Windows 10’s October Update (Redstone 5) Will Be Released on October 2nd

RV_

October 2nd is the reportedly firm date for the release of "Redstone 5."

Excerpt:

" We’ve known for a while that the latest update for Windows 10, codenamed “Redstone 5”, was going to be released in October, but now we have a nearly confirmed date: October 2nd, 2018, the same day that Microsoft is holding an event to talk about their new Surface products.

New October Update? But What’s That Mean?

In case you weren’t already familiar with the details from our amazing series on What’s New in Every Major Windows Release, this new October 2018 update contains a ton of features for people who aren’t already on the Insider track, including but not limited to these:

RELATED: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

There’s one small wrinkle that you should keep in mind before you install the update next week: if your computer is low on disk space, the October Update is going to fail to install. Basically, Windows Update doesn’t check to see if you have enough disk space to actually run the update, before running the update. If you think this seems silly, you’re right."

The article goes on to explain what the Windows insider membership provides.  I am a Member of "Windows Insider" but choose not to get the Beta versions because they can really be a pain when a member's computer breaks from them which is the idea so MS can fix issues before releasing to the billions of Windows users worldwide.

If you are unclear about major updates or what they contain the original article has screen shots and hot links to related articles here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/windows-10s-october-update-redstone-5-will-be-released-on-october-2nd/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well it downloaded with no problems but man did it take forever.  I was on a highspeed land line and from clicking on check for updates to starting to configuration was 2.5 hours.  So it does take a while.  However it did download with no problems.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

I was disappointed as it was just like a cumulative roll-up. On my high speed connection it took from 5 minutes to 15 minutes on my two i5 & i7 Surface tablets, one 10.8" Dell venue 11 Pro, Atom processor 32bit 64GB storage 2 GB RAM, and four desktops, three of which are touch screen All In Ones, one is an Atom 32bit 2GB RAM, 64GB storage Voyo mini PC.

No problems except the Voyo failed once then installed fine.

I couldn't do dial again. I'm spoiled with 200 Mbps asynchronous, and will soon move to Colorado with GB synchronous for twenty bucks cheaper than what we have now, for five times the speeds down, and 50 times the upload speeds.

The times indeed are changing. 

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

This sure is a PIA for us who have to use  library Wifi, restaurants, and Hotspots! Even Spectrum wired users have complained about the time it takes to do the updates! I believe I will turn off the Windows Updates for awhile. I just installed the Spring Creators Update about 10 days ago. It took 2 of my laptops 6+ hours and my Tablet 3.5 hours to update. 

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

8 hours ago, RV_ said:

Dennis,

I was disappointed as it was just like a cumulative roll-up.

More than just a cumulative roll-up.  More new features than I could test. 

Used a USB Media stick for the local 3 PCs and an iso file for the PCs in the remote location.  6 down and no problems.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Good work around Mark!

If you're on the road, that sounds like a vast improvement over dial up. We haven't used dial up since 2003. I'm setting up a Linksys "Velop" mesh network here in the next day or so: https://www.linksys.com/us/velop/

I'd like to see how much it increases my WiFi throughput. Once my new system's in place, I'll get back into what each system ended up with on this last update.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

We were at a friends up in Geneva, Nebraska for the week.  It must have been her internet.  When I got back to Bella Vista on Friday I updated Linda's laptop and it took 30 min start to finish.  I have not noticed any big changes but I do not use my computer like you do.  I am sure there are all kind of cool new features but I just have not found them.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Archived