Question for full-timers domiciled in Washington State

Hi All!

We will be graduating to full-time status in 2019 and plan to keep residency in Washington State after we sell our house.  We have verified that it is not an issue to continue to be a WA resident for tax purposes, or for voting purposes.  We are keeping our rented RV storage space so that is also not an issue. The only possible hangup is the enhanced drivers' license (EDL): WA requires a physical address, but they don't get specific on what they consider a physical address. They state that they allow those who live on boats to use a private mailbox, and one would assume this would extend to full-time RVers but they don't explicitly state that. The place that stores our RV has private mailboxes but they will not forward mail, so there goes our original plan...

I am interested in hearing from anyone who is also a WA resident, and who currently full times, on whether using a PMB like a UPS Store address has been an issue for you in terms of your enhanced drivers license.

Thanks!

Mary

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I suggest that you visit your local DMV office or the driver's license office and ask them what will be acceptable. You might even ask what the boat people are doing.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That's a reasonable answer, Kirk, but here's why I'm not going to do that...

When we moved here, my husband gathered the required docs for the EDL and went into the local DMV. Sailed through the process without a hitch.  A week later, I went in with the exact same documents and met with the same person he did.  She glanced at them and said "this is not sufficient proof of residency. You'll have to come back with different documentation."  To which I replied: "that's interesting, because you just processed my husband's EDL with these same documents. I'll be happy to wait right here while you provide me with a copy of the state's new legislation passed within the week between his visit and mine, requiring different documentation. Take your time, I have all day." (Her coworkers could barely contain themselves - apparently she's a battleaxe and is rarely challenged.) 

Anyway, asking the DMV is a last resort, and the answer would depend on which employee you spoke to and their mood that day. I'd like to hear from others who are using a PMB as to whether it has been flagged by the DMV as a non-physical address.

If you haven't sold your house yet, why not use that to get your EDL?  Here in NY, at least, DMV let's you give them a mailing address in addition to your 'physical' address.

As a Plan B, why not just get a regular driver's license and apply at the post office for a Passport Card for border crossings?  Again, use your current physical house as your address.  Nice thing about passport cards vs EDLs is that the Passport Card is good for 10 years.

Anyway, just a couple of random thoughts . . .

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

I guess I was not clear.  We currently have EDLs and our house address is the address on them.  In WA you have a whopping 10 days after moving to change the address on your drivers license (standard or enhanced), so my question has to do with whether changing it to a PMB at that time will be flagged by the DMV. 

While we're waiting for the WA folks with PMB addresses to respond, a couple of questions for you.

First, why is it important to keep WA as your residence (domicile also?)?

Next, let's say you get one, two, ... WA folks with PMBs who say it's all good. How many would you need to feel comfortable doing the same?

Finally, despite your negative DMV experience (you are not a minority of one), I would think their opinion would carry more weight than several forum posters.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1) We own a business domiciled in WA and we know from experience that moving to a different state is a hassle in this regard.

2) WA has no personal  income tax, reasonable business taxes, and allows us to forego unemployment taxes on ourselves as owners of the corporation.

3) WA is a death with dignity state.

4) We have lived in FL before and if needed we will change our domicile back to FL, but it would be much easier if we did not have to.  As mentioned earlier, WA is no problem in terms of maintaining residency for tax purposes or for voting purposes.  The only question is the DL. 

5) We can agree to disagree about the veracity of an opinion from the hourly drones who work for the WA DMV.

....Still hoping to hear from some folks from WA who use a PMB about their experience...

5 hours ago, LifeUnderway said:

When we moved here, my husband gathered the required docs for the EDL and went into the local DMV. Sailed through the process without a hitch.  A week later, I went in with the exact same documents and met with the same person he did.  She glanced at them and said "this is not sufficient proof of residency. You'll have to come back with different documentation."  To which I replied: "that's interesting, because you just processed my husband's EDL with these same documents. I'll be happy to wait right here while you provide me with a copy of the state's new legislation passed within the week between his visit and mine, requiring different documentation. Take your time, I have all day." (Her coworkers could barely contain themselves - apparently she's a battleaxe and is rarely challenged.)

You are a woman after my own heart. Yay, for those of us who stand up to bureaucrats who abuse their power.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

All the Washington fulltimers i know, including myself, use a street address of a relative or friend for their domicile.  We also have passports and thus do not need EDLs. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

16 hours ago, LifeUnderway said:

Hi All!

We will be graduating to full-time status in 2019 and plan to keep residency in Washington State after we sell our house.  We have verified that it is not an issue to continue to be a WA resident for tax purposes...………………...

I am interested in hearing from anyone who is also a WA resident, and who currently full times, on whether using a PMB like a UPS Store address has been an issue for you in terms of your enhanced drivers license.

Thanks!

Mary

It would certainly be easier if when someone posts a question to a specific group of people that only that group of people with that experience answer.  Guess everyone is just trying to be helpful even though most that answered aren't from Washington and/or not full timers.  Hang in there Mary, I'm sure the folks you really want to hear from will be along.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived