Cherokee NC

solo318

As a kid we often took vacations to the Smokies. We usually stayed in the KOA in Cherokee. I've been reeding reviews planning our next adventure and am finding they are TERRIBLE. Can anyone with recent experience chime in and give me an honest opinion?

Is there a better place to take my family? I would love to go back and enjoy that part of the mountains.

As always. Thanks for your help and inspirations.

Last fall we stayed in Whittier, NC (10 miles from Cherokee) at Tuckaseegee CG.  It's on a river by the same name, all sites are back in.  It was $250 for the 7 nights.  The staff was very helpful.  We stayed there to ride the GSMRR,  The steam locomotive goes along the park on it's way to and from where it's stored to the railway station!  GREAT to watch and listen to it.   Greg

https://tuckaseegeervresort.com/?utm_source=rvparkreviews.com&utm_campaign=RVLife_Campgrounds&utm_medium=referral

https://www.gsmr.com/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

23 minutes ago, Big Greg said:

We stayed there to ride the GSMRR,  The steam locomotive goes along the park on it's way to and from where it's stored to the railway station!  GREAT to watch and listen to it

That's one of our reasons as well. We just got back from a steam train excursion in Chattanooga. I was hoping to "relive" some of my youth along the way in Cherokee.

Last fall we stayed in Riverbend CG (Pigeon Forge) which would be a little further from Cherokee but in the same general area.  We rode all over the Smokies and loved it so much we are heading back there Saturday for another week.

We just happened to find a different CG across the mountain in Dandridge TN while we were there last time.  It is named Anchor Down RV Resort.  It is right on Douglas Lake and pretty new.  Very nice park with great sites.  They have pontoon boat rentals available and of course a ton of other stuff to do in the immediate area.  It would be maybe 70 or 75 miles from Cherokee.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We just left Riverbend CC in Pigeon Forge today.  What a nice campground.  Very well maintained, friendly staff and very family oriented.  Just be prepared for the festival of tail lights on the Parkway.  We also go to Smoky Mountain Campground (float down the river to the back of your camper) or Deep Creek Campground (further from the Park and a little nicer) just outside of Bryson City.  Great tubing, hiking and you're minutes from Bryson City and Cherokee.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived