I’ll admit it I’m scared.

mickeyblueyes

Going full time next spring or summer hopefully. Right now I am emptying the house and lightning the load as they say.

what I am afraid of is picking the wrong kind of RV picking the wrong size. Well I’ll start by saying since I have a perfectly good tow vehicle it makes sense to get a 5th wheel. I did a ton of on line research and just went to the Hershey show. We looked at Class As of all sorts and 5ths of various manufacturers. What we really felt comfortable in was what I picked out on line. A Keystone Alpine 37FL just love it.

so what am I scared of ,first I never towed something that large, second I’m reading and I know the internet is not the most reliable place for info but 

I’m fearful we will not fit in State Parks or National parks or COE areas. The main goal is to winter in the Rio Grand Valley close to the coast.

i don’t want to make a mistake and have buyers remorse.........or worse having to sell in a year or two because I did not think it out right..but fulltiming needs some amount of space.....someone talk some sense into me....please.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking you can pick the perfect RV first time out is a fool's mission.  Almost everyone goes through several different RVs over the years. There are some things you can only learn from experience.  Accept it and roll with it.

Depreciation on new RVs is just brutal.  The smartest thing you can do is buy a lightly used RV around 3 or 4 years old.  You will lose a lot less money on it when you trade it in for something else.

https://camperreport.com/rv-depreciation-everything-possibly-want-know/

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

1 hour ago, mickeyblueyes said:

I’m fearful we will not fit in State Parks or National parks or COE areas. The main goal is to winter in the Rio Grand Valley close to the coast.

The skill of the driver has more to do with where one can fit his RV than does the size of it. You may want to consider signing up to take a driving course once you get your RV. There are several such organizations available to us. Another thing that may help you to make a good choice is to attend the RV Bootcamp & Escapade next March in Tucson. Many people do so in order to learn more about RV living before they make the choice. If you plan carefully there is no reason that you can't make a good choice. I have known quite a few fulltimers who bought their RV after careful research and planning to find that the chosen RV served them very well for a long time. It really doesn't matter how easy an RV is to park if you are not comfortable and happy living in it. Choosing something that you can live happily in that fits your budget is of critical importance since you won't be in it for long if you or your spouse are miserable in it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Here is the link to Rvers Boot Camp. There are 2 coming up in Nov in TX. Really do recommend going to one first, even if you don't have an RV. Will probably help you decide which RV.......... and save you some money.

https://www.escapees.com/community-calendar/category/rvers-boot-camp/

If you do have your RV then they normally have Driving School after camp(I didn't check on that).

Have you looked into domicile and medical insurance, set up a mail service yet?

Lots to do when considering full time.

People with all kinds of rigs camp nearly everywhere. Don't let the size keep you from going where you want to go. You may have to plan a bit more than those in a small rig and, in some places, you may have to camp on the outskirts and drive in for daytime visits but go anyway.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you love your trailer now, there is no reason to believe that you'll not love it just as much in a year or two. While I agree that trying to nail the "perfect" RV (whatever that means) the first time is unlikely, it doesn't mean that your first RV won't be just fine. We started with a used 26' travel trailer (while still working), moved up to a 30' fifth wheel two years later, using a great deal that we'd learned from the first trailer to make our selection. We part-timed in that fifth wheel for seven years, and then full-timed in it for almost two more. After those two years of full-timing we purchased our current 35' fifth wheel which we're still in seven years later. 

While each trailer was very different, each was fine for the period of time that we owned it, and at no time were we faced with "not getting it right". My point is that you've chosen a perfectly reasonable trailer, with a floor plan that you like. You should be able to get into most (but not all, neither can we!!) state and federal campgrounds, and you'll certainly have zero issue finding campgrounds in the RGV.

Relax, enjoy yourself, and take it easy. It will all work out fine!!  :D

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Nobody mentioned it, but there are not a lot of state and federal parks in the Rio Grand Valley but there are dozens of private parks available and some have quite reasonable monthly rates. 

