Umbrella policy for full timers

outtahere

I'm just starting my full timing adventure, and am in the process of changing my insurance to reflect that.  I'm insured with GEICO, and have been for many years.  I have all my insurance with them including an umbrella policy.  GEICO tells me they can't write vacation liability policies in Texas, which means they can't write the umbrella policy for my 5th wheel.  Right now with a California address, I have a vacation liability policy which meets the criteria for linking with my umbrella policy.  I'm not willing to go without the umbrella policy.  What do other full timers who use Livingston, or any Texas address, do about liability on their MH or towed unit?  I think Good Sam has a work around by calling it a personal liability policy rather than vacation liability.  Are there other companies that offer a high enough RV liability to link with an umbrella policy?

Thanks for any insights you may have.

7 minutes ago, outtahere said:

What do other full timers who use Livingston, or any Texas address, do about liability on their MH or towed unit?  I think Good Sam has a work around by calling it a personal liability policy rather than vacation liability.  Are there other companies that offer a high enough RV liability to link with an umbrella policy?

When we were on the road fulltime, we were domiciled on Rainbow Dr., Livingston and we had our fulltimer's coverage through AIS insurance. We also had a personal liability policy through them. It has been a few years since we reverted to part-time and we now have a local insurance agent.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have Geico using the Escapees So Dakota address and they were able to write an umbrella policy for me which also covers my Jeep, and Harley. Maybe you should consider the SD address rather than the TX address. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

5 hours ago, SWharton said:

We contacted both Miller and FCIS looking for Umbrella Liability, both would cover us and we use Livingston as our address.

X2  The vehicles are with General written by Miller. the Umbrella policies is by other carriers.

Clay Freightliner M2 and DRV Fifth wheel

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

It turns out that while Texas apparently doesn't allow "vacation liability" policies, other companies get around this by writing "personal liability" policies, which serve the same function.  At the suggestion of SWharton I called the Miller agency which had no problem with what I wanted to do.  I'm waiting for a quote now.  I also got a quote from Good Sam, so while there's a slight hiccup with using Texas, it appears only GEICO has a problem getting around it.

10 hours ago, SWharton said:

Good to hear things are working out..............You might want to ask Miller about your Geico policy and its validity for full timing. Full timing policies are not the same as vacation type policies.

I just switched to Geico a few months ago. In order to get an umbrella policy I had to get their full time coverage. It not only covers the contents but also liability while parked. The underlying policy’s liability is only good while moving. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Indeed I was speaking to GEICO about a full timers policy, and the agent said the only place they couldn't write vacation liability was in  TX, and that it had to do with something about the insurance regs   It appears there are other companies which don't have that problem, though.  When I finish getting quotes, I'll let you who I went with and why.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about "vacation liability," but we are insured with USAA (for going on 40 years now). All three vehicles - car, truck, fifth wheel. Auto, a renters' policy (covers contents of fifth wheel when parked plus the stuff we left in storage) and an umbrella policy. USAA requires that all your other insurance be with them in order to write the umbrella policy. USAA knows we are full-timers domiciled in Texas and there is a letter in our USAA file attesting to that fact.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I've been with GEICO for many years, and when I learned they couldn't write an umbrella policy in TX for fulltimers, I started to check around.  It turns out that while Miller and others could offer the coverage I wanted in Texas, the cost was over twice as much as the exact same coverage through GEICO in South Dakota.  Easy choice.  My address is now in Box Elder, SD.  Furthermore, although I wasn't worried about the special license I'd need in Texas, since I carried a CDL for years, SD lets you use your regular license for any RV so long as its only recreational hauling.  Getting my license in SD took a total of 20 minutes and involved only an eye test plus the usual documentation.  The cost of registration was less than half what I was paying, and the agencies for all that stuff are extremely friendly to fulltimers.  They even have legislation making it simple.  I'm pleased to be a SD domiciliary.

Archived