I’ll admit it I’m scared.

mickeyblueyes

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, sandsys said:

The correlating rule is: Never interrupt anyone during set up or break down. Surely your question or comment can wait until they are done.

Linda Sand

I agree. So why is it that during breakdown is when I am most often approached??  I can be on a site for several days, but only the morning that I'm breaking down does the neighbor come over to ask where we're from, where we're going, etc.  Never fails!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

40 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I agree. So why is it that during breakdown is when I am most often approached??  I can be on a site for several days, but only the morning that I'm breaking down does the neighbor come over to ask where we're from, where we're going, etc.  Never fails!!

Maybe it's the first time you've been outdoors long enough to be approached? That would be true for me since I'm an introverted hermit. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

14 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Maybe it's the first time you've been outdoors long enough to be approached? That would be true for me since I'm an introverted hermit. :)

Linda

It's probably the first time I've been around the trailer long enough to be approached. We tend to leave early in the morning to go sightseeing, birding, etc. But once back we don't often spend much time standing around outdoors!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, rm.w/aview said:

A dedicated habit and task sequence with a double check of the double check works well.

The other thing is that once you establish a pattern, do not allow a visitor stopping by to talk to interrupt your pattern. In the event that happens to us, we go back and start with step 1 again just to make sure we didn't miss anything. And I do not approach a neighboring RV who is preparing to leave until he has finished, to avoid causing him a problem. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Same when you have your earplugs in, helmet on, collar buttoned up, gloves on and secure, standing beside your motorsickle.... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We are  not in that group.We can not remember being bothered by another rv'er when setting up or taking down in all the years we have been RV'ing/

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm one that thinks size matters.  That's because I like the forests and know the 40 footers won't fit in many cases.  So think about where you like to camp.

I do not feel comfortable with Godzilla behind me.  Especially on things like the Grapevine or going around mountain curves.  I like folks to be able to pass me in a reasonable amount of space because I"m going to be going slower than they are no doubt.

Think about renting something small for a weekend trip and go from there.  With the interest they charge and the price tags it pays to be sure before you buy and not say oh, I can get something else if I don't like this.  If you are too crowded in a 20 footer maybe you'll like a 24 footer.  Me, I'm at 16 LOL.

Christine - 7x16 Cargo to RV Trailer In Progress

Considering there are truck combos 65' or longer climbing all of those passes, I'm not sure what you are so worried about.   We pull over to the right going over passes if there is run, otherwise, our tax money is as good as anyone else.   And the Grapevine is not that big of a deal.   We routinely climb it 1-2 times a year.    BTW - a 40 ft RV is almost always a diesel and they climb very nicely.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, RoadtripsAndCampfires said:

Well, I'm one that thinks size matters.  That's because I like the forests and know the 40 footers won't fit in many cases.  So think about where you like to camp.

Sorry…. I don't agree with you. Our 40' motorhome fit in many forests - forest service campgrounds and boondocking on forest lands.  We've also done the Grapevine many times and were in the mountains often. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The most important thing to do when you are thinking about buying that full time rig is SHOP AROUND! Go out with an open mind but not an open wallet.

Boot camp is great BEFORE you buy, We did it that way and it saved us 10's of thousands of dollars. The big thing we learned is that the average Rv'er buys THREE RV's before they get the one they really want. That's a lot of money to loose. You WILL likely lose when you come too sell!!

We are astonished by the number of people we've met in the last 3 years of full timing who have bought a brand new rig and found within a month that they don't like the arrangement etc., 

Our search went better because we shopped around. http://banbrv.blogspot.com/2014/11/you-can-get-there-from-here.html

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

We are astonished by the number of people we've met in the last 3 years of full timing who have bought a brand new rig and found within a month that they don't like the arrangement etc., 

It took us four months to admit we bought the wrong first rig--not enough interior height and black tank was too small.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you have pulled trailers with Bulldozers and 30,000 lb loads, you will be fine. I have three rules when I'm pulling something new, until I get very comfortable with it. 

One, If I have someone with me, they are not allowed to talk to me unless I ask a question or tell them "Now I'm good" when I get in an relaxed situation like on a highway stretch. In heavy traffic, making turns on side roads, backing up, maneuvering in a parking lot or fuel station, I want my entire focus on the trailer as I adjust to the newness of this particular trailer. Distraction is dangerous.

Two, I take it slow. No rushing doing something new whether it's backing it the first time, hooking it up the first time, everything needs focus and thought until you've done it enough to make it second nature. And then, still use a checklist! All three of the times I've done something stupid to damage something brand or nearly new to me, it was caused by being distracted or being in a hurry.

Last but not least, number three is the old G-O-A-L, GET OUT AND LOOK when in doubt. It only takes a second to check yourself and if your not sure, make sure.

Using these rules, I've made it about 20 years without a damaging OOPS moment. And I'm going to have to use them hard come spring as I only got 1 trip home from the dealer and 1 camping trip in before I had to winterize. So come Spring, starting over because those two were not enough to build any muscle memory or significant familiarity yet!

Good Luck in your adventure, take your time and don't stress, just focus.

I've never seen a tombstone that said "He was a great employee". Be one but be an even greater husband, father, friend and person. That's whats important.

22 minutes ago, CincyGus said:

Good Luck in your adventure, take your time and don't stress, just focus.

And remember that speed limits generally are maximums not minimums so you get to drive at whatever speed feels right for you. There are a few roads with minimum limits to keep traffic moving but those are well posted; otherwise just do what feels right to you--both before and after you feel comfortable driving your new rig. I'm perfectly fine with being what our daughter called "the rock in the river" letting faster traffic flow right by me.

Linda Sand

Being "the rock in the river" also saves on fuel costs.   We laugh every day when running around the Phoenix area - we are always passed by people who evidently feel that they MUST be use to the next red light.   This area is FLAT - you can see the red lights miles ahead, but they have to pass us to roar up and slam on their brakes.B)

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 6 months later...