Took Parents for a ride this weekend in the 780

Vegas Teacher

Well Hello all, I turn 47 tomorrow. I can't believe 50 is so close to happening.

My mom and dad flew out to Vegas, from Pittsburg Kansas, (About 30 miles from Jack's place)  to see me over my birthday. They had seen pictures of the semi, and I had described it to them. I was going to drive it home one year at Christmas but Dolly Trolley told me I would kill somebody and turn a soccer mom into a big ball of fire as I crashed through her mini van, wind up in prison and be sued for millions of dollars because I did not belong behind the wheel of a semi, so since he was so nice an painted such a pretty picture I decided not to drive home at Christmas.

Well my parents came out and I decided it was time to introduce them to the 780............

Sunday morning we went to Via Brazil for brunch it was very good. Via Brazil is a Brazilian steak house. Brunch is 25.00 and 19.99 on special. They have a live cooking station that does fresh crepes, waffles, pancakes and omelettes. 

Next we went back home to let the dogs out and then I took them over to see the semi. We got in the semi, both parents were impressed by how much room it had in it. We drove down to Primm Nevada, that is about 30 miles outside of town, at the California state line. While there we went to see the actual Bonnie and Clyde car on display at Whiskey Pete's then over to the Primm Valley resort to the outlet mall for my mom to walk through. Got back to the house around 7:00 p.m. I parked at the truck stop in the middle of all of the other semi's and my mom and dad had their picture taken with the semi. I have lived here for almost 20 years now. Finding new places to take them or see is kind of difficult after that long. 

They enjoyed the ride in the semi. I pointed out that in an F350 or 450 or 3500 / 4500 series Chevy / Dodge you did not get this much room, stability on the road or pulling / stopping power. I also pointed out how comfortable the ride was and they agreed. They did not understand at first why I went and bought a semi, after seeing everything now they understand. Oh last but not least when coming back to Vegas we came up behind an F 150 with a 30 bumper tow behind it. The bumper tow was dancing back and forth and the truck was having a hard time in traffic. I pointed out that technically the weight rating said it "Could" do the job but as they could see it did not do the job. Closed on the semi vs pickem' up truck.

Even at our age (I'm 45) our parents still think we are still a bunch of dumb kids. My Dad is a life long trucker. He thought I was nuts for using a semi to pull a camper. When my brother told him what I was up to he called me and said you don't need that. Just go buy another pickup. When I got it done I swung by his house and I could see in his eyes he liked it. He didn't say much. He didn't have to. He did take a bunch of pictures. All he really said was Well I guess if you are going through the mountains this is better than a pickup.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Happy birthday Cory.  Glad your parents enjoyed themselves. You have had quite the adventure in the process of getting and owning your truck. You have a lot of perseverance, and that is to be admired. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

9 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Happy birthday Cory.  Glad your parents enjoyed themselves. You have had quite the adventure in the process of getting and owning your truck. You have a lot of perseverance, and that is to be admired. :)

Jack,

If I ever get back home would really like to meet you! I am not sure when it will be now. I thought I was going to make it last summer just did not fit it in. I got my cab air bags done and it is very nice now. I saw a picture with horizontal shocks really liked that idea on the cab, my truck does not have those.

Do you know how much effort is needed to do the Donvel stuff to your truck?

Also thanks to the people like you who have encouraged me to keep going even when I was getting depressed.

Later,

Cory O

Happy Birthday Cory. Glad the truck is coming along. When you coming through here again? :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Sweet!! It's my turn to buy breakfast, so don't forget to yell at me. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

14 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Cory the Donvals are very easy to put in. A sharp knife is all you need. It takes about 5 minutes. Got them for the seats as well and for the rear air springs. They are wll worth it. They really stop the cab movement. They would be a good birthday present. Happy Birthday.

You may also consider buying the correct tubing cutter, they are very inexpensive and helps to keep the cut in the tubing straight.

https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlus-TC-Plastic-Cutter-Tubing/dp/B00BU9K07S/ref=pd_sim_263_24?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BU9K07S&pd_rd_r=2082cafb-c17f-11e8-927d-0f05195ffcd2&pd_rd_w=1GCXS&pd_rd_wg=IuxkT&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=FKXSSNDXW9W57X5Z7TXY&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=FKXSSNDXW9W57X5Z7TXY

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

19 hours ago, Big5er said:

Sweet!! It's my turn to buy breakfast, so don't forget to yell at me. 

Phil,

I would never miss breakfast with you at Love's. I will have a 6 pack of Diet, Dr. on the truck for you. As always I never miss one of your posts because I know you speak with knowledge and authority of the law. Your posts are much appreciated and educational

Later,

Cory O. 

On 9/24/2018 at 8:25 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

Well Hello all, I turn 47 tomorrow. I can't believe 50 is so close to happening.

My mom and dad flew out to Vegas, from Pittsburg Kansas, (About 30 miles from Jack's place)  to see me over my birthday. They had seen pictures of the semi, and I had described it to them. I was going to drive it home one year at Christmas but Dolly Trolley told me I would kill somebody and turn a soccer mom into a big ball of fire as I crashed through her mini van, wind up in prison and be sued for millions of dollars because I did not belong behind the wheel of a semi, so since he was so nice an painted such a pretty picture I decided not to drive home at Christmas.

Well my parents came out and I decided it was time to introduce them to the 780............

Sunday morning we went to Via Brazil for brunch it was very good. Via Brazil is a Brazilian steak house. Brunch is 25.00 and 19.99 on special. They have a live cooking station that does fresh crepes, waffles, pancakes and omelettes. 

Next we went back home to let the dogs out and then I took them over to see the semi. We got in the semi, both parents were impressed by how much room it had in it. We drove down to Primm Nevada, that is about 30 miles outside of town, at the California state line. While there we went to see the actual Bonnie and Clyde car on display at Whiskey Pete's then over to the Primm Valley resort to the outlet mall for my mom to walk through. Got back to the house around 7:00 p.m. I parked at the truck stop in the middle of all of the other semi's and my mom and dad had their picture taken with the semi. I have lived here for almost 20 years now. Finding new places to take them or see is kind of difficult after that long. 

They enjoyed the ride in the semi. I pointed out that in an F350 or 450 or 3500 / 4500 series Chevy / Dodge you did not get this much room, stability on the road or pulling / stopping power. I also pointed out how comfortable the ride was and they agreed. They did not understand at first why I went and bought a semi, after seeing everything now they understand. Oh last but not least when coming back to Vegas we came up behind an F 150 with a 30 bumper tow behind it. The bumper tow was dancing back and forth and the truck was having a hard time in traffic. I pointed out that technically the weight rating said it "Could" do the job but as they could see it did not do the job. Closed on the semi vs pickem' up truck.

Teach.....   Long time not much "advice" given to you......(that might change).

While I have napped away the summer on Oregon I assume the V. Flyer has been in charge of saving your hide as well as keeping soccer-moms from being road-kill from the great pumpkin.

I was  considering buying you lunch at one of the Cat-houses in Pahrump when we wonder down for the winter stay however.....it seems only right the you buy again since Flyer and I have kept you alive for another year......

Oh yes your parents know your still a "kid" and just because your "toy-truck" is full size your still a.......kid.

Remember..... presently Flyer is still in charge of keeping you and everyone near you alive... 

Now before you go off and defame or flame me (or Flyer).......remember.......YOU told me that he worst people to teach ANYTHING to is a.......TEACHER!!!!!

So stop defaming and save up for lunch at the cat house when I hit town....

Drive on....(Looking to lunch with Flyer and .....Teach)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, Dollytrolley said:

Teach.....   Long time not much "advice" given to you......(that might change).

While I have napped away the summer on Oregon I assume the V. Flyer has been in charge of saving your hide as well as keeping soccer-moms from being road-kill from the great pumpkin.

I was  considering buying you lunch at one of the Cat-houses in Pahrump when we wonder down for the winter stay however.....it seems only right the you buy again since Flyer and I have kept you alive for another year......

Oh yes your parents know your still a "kid" and just because your "toy-truck" is full size your still a.......kid.

Remember..... presently Flyer is still in charge of keeping you and everyone near you alive... 

Now before you go off and defame or flame me (or Flyer).......remember.......YOU told me that he worst people to teach ANYTHING to is a.......TEACHER!!!!!

So stop defaming and save up for lunch at the cat house when I hit town....

Drive on....(Looking to lunch with Flyer and .....Teach)

Trolley you are so full of fecal matter. Hey I knew I would get your attention with that wonderful opening. I want you to know I smiled and laughed out loud as I was typing it.

Yes I will buy your old @$$ Lunch, I just knew you would love getting flamed like that. You got any rusted bolts for me to work on on your rig???????

Later,

Vegas Teacher.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:51 PM, solo318 said:

What part of Florida? I'm right outside Daytona.

I want to take 10 into Florida then hug the west coast and drop south. I have not planned out a route yet but that is a beautiful state. If I have time I would love to go fishing on Lake Okeechobee. I am a Large mouth Bass Fisherman and that is like a pilgrimage to the promise land of fishing. I grew up watching Roland Martin pull big old bass out of there.

Later,

Cory Ossana 

1 hour ago, Dollytrolley said:

You're nothing but a juvenile delinquent, as long as your father is alive........  Told to me, in front of Dad, by a 90+ y/o guy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, noteven said:

Dolly - go to 135.4 cone of silence mode - do I try for transport of “real” Crown from the home country? Does VT touch the stuff? Over

VT will never get to the "Crown-age" the way he is headed ..    however V. Flyer and I will need to have a few Crown shots to endure the ......"child-with-tha-truck-fetish".....

He ain't too bad for a kid....and he is pretty good at buying lunch..... shucks Not why Not rattle down to Last Chