How 5G Could Transform Your RV Park Internet Connection

RV_

When the 5G crazy predictions and speeds I could not see it with current cell towers. I'm sure some may know how they will execute but I had no idea they were going to use micro cells in the way they are. I could see this in every RV park and town beating and creating real competition to cable wend even fiber.

Excerpt:

" Verizon is about to launch home internet service using 5G. This new wireless standard isn’t just about faster data for your smartphone—it could finally offer competition for home internet, breaking the cable companies’ local monopolies and giving you a choice.

This is About Verizon, But It’s Not About Verizon

Verizon is the first company to deliver home internet service via 5G, so we’re talking about Verizon a lot in this article. We know the details of their service and can compare it to cable internet. But this isn’t an advertisement for Verizon.

AT&T also plans to launch home internet over 5G by the end of 2018. T-Mobile and Sprint are claiming they will launch a similar service if only the government lets them merge first.

This is all exciting. These are multiple companies that can compete with each other! It’s very unlike wired internet service in most places in the US, where there’s one big cable company.

Imagine having a choice between internet service providers. Competition might force Comcast to lift that data cap—or provide good customer service. Seriously, have you ever been to an old-school Comcast service center? It’s like going to the DMV. They’ve gotten better with their more upscale Xfinity stores, but most places don’t have those yet.

Your modem communicates with Verizon devices placed every 500 to 1000 feet in your neighborhood. These may be placed on streetlamp poles, for example. That’s because 5G takes advantage of “millimeter waves” for super-fast speeds. These waves can’t easily travel through solid objects, so the 5G network needs nearby “small cells”  to enable these fast speeds. 5G doesn’t have to use millimeter waves and small cells, but that’s where much of the speed improvement comes from.

Verizon promises typical speeds of about 300 Mbps and peak speeds up to 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps)—and no data caps. The service costs $70 a month if you’re not already a Verizon customer and $50 per month if you are.

I pay Comcast about $70 per month for about 150 Mbps, and that’s with a contract—Comcast will charge me more for this speed in the future. Comcast enforces a 1 TB data cap on me, too. So I’d jump at the chance to switch to 5G for home internet if it worked as promised.

Verizon is launching its 5G Home service starting October 1, 2018, in Houston, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, and Sacramento."

End excerpt.

OK this will not be mobile for moving phones the way they explain it, but the majority of RVrs are not watching TV on the move. But I can see a very good revenue stream for Verizon owners like me to get GB speeds for $50 bucks unlimited and ditch my monopolistic take it or leave it cable bundle jerks! (OK any the self appointed holier than thou defenders of the cable scammers please, weigh in 😊 )

All the pics, specs are in the article here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/366259/how-5g-could-transform-your-home-internet-connection/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

After researching 5G as Mission TX is one of the early markets, the speeds are great.  But the need of transmitters every 500-1000 ft doesn't bode well for remote areas, like campgrounds.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Good point. Maybe they'll do a partial WiMax with microwave point to point for getting the bandwidth for actually remote parks. I guess it will only happen for suburban RV parks like here. Still a pretty interesting approach. And great competition for the cable companies.  If they have cable, odds are they could get this in the future. Maybe not we'll see.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The real challenge is where to place all those transmitters.  The 5G roll-out is running into conflicts with communities that want improved internet without putting any equipment in place.  They don't want modules on their light poles, a common location. This is not new, the communities that bitch the most about cellphone coverage make it near impossible to put transmitters up.  Not-in-my-backyard is not limited to prisons.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

11 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

After researching 5G as Mission TX is one of the early markets, the speeds are great.  But the need of transmitters every 500-1000 ft doesn't bode well for remote areas, like campgrounds.

We can only hope that they make it available in Retama. Anything would be better than what we have now. Of course, you can buy a new home and get fiber.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes it would be great for the monopoly, Greenfield Communications, to have some competition.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

39 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

We can only hope that they make it available in Retama. Anything would be better than what we have now. Of course, you can buy a new home and get fiber.....

Were Verizon inclined to do it, assuming they could achieve something close to the stated 1000' range, they could cover the vast majority, if not all of the homes in Retama and a substantial portion of Tanglewood from the utility poles on Military Road, without the need to access the street lighting poles in either subdivision.

I hadn't heard that they were now going to offer fiber in Retama, limited to new construction, but that certainly sounds about right.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

27 minutes ago, Phil D said:

I hadn't heard that they were now going to offer fiber in Retama, limited to new construction, but that certainly sounds about right.

As far as I know, they have not said that, Phil. But since they have it right there, and they are offering it in Tanglewood, I'd speculate that they will offer it in the new phases. Why not put it in? It is actually easier and cheaper to do that the stuff they do now. (counting ongoing maintenance). Retrofitting it will never happen, though. If they DID put it in that would interest me in buying something in a new Phase. Otherwise, I see little that is compelling for me to move "forward".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived