Ceiling Puck Lights-Halogen to LED Bulbs

jc2

Our current MH, 2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304, has (45) ceiling flush mount puck lights which have the 12v 10w G4 base halogen bulb in each one.  I would like to "gradually" replace these with the equivalent LED bulb.  Anyone with the same setup done this or could possibly furnish a part # for the LED bulb.  Halogens have always seemed to hot for my taste.   

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

If you want to know about lumens, kelvin, volts, etc. read this:

https://wheelingit.us/2011/03/19/boondocking-made-easy-led-lighting/

Once again Nina does the research and we all benefit.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I ordered my G4 and other bulb replacements both in our home and the RV with LED bulbs from Amazon.  We prefer soft white or warm lighting 2900-~3200 as opposed to cool bluish lights that are worse then daylight flourescents.

Forget the heat they use way less power which in RVs is critical. Our home was built in 2015 and has 12 ceiling can lights that had 65 watt bulbs. I replaced those with 10 watt led can/spotlights. In three years they have not needed to be replaced. So for just the ten can lights we used 12X65=780 watts. Now we use 120 watts total for those 12 can lights. We changed all our lamps, ceiling fan lights, bathroom vanity lights, entry lights, etc. and realized a big savings over the same time of year with them.

Boondocking we used a lot less power in our 28.5 foot Sunnybrook we had before this one. But we have it and even its tail lights changed over to LED. Our trucks and cars lights inside and out are being changed as they burn out.

One word of caution. Make sure they have the circuits on the back and havew a range of acceptable voltage both above and below 12 volts because 12 volt systems do vary in RV and cars. Here is a pic of some I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDFM3B2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these with zero failures @1.74 each!:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDFM5Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a 2nd gen I have not tried with what looks like an easier to insert contact base.

For these G4 system the LED replacements are tough to push in without bending them for the first one or two until you get the hang of it, then it's easy.

So if you check the watts, the LEDs use 3 watts or less so three LED lights on are the same battery drain as one 10watt incandescent.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

Forget the heat they use way less power which in RVs is critical. Our home was built in 2015 and has 12 ceiling can lights that had 65 watt bulbs. I replaced those with 10 watt led can/spotlights. In three years they have not needed to be replaced. So for just the ten can lights we used 12X65=780 watts. Now we use 120 watts total for those 12 can lights. We changed all our lamps, ceiling fan lights, bathroom vanity lights, entry lights, etc. and realized a big savings over the same time of year with them.

The apartment complex we live in now the electricity is included in our rent; maintenance provides free LED light bulbs and changes them for us. When we moved in there were regular bulbs above the cupboards; they changed those without waiting for them to burn out because they only wanted to climb up there once. We have huge east facing windows; it is so nice to not have heat from light bulbs in the summer time.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

The apartment complex we live in now the electricity is included in our rent; maintenance provides free LED light bulbs and changes them for us. When we moved in there were regular bulbs above the cupboards; they changed those without waiting for them to burn out because they only wanted to climb up there once. We have huge east facing windows; it is so nice to not have heat from light bulbs in the summer time.

Linda Sand

I hear u on the heat.  U can definitely feel the heat from the halogens in our ceiling puck lights in the MH when u put ur hand close.  :o

I get the same light from the LEDs once I figured out that they are not inherently harsh blue depressing cool/cold light but also came in warmer soft white lights in both 110 home bulbs that are the same or brighter than the old bulbs. Those LED can lights I bought are just as bright as the 65 watt ones but only use 10 watts.

In RVs they make boondocking without a generator more doable for short stays. And no more blown tail lights assuming the replacements were from good manufacturers like TCL for home bulbs, and the ones I linked to as the only ones I can recommend from experience.

For our RV I did buy the adhesive LEDs at first. They were horrible and failed or got so hot they dropped down to the lens and I was afraid would cause a fire. Then the flat ones for the without the circuits on the back failed because RV DC does fluctuate. Once I switched to the ones with a voltage range from the circuits on the back they were great.

Same with the one at home. I bought the cheapest at first and they all started failing within a months or three. I finally called them all defective and got a refund which we used to buy TCL brand 110 LED Bulbs. They have a couple of years on them and not one failure.

I make the caveat that any other choice may be better or worse, but make sure you buy from Amazon or eBay sellers. I was shocked when I walked into Dollar Tree where there is nothing over a dollar, and they had some LED bulbs for a buck. I bought a few as replacements but have not tested them in fixtures yet. I prefer Amazon because I can read the reviews and also sort them for most recent reviews.

Just because you pay three times as much does not guarantee you get a better LED bulb in ac or dc. I try to find the great buys that are good quality too.

So if you get bulbs that don't last or flicker or give the wrong color light you bought the wrong ones. I returned 2 12 packs of the can spotlights that were beginning to fail at 30-60 days. Remember when you do that if Amazon does not question it it is because they were/are seeing many defective ones from that company.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Linda,

More apartment complexes should try that because the biggest user of electric in a place like mine, that have NatGas furnace, dryer, gas range, and water heater, the drop in electric bill was startlingly apparent. Even our 25kw whole house backup generator with auto switch runs on Natural gas. ROI in the house was just a few months.

We're glad we can still find a lot of houses where can be cooking with gas. I know that NatGas is about 20% less BTUs than propane, but I got tired of the ugly mobile home looking ugly tank in the backyard, that was the same as mobile homes use. I bought the tank new and had the first generator installed with propane because it was 12500kw on Natural gas and 15kw on propane. Same generator can use either with the supplied jets. Bad move on my part because it stumbled when the A/C came on. So I traded it in for the big one that could handle the A/C without even bogging down noticeably when the A/C comes on. We already had the auto switch done but had to put in a new one with all the heavy duty conduit on the side of the house near the outside breaker box. Looks better and with trading in our old one and 200 gal? tank, only cost about $800 difference installed with a two year warranty.

I'm afraid that with some tech if you don't have a buddy next door to make all the mistakes first, we have to make them ourselves. As an early adopter I have batted about .500 with a lot of research for the first one.

I think we are past the learning curve on LEDs now, including TV colored back-light LED strips and solar powered ones for holiday trees.

It is amazing how fast Tesla, solar and home batteries are coming on, not to mention home security like our Ring four camera system and doorbell with no wires and no WiFi issues. Something moves at our place and we are alerted and looking at it/them almost immediately on our phones. We have driveway alerts out covering the drive and a blind spot in the back yard before the motion sensors on the cameras kick in so when we are home our watchdog goes off too on hearing the driveway and yard alerts. Those are just Harbor freight battery operated ones for $9.99 on sale and about $12 bucks normally. Those would be great for RVs placed correctly so you could see the wildlife or trespasser before they get to your RV. I use them to look at them before they are in range of the cameras. Then we go to "live view" and start recording them all the way in.

All the old problems have been solved with better solutions coming all the time. The Wyze security cameras that have no batteries and must be plugged into 5.7 volt (Phone charger) cost only $26 bucks shipped today: https://www.wyzecam.com/

They are as good as my Ring cameras but are designed for indoor use or protected under porches etc. They have great WiFi and 1080P. I have a Netgear indoor pan and tilt camera now that really is terrible compared to my Ring and Wyze cameras. Yes I bought two of them. Amazon bought them and nothing touched their quality or price in WiFi but connect to power systems. They can run off power bricks for phones too. when boondocking.

The LEDs and the security cameras all came out in the last two years as they are now configured. I'm just coming to grips with the newest ones myself. My ring systems even send me an email when one of them needs to be recharged!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived