Mastercraft

Our Teton has the residential refrigerator requiring an inverter to operate on the road.   The Magnum 2812 does well, driven by 4 Trojan group 16 batteries 740 Ahr worth.   The charge line that comes through the 7 way trailer interface is not able to keep up with the refrigerator load...... almost, as the battery monitor says the bank is at 97% after 10 hrs on the road.

I have a second power interface on the back of the truck, a two pin lift gate interface good for 200 amps.   I want to run these lines to the battery bank so I can keep it at 13.6 or 13.8v going down the road, even it the frig is drawing 35 amps at 12V.

So, how can I get a couple welding cables routed from the pin box to the street side compartment (where the fuses for the trailer lights etc are located).

Any suggestions?

thanks

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

I know nothing about Teton construction, but most manufacturers had cable runs or openings thru the overhang to run wiring.  I've been successful in pulling wires thru from the pin to storage compartment on 2 Carrilites and our current DRV.  The Carrilites had a piece of sheet metal across the top of the wall from the front storage compartment to the overhang.   I drilled a hole and peaked in...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I did some snooping and feeling around at the front of the belly area where it meets the overhang.....that sheetmetal interface mentioned is like 3/16" c channel and the overhang is filled with insulation making for some bad fishing.  

Next I'll have to get out the Harbor Freight borescope with a flashlight in the pin box area....see if I can "see the light"

Thermo King Tripac APU

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

Truck 100K.jpg

I wasn't there when it was done so I don't know what path they took or what obstacles had to be overcome, but my BluDot installer was able to snake an air line up through the pin box to exactly where you're trying to get to on my '02 Teton.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Air Lines?   Good point, as some day, a BluDot system may find its way onto the unit.  So, if I can "see the light", I'll try and get two 1/2" air lines and two #0 welding cables through there.   Seems like that street side front compartment would be a great place to put the air over hydraulic stuff......so I don't loose any storage in the belly area.

I have to find the recipe for dexter oil bath disc hubs,  that fit my axles, that work with wheels that are rated for 120psi  and 4500 lbs (hub centered vs stud centered).  I remember something about having to go with two hydraulic actuators with a triple axle dexter system .....something about not enough hydraulic volume capability to push six dexter calipers.

thanks

Rich

Thermo King Tripac APU

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

Truck 100K.jpg

I would NEVER put oil bath hubs on an RV. They sit too long. I've had them, and I've serviced them on other rigs. They are problematic IMO.  

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Don't all our trucks have oil bath bearings on the front axles?   My truck may sit for 10 months.....starts right up ....APU starts right up too. .....should I be rolling the front tires every month?

Thermo King Tripac APU

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

Truck 100K.jpg

I tried to fish 3/0 welding cables in that area. As Glenn said I failed.

So I have 1" channel iron suspended from the hitch area to about 8" from the curve on the fiberglass on the underneath. My front cabinet door still latches. 

So I have enough wire to go on the hitch, follow the channel iron back then it connects with an adderson connector. I use Velcro to hold the cable in place. The Anderson connector is installed below the Jack switches in that compartment. The bottom of the door is cut so the door can still function with the connector sticking out.

Give me an email and I will send you pictures. I still cannot post pictures on the forum.

I have been overly busy this summer with work. But will get that figured out when in Arizona.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

• 5 weeks later...

I just put a 2nd 50 amp inlet on the front of the Teton and tied it into the auto transfer switch from the factory (generator prep). Running the genset on the truck and plug into the front inlet keeps the batts charged just fine. 

Question though, if the batts are at 98% after 10 hours of driving, what is the need? Maybe better solution is a solar panel? 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I have 1000 watts of solar panels. My batteries stay at 100%. I have the charger on my inverter turned off and when my converter died it wasn’t replaced. Solar meets all my needs.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived