ECM Requires Maintenance - Dash Warning Volvo Fixed Air In Fuel -

Cotreker

On a number of recent trips my dash will flash "ECM Requires Maintenance".  This summer I replaced the batteries and of course this message came up, false alarm.  However the truck has not been start very well this summer on 2nd or even 3rd crank.  I use the truck about every 2 weeks and keep the new batteries on a trickle charger.

Have cleaned wires at batteries and checked for any loose connections, even use dia-electric greese.  Any starting tips I should be doing, key on for 20 seconds, they chank.  Hit fuel pedal or not.??

?Is there an issue with my ECM that only Volvo can address?

Dennis

2006 Volvo VNL 670

New oil and fuel filters

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Did you check your ECM power fuses at the battery while you were  “cleaning things up”?   There are usually 2 or 3 fuse holders that supply battery power to your various  computers. Those fuse holders can get mighty dirty!  Sometimes it’s just time to replace the fuses with new ones due to all of the vibration. Good idea to add this to your regular maintenance checklist.

8 hours ago, Cotreker said:

No fuses are located directly on battery. I will look futher up the cables. Any other suggestions as where to look for these fuses? 

Mine is just one year older than yours and I have inline fuses on all of the smaller wires that connect to the batteries. Could someone have put a fuse block in and removed them?  Try following those smaller wires for a bit.  

EDIT: Although I suppose the difference could be engine type? What engine do you have?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Same engine I have...hmm. Where did your fuses go?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Checked fuse ok, cleaned terminals added more dialectic greese and tightened all posts.  Still started after three attempts.  Last run just 4 days prior to this, no battery charger connected so I could read true voltage of all 4 batteries.  12.72 volts as expected.

At a loss to why truck will not start on first attempt or second.  On rare occasions it will. Do I live with this or let Volvo take a look?

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Fix it, before it get's more serious.  These symptoms are just a warning of something failing.

Did all of this begin when the batteries were replaced, or before hand?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Cotreker - I’m not a Volvo-familiar person - but - are you saying this condition is new? In other words the engine could sit for weeks and start instantly vs now it wants to be turned over for some time? As in enough time that the voltage drop on the batteries is causing the ecm to whine about voltage? 

What happens when you begins with fully tendered batteries and cold engine when you crank one time until it starts? Don’t go over 30-45seconds depending on ambient temp and overheat the starter...

it reads like you are cranking in short goes....

Modern engines goes through some “boot up” sequences before fuel is injected - depending on outside temperature etc

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

If the engine is turning over at a normal cranking speed, then you may have a fuel issue.  I'm wondering if the fuel tail is draining and having to reprime.  Have you had a fuel filter change recently?  There is a check valve in the system that goes bad and allows the system to lose pressure.  

Maybe others will chime in about the fuel side.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Has been happening even prior to the new batteries.  I just hit the fuel primer this morning, temp outside is 47 degrees.  Started on the secend long start about 20 seconds.  Could this be a sensor?  Maybe weak cam sensor?

Truck has been plugged into a battery trickle charger batteries new this summer all 4.

Oil and fuel filter change begining of the summer.

Please give me more ideas of what to check.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

This problem has been around for awhile, rarley has the truck started off on first chank, but it did in the past. This problem appears to be getting worse, can not have this issue go into the winter months.  As for the pump, this is the first time I have ever used it, after a few strokes fuel came out the overflow area next to the pump.  What should I look for when pumping and how many strokes?

I do not own a code reader, how much are they and where to buy.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Ok, I read  my book and then saw the youTube.  I have codes to read but not sure which to address.  Should I reset my codes to clean out the old codes and then see what come up fresh?

A few interesting codes: 

1. Fuel Feed Pressure - Mechanical fault - Inactive

# of events 2

MID 128

PID 94

FMI 7

#2 Injector #6

6 Events did not write down additional details

#3 SAE J1939 Data Link Data Erratic

# of events 4

#4 Component Failure (so does the MID, PID, FMI explain the failures?)

# of events 3

This morning I primed my fuel system with about 7 strokes.  Started after 2 attempts 20 seconds hitting the key.  So 6 hours later the truck started right away (BIG SMILE) to read codes.  I shut down the engine and attempted to start it again and it fired right up.  Normally it hard starts when it is warm, weird.

Did priming the fuel system appear fix things?  I will do a test start Monday or Tuesday.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Checked fuse ok, cleaned terminals added more dialectic greese and tightened all posts.  Still started after three attempts.  Last run just 4 days prior to this, no battery charger connected so I could read true voltage of all 4 batteries.  12.72 volts as expected.

At a loss to why truck will not start on first attempt or second.  On rare occasions it will. Do I live with this or let Volvo take a look?

Ready for some tips where to look for leaks?

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

I would clear all the codes before starting it again and see what you get. You may have a small leak on the injector that was mentioned in the fault codes. Priming usually takes more than 7 strokes if you had an air leak and I’m wondering if you should see fuel coming out of the primer. Primers have known to leak and caused hard starting. Just a thought. Usually an air leak in your fuel line doesn’t trigger an “ECM” code unless the leak is causing another issue that the ECM would care about. 

Archived