Took a look at one online and am amazed at what they pack into the unit. Absolutely gorgeous, if you can tow it and back it in and set it up, you will be all set. It doesn't look like something you would travel around in staying 2-4 nights here and 2-4 nights there...too big and too much work. Seems like it works best to stay at least a month in a place before moving. Nothing wrong with that if that is the intention.

Your post here is a good start, I recommend talking online and in campgrounds to folks who are set up similar to what you are contemplating to get as much information as possible before pulling the plug. 

I notice a lot of 5th Wheels don't have slide toppers. That would be one of my questions for someone who lives in one, is that an issue?

The one I looked at online is gorgeous, truly amazed at what they pack in and now I can see why they are so popular.

Setting up is getting simpler now. All you do is push buttons so I don't any problem in going night-to-night. You never  mentioned what your tow vehicle is. You need to look at the weights also to make sure you have sufficient "storage" weight available.

If the salesman said you could tow it with your truck, take a large grain of salt with that statement. You can tow it but can you stop it????

Give us a little more information and we will help you along.

Plenty of people fulltime in all types of RVs. Most are not warranted for fulltime, whatever that  means in the world of warranties.  The warranties aren't lifetime, only a year or two(very few), most of the components are warranted by the component mfg, not the trailer mfg. Example: oven doesn't work, contact Magic Chef, not Keystone. Sometimes the trailer mfg. comes through, many times not.

If you have a questions on the quality go over to the  IRV2 forum on Keystone and see what people are saying. Remember all the complaints show up onlinie, very few comments from people who are happy with their choice.

We traveled for 12 years and 8 years with our two non-warranted fulltime 5th wheels, never had a problem with either that we didn't cause.

There are thousands of people full-timing in Keystone trailers!!  I know at least five different couples full-timing in Montana's (just one of the many Keystone lines) and doing just fine. I would wager that there are far more people full-timing in Keystone trailers than are doing so in either Grand Design or DRV, if only because of the sheer number of Keystone trailers out there. 

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

Sometimes... you do your research... then give it your best shot... and GO!

In Summer 2012, we decided to retire a couple years early... so we set our job ending dates (December), bought a 36' Gas Motorhome, traded two cars for a toad, and left Michigan in January 2013.   A daughter took over the house so that worry was covered.   We figured if we liked Fulltiming, we would buy a bigger diesel motorhome.

We hadn't even tent-camped in over 30 years.   No idea of what a 'black' tank was... or a grey tank.    First thing we did was to attend an Escapee's Boot Camp - great move!   Then we just started moving from RV Park... to boondocking site... to RV Park... and constantly learned from others while making new friends of, & with, them.

Biggest thing? - We adapted ourselves to our new surroundings while enjoying our retirement.   We kept the house (albeit - only there few weeks a year)... kept the 36' motorhome while downsizing possessions... and found we had all that we need to be happy.   We love the RV lifestyle, and plan on living it as long as our health allows.   Retiring wasn't the end of our life... but the beginning of a new life segment and associated lifestyle.    Good Luck, Mickey!

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

We easily fit in many, many public parks with our 40' motorhome & Jeep.  We've stayed in national parks (Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, etc.) and without reservations.  We also fit in many national forest campgrounds, state parks, Corp of Engineers, county and city parks.  Get the size you think you'll be comfortable living in. You'll find your spots!  Good luck!!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

21 hours ago, mickeyblueyes said:

........or worse having to sell in a year or two because I did not think it out right..

I had a brand new Heartland Cyclone.  It felt good at the show, but once we started using it, the comfort went away and the plethora of problems arrived.  Got rid of it in a year.  Best move I ever made.  The cost was worth it.

thankyou all so much I got a boost of confidence just by reading the last bunch of replies.

someone asked,I had a 2003 Dodge Dually with 120,000 miles on the truck and 20,000 on a brand new motor(long story bypass filter failed spun bearing) Cummins

so I have a very stout truck with no pollution,no cat,no def fluid. I hauled 30,000 lbs of wet compost a month ago so I’m pretty sure the 18,000 from the 5th will be ok.

going to upgrade fuel storage to 160. Air ride seats,cameras, nav. System.

maybe a hauler bed? If they don’t cost too much.

thanks for the info about parks, and yes it’s all push button set up and auto leveling now..

It is quite normal for you to experience some nervousness as you take such a major step. But that is good in that it makes us take time to be sure about our decisions. Do not let it overwhelm you but use it to your advantage. 

On 9/29/2018 at 5:50 PM, tfavorite said:

I would be concerned about fulltiming in a Keystone trailer. Not sure but I don't believe they are warrantied for full time use not to mention the question of whether it will stand up to full time use. I would take a look at Grand Design as a minimum or DRV for full time living.

I don’t believe it’s possible to tow a DRV 5 th wheel with my current truck. As it only has 120,00 miles I struggle with the thought of getting rid of it.

1 hour ago, mickeyblueyes said:

I don’t believe it’s possible to tow a DRV 5 th wheel with my current truck. As it only has 120,00 miles I struggle with the thought of getting rid of it.

DRV makes a fine trailer, but they are very heavy, and quite expensive. Don't let anyone tell you that you "need" a DRV to fulltime. You simply do not!  99+% of fulltimers are in something "less" than a DRV and doing fine. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I seem to be feeling like a pauper because I am not getting a DVI or a New Horizons trailer. I sure would like to have one with a heavy duty truck and a car on the deck, but I don’t know that I want to go all in at $250,000 to introduce myself to fulltiming. I feel like I’m overdoing it by buying a brand new Keystone. But I’d like to treat myself and wife to someplace special and new. I also don’t want regrets that I did not buy a Super high end unit either. I have watched Kens videos about his New Horizons unit and they sure are impressive. 

We loved our New Horizons but I wouldn't buy one as a first RV. Experience goes a long way in determining what one wants in an RV. Your lifestyle changes over the years as do your physical needs. We "never" wanted a MH, loved 5th wheels. As we have aged and with some physical problems we have moved to the dark side and bought a MH. We have now adapted to a MH and the changes we had to make to adapt. We are very comfortable with the MH now, rough going for a year or two but we had trailers and 5th wheels for 35-40 years.

Our first trailer was used after that we have always bought new and have never regretted it. Every RV we bought has been fine, never had to go back to a dealer for any repairs. Yes, there are lemons as there are in cars and anything else you buy, yes the dealers and mfg. could do a much better job with customer service. There are many happy RV owners who never post on any of these forums.

2 minutes ago, mickeyblueyes said:

I seem to be feeling like a pauper because I am not getting a DVI or a New Horizons trailer.

I know how you feel as we went on the road in a gasoline-powered class A that was only 36' long!  But I will tell you that after 12 years when health required a home base, we still had the financial ability to buy our home without going into debt because we went with an RV that fit our budget. You need to get the most that you can for the budget that you have, and then just enjoy life, even if there are those who know that you are doing it wrong.  The lower priced RVs do show the wear and tear of daily use more quickly and to keep them in top condition will require more maintenance on your part but it can be done. We have known two couples who bought top of the line RVs and then soon left the road because of financial problems. I have also known many happy fulltimers who live in a Montana by Keystone.

I commend you for taking a conservative approach to the issue of how much to spend. 

Thanks Kirk,

I do want to be able to return to a residential setting if God forbid health issues force  it. The return on used RV units is frightening, I haven’t signed on the dotted line yet, so what ever is supposed to happen will happen. Which means if I’m supposed to have a used high end 5 th wheel, than somehow one will present it self to me in the course of getting ready. Other wise it’s a moderately priced Keystone.