We also find that as we get within 10-20 miles of our destination, that it's also good compare the directions from either Apple Maps and or Google Maps, with the Garmin. (When we use the Garmin in RV Mode (With our parameters loaded in.), we've had it take us on some circular seeming routes to get to the final destination. Unless we're in an area of concern for low overpasses, we usually leave the Garmin DEZL in Auto mode.)

Finally, while in larger city traffic. DW will have Waze on too, and if we see major delays, we'll sometimes deviated to suggested Waze re-routings. Though a few times, this has been dicey going down residential streets with say low overhanging trees... 

I will note. That I know someday S&T will no longer be supported by some update. (I've kept an older Laptop back on Windows 95, for other software, and we have S&T redundantly loaded on that machine, with the final S&T 2013 Update on it. So even if our primary laptop (We have one Windows based Laptop for the DW. And I have Apple MacBook Air.) no longer can use S&T - we have a back up machine that can. 

And, I've been playing with Google MyMaps. Basecamp too. So when the time comes, I'll have a less steep learning curve to make the final shift away from S&T:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Here's a 2018 revue of the new features in Google maps since older videos were made:

I'm good with Google Maps and Wayze for all our navigation needs. It is like any program, once you learn one it is a big learning curve for some to change.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have S&T plus the key.  Randy A made a copy for me onto a thumbdrive and we sent it to another member....It may have been Alan 043...can't remember .  Didn't hear back whether it worked or not.

If it did or does work anyone can have one for nothing xcept the cost of the thumbdrive and postage.  It is not compatible with the lates Windows updates.  It won't talk to the gps puck but there are pucks available that will.  We went thru this a couple of years ago.  I wound up getting an older laptop, gutting it and loading in the Nav program only...that is all it's used for and sits permanently in the truck.

10 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I have S&T plus the key.  Randy A made a copy for me onto a thumbdrive and we sent it to another member....It may have been Alan 043...can't remember .  Didn't hear back whether it worked or not.

If it did or does work anyone can have one for nothing xcept the cost of the thumbdrive and postage.  It is not compatible with the lates Windows updates.  It won't talk to the gps puck but there are pucks available that will.  We went thru this a couple of years ago.  I wound up getting an older laptop, gutting it and loading in the Nav program only...that is all it's used for and sits permanently in the truck.

thanks for that offer.  Was just able to get my ST2010 version to do what I needed with POI mega file.  Also have a ST2013 version installed just now that may continue working.  All used for planning only.  Am agreeing with others notes that having three tools 1) MS ST 2010 to 2013; 2) and Garmin Basecamp; with 3) Google mymaps may be the combination tool set to use to keep the planning functional.

I have Streets and Trips 2013 installed on 2 computers. One with windows 10 32 bit and one with windows 10 64 bit and it works fine. I had the 2011 version previously and it would not run on windows 10.

i still use Streets and Trips to plan out the whole trip because I like the feature that lets you enter how many hours/miles you want to drive in a day and shows where you need to stop. Then I search within that area for campgrounds.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

Just found that I can EXPORT the map plans from ST2010 I make as a GPX file.  Then email them to myself and open in POCKET EARTH app on the iphone (which has GPS coordinates displayed below the map).  Pretty cool to have it all pop up on a map with GPS coordinates referenced below the map, that can be plugged into my Garmin directly.   Its good to not get lost with some random address, when GPS coordinates are a better guide.

Have not tried any KML or KMZ file work but may need to for google.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, offroad said:

Was just able to get my ST2010 version to do what I needed with POI mega file.

You can also load public campground data from USA Campgrounds and the Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project. You can download a POI file with the general location of the Escapees Days End locations so that you can see them on your maps (you still need the Days End Directory for the exact location and directions) from the Discovery Owners Forum. I used the GPX feature of Streets and Trips to export all the POIs from Streets and Trips to my Garmin.

If you have trouble accessing Streets and Trips after a Windows 10 update and receive a message that the directory was not copied correctly, try running Streets and Trips as the Administrator. You will have to open the map files after starting Streets and Trips rather than just clicking on the map file, but other wise everything works as it should. 

55 minutes ago, Sehc said:

It is good you can trust a 7 year old street map. Or in some cases even older. I like google maps.

I haven't noticed any significant changes in U.S. and state highways. A very few new interstate segments. bypasses and some new taller bridges. My Garmin that I use while driving has lifetime maps, but just like Google Earth and Google Maps it can take awhile (sometimes years) for new streets in subdivisions to show up.

Archived