Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Wood

Not a good day for Tesla investing...

Or it might be a good time to jump in... Does anyone really doubt that Elon will still be calling the shots even if the SEC forces him out? Maybe a hefty bill showing up in the books each month for "EM Consulting Inc"? ;) 

Many of the investment analysts are saying that now is the time to buy as they expect the energy storage and home/enterprise PowerWall systems to realize their potential.

The Koch brothers have routinely destroyed the environment wherever they have a factory for about anything.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/the-koch-brothers-exposed-84999/

They bragged about the fact that they pay their fines willingly as a few million in fines to make billions in profit is a good deal for them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/inside-the-koch-brothers-toxic-empire-164403/

So what did they have to say about that article?

Koch Industries Responds to Rolling Stone – And We Answer Back

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/koch-industries-responds-to-rolling-stone-and-we-answer-back-237090/

That relates to Tesla in this way. Musk is a billionaire, and he will likely get a fine that is payable.

Now Tesla is a buy. From September 10:

Buy Tesla shares 'even with drama,' Baird analyst says after factory tour

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/10/buy-tesla-shares-even-with-drama-baird-analyst-says-after-factory-tour.html

But I am biased, I made a lot with Tesla for the last eight years holding long. I did not sell because I'd lost faith, but because I am very much not a middle income guy anymore - thanks to Musk and Tesla. My son is holding his Tesla stock.

I sold my 1000 shares last month near the year's high. So while my money was taken because we are about to buy a house cash in Colorado and want the option to buy there, then take our time selling this 5 acre paid for property and three year old house, I am still a big fan of Elon Musk and Tesla. Musk has all but taken over the NASA Space program, by merit, not lobby money, to the point that the ULA, Mainly Boeing and Lockheed, who are still using the Russian RD-180 engines, now have to compete with Space X for the manned missions to the ISS, and NASA can stop hitching a ride costing us millions paid to Russia for each trip.

Space X is a private company and Musk, after this latest will never go public with it. I hate that because I was going to come back to the bigger play with Musk if he took Space X public. Musk will be fine regardless. And he has made a lot of millionaires out in the world by his innovative vision. We did very well too.

I would buy Tesla today if my other funds were not in USAA funds that are doing spectacularly. We are also going to have the proceeds of this property to replace the now liquid Tesla proceeds we use for our new yet to be chosen home.

I am excited about the pot stocks we invested in with so little now yielding a 33% gain in a couple of weeks. We will hold until we see what happens after it goes legal across Canada October 17th I think it is. Exciting times, and I do not believe we will have an end to this Bull market until 2019 at the earliest.

Good luck with whatever y'all invest in. I had it and look forward to more.

Anyone with an anti Tesla bent needs to test drive one for a good couple of hours. They cost about what a loaded diesel 1 ton dually does for the Model 3. And much less than the top line luxury SUVs from BMW and Mercedes.

The next few years will be even more fun if we participate in American companies using American workers.

Musk will prevail, you all will see. Te best revenge, is living well.

Live well guys.

Edited by RV_

Dutch good point. My son still has his Tesla shares and he just told me they are holding long. He has the numbers and the tech. He also has a solar roof from  . . . Solar City and loves it. He said it saves him a bundle. He bought Tesla at $155 so they could quit anytime but choose not to. I agree.

The Model 3 is climbing to be the best selling car in the US. When Tesla bottoms it will be a great buy again. Read these sales statistics:

Model 3 Tops

New announcement from the current administration says we have only a decade to turn it around:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=president+says+7+degree+climate+change&pc=MOZI&first=1&FORM=PERE

Without any selling today competitors for Tesla, it looks like here in the US we have at least one American BEV.

America, and Americans always step up when world crisis threaten us all. 

Dutch,

No

Only individuals can vote on that with their wallets. Regardless of what the feds say the states and cities have already begun to make their own regulations to support worldwide reductions in exhaust period. The rest of the world will pick up the slack. Major cities are making themselves ICE free zones.

Our age group will see the beginnings of the extreme storms, crazy high temperatures, and melted Ice caps North and South between 2020-2030. Our kids will see the destruction of civilization as we know it. Unless we change fast. I don't see it happening. I'm 66. I did as much as I could to help renewable energy implementation speed up. It's up to our grand kids generation to clean up any mess we leave them now.

Don't forget science is not fact if stupid people don't want to believe it. I helped Tesla with invested money. Now I see the difference between intelligence and stupidity. Intelligence has limits.

So investing in recreational pot seems a good way to proceed to invest. Covers all the bases.  What happens when denial fails? If this weren't so serious it would be funny seeing the smug ones find out the very wealthy have shelters and supplies in New Zealand and abandoned them. I hope Musk gets some of us off planet within ten years. That's why we're heading North, central and high altitude relatively speaking.

Edited by RV_

Derek, the first line of your post seemed to indicate the current administration was taking positive action regarding the speeding up of climate change, but maybe I read too much into it. Their actions have been completely the opposite, relaxing, or attempting to relax, many of the environmental regulations put in place precisely to slow down man made climate change. Tesla's vehicles could possibly help the environment if the BEV recharge process is at least carbon neutral.

http://columbiaclimatelaw.com/resources/climate-deregulation-tracker/

As for investing in pot, I have mixed emotions about the deregulation for recreational use. I can see the value in medical use, but recreational deregulation strikes me as the precursor to a new tobacco style industry with many of the same or similar dangers of addiction and inhalation health issues.

Dutch,

Good points except for addiction. MJ is not addictive.

I personally think if it replaces opioid painkillers that are freakishly addictive, it's all good. I see me and others who don't smoke only using oils, oil infused edibles, and, where legal, I'd like a little fraction of THC for additional muscle relaxation. I don't drink and went from three packs of smokes a day to none eight years or so ago. I am sure the same rules for not smoking cigarettes in public indoor spaces will apply.

Currently, we've seen folks like you and me who got hooked on oxycontin, lortabs, and fentanyl, and they now are denied the drugs, in a well publicized move to stop the pill mill docs. So now middle class folks that were respectable last year, are shooting up heroin because they can't afford street prices for opioids their docs prescribed legally, and stopped providing. Now that is an entirely preventable shame.

Legal recreational Herb won't do any of that.

I'm pro BEVs, and Pro legalization of pot. The entire countries of Canada, and Uruguay agree, and legalized it. Any American young or old can get MJ where it is illegal in under 30 Mins! Kids can get pot easier than alcohol, which because it's legal, we tax it, control it, and require IDs.

Let's legalize it and tax it, control the age groups that can buy it. Like Nexium or NSAIDs, with it legal and over the counter, folks can self medicate like with alcohol to unwind.

As to the current Administration's dire temperature prediction in ten years while repealing the safeguards you mention above. Let's leave the politics out and just focus on the value of investing in BEVs, and something to relax with when the fires make breathing air worse than smoking three packs a day like I did years ago. Colorado has smoke filled air from the California wildfires.

New Zealand is the safest place for the foreseeable future.

The markets are dropping and thank goodness I keep my capital gains in the USAA Money market account. They invest in only short term notes with the Fed. So an increase in interest may actually make me more. We can move our gains into the bank with FDIC protection in plenty of time for tougher times. I am liquid mostly save the MJ stocks.

I observe and comment on what I see. And invest in what I believe will move up a lot.

I vote and encourage others to vote too, regardless of party. I don't do politics. I vote.

Edited by RV_

I have not owned Tesla stock but do follow it and the auto market. Any time I run across these discussions I'm always puzzled by such strong support of GW CC and criticism of and labeling of any opposition as deniers. If a person has a strong belief why in the world would they be driving all over in a fuel sucking RV? 

If a person truly believes, it seems they would be living in a very small stationary efficient home. If there is really a concern about ice engines and emissions why would they be building 150 mph zero to sixty EV's. If you really wanted to reduce emissions you would target and duplicate the most popular vehicles on the road which iirc are the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. The vehicles that actually most meet that are ridiculed while people like Musk boast of their products as being able to beat any ice vehicle in a drag race. If resource depletion is an issue why would building something that can break the speed limit even be considered.

I may be missing something but this is nothing more than upside down and backwards. RV and GW talk just don't seem to go together.