Weboost Drive Sleek

SWharton

FWIW at our present location (our winter site in Rockport TX), the Sleek boosts the signal (both AT&T and Verizon) from ~-108dBm to ~-100dBm.  I leave it running even though the unamplified signal is adequate because the stronger signal is less subject to "rain fade" and we've been having a lot of rain lately.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I tested the Sleek this AM when at Palo Duro, it does work, had about a 10% increase in dBms. I just had it on the console in the car, not even the dash, including the antenna. Very pleased with these results. I will hook up the Mobley lated today and just stuff everything into the upper cabinet until I can get the antenna on the roof.

Thanks

R

32 minutes ago, SWharton said:

. I just had it on the console in the car, not even the dash, including the antenna.

I would expect to see an increase of ~2-4dBm in received signal strength by having the antenna outside the coach, not including the height advantage of having it on the roof.  For your reference a 3dBm change is a factor of two difference.  

Of course, that doesn't mean that the Sleek will "pass along" all of that increase in the form of an increased indoor signal strength.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel - Good to hear your Sleek does not get hot! (In other thread on other boards, I've had a few say that their's got hot too. But, I should have clarified that our Sleek is not he newer cradle sleek. As I understand it, the electronics are the same, but the cradles are different. Very possible my unit may have been defective. But when I called WeBoost to talk about how hot it was, they did not seem overly concerned. 

Only once this on this year's longer trip, now 4 1/2 months across 8 Western states - have I needed to use anything more then either our Verizon Samsung S6, Hotspot mode, sitting in the front dash of the RV (Our coach has metallic window bronze looking coatings on the rest of the windows, and I can move the phone from the front windshield (no metal coastal), to say middle of the coach next to one of the front living side windows (with bronze type coating.) and Singal Pro will reflect about a 10-15% drop of signal strength, as well as higher SNR. Or, when ATT is the stronger signal, we have our MiFi Unite Explore fed thru the mentioned MIMO Roof Top Mobile Mark Antenna (This combo, is our Download Speed champ of all time highest speeds:)!). 

In one area, we needed out Maximum Signal, which due to roof mounted and antenna locations in relation to Communication Cabinet, we have the Internal Antenna a just under 20' away. I have not spent much time testing, but do not believe the Maximum Signal enhances the devices in the Communication Cabinet that far away. I have had no major problems with the Maximum Signal, which I leave on all of the time, as far as the Red light indicating oscillation problems. Twice in the last 4 1/2 months of travel, have I found a Red light. And unplugged the unit, and powered it back up. 

When ATT and MIMO can not get us a signal. And the Verizon S6 is also having problems with signal. I will try both the Samsung S6 within about 18" or so range of the Maximum Signal Internal Antenna. Or, untether the ATT Unite Explore from the WiFiRanger GOac, and move it out to the about 18" position away from the Maximum Signal Antenna. This will at times, get me useable Download Speed, off of one of the two providers. 

As mentioned, I've also found times in the past. When the Sleek, using the Maximum Signal 13" Antenna, will provide a better/stabler signal then any other combination. 

It just pays to experiment, and see what works the best in any given situation. 

===

I came very close to replacing, or adding, a WeBoost Cellular Amp (Will not mention the unit I was going to get, as I did not.). But since the bulk of the time in the last two or three years of travel - we've done fine with what we have. I decided to wait until the world of 5G changes the game again:)!

IMO. If needing to augment signal strenging today. The WeBoost Sleek is an inexpensive buy int, to an easy to use unit. Flexible and easy to move between RV and Toad, especially if you pick up an extra Stubby Antenna. It is only half as strong at boosting as other Cellular Amps available today. But, it is way under half the price too... And, suspect 4G LTE will be around for many years ahead. So when 5G comes out, and amps are available, if needed = the Sleek can be stored permanently in your Toad for in case you need it. (Our previous 3G version Sleek, is in a small bag in relatives trunk. Incase they ever have an emergency, and do not have enough signal strength. It still works (for now) and could still help them.

If a person can limp along for another 1 to 2 years - save the money on more expensive cellular amps, and see what rolls out ahead. (Of course, if the need is too strong, and having the capability of bringing the best cellular data/signal is required - of course do what you must do now.). 

No right or wrong on any of this. Just more tools in the tool bag, to help in this case - bring in a useable signal:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I just checked in with a friend that had picked up the latest newer cradle Sleek about 5 months ago. He said his too is not running very hot. So that is good. 

And I wanted to be clear, that I'm not knocking the Sleek's functionality. I do have one, and did use it, and older versions of Sleek too, waiting for Maximum Signal to finish the hoops that the FCC put them thru. 

I also have shifted our Data usage to a primarily be driven out of a Communications Cabinet, in the rear bedroom area of our 40' RV.  But I do like while sitting in the front zone, to have mine and my wife's cell phones to have good signals. Our internal antenna from the Maximum Signal Amp, is within 10-12' of our driving/passenger seats in the front of the cab. I've done Signal Pro testing with my Samsung S6, and in areas where cell tower coverage is say 1 - 1 1/2 bars strength - the Signal Pro indicates strong signal when I have the Maximum Signal Amp on. Using Speednet testing for Download speed, the Maximum Signal does help both the Samsung and my wife's Applie iPhone 7S speeds. So while checking google for something, or using maps, the Maximum Signal does provide an improvement. 

That being said, it does provide even better improvements, when sitting closer to it in a campground. DW is within 4' where she sits. I'm about 6-8' away from the internal antenna, depending upon where I set the phone down. And upon occasions, I've placed my phone (If in Hotspot mode.) and or one of MiFi's, within 18" of the Internal Antenna - which seems to provide the best possible Download Data speeds, while in remote/fringe coverage areas. Areas where the Sleek, was of no, to little, help - the higher gains of the Maximum Signal, have made a difference. 

I just wanted to be sure I did not come off as negative on the Sleek, as I knew and understood the lower gain capability of the unit when I bought it, and feel the price was fair for such a versatile and easy to move amp. A good choice for a hold over amp, until the 5G world sorts outL! I was disappointed that WeBoost did not agree for me to ship them my unit to evaluate, after I melted some of the vinyl, and literally yanked my hand away from the hot metal antenna connection area. Was only 90-100 days or so old at that time. Must have got the wrong Customer Service rep, and probably should have been more assertive. (But, I'd had others say their Sleeks of that time were running hot too.).

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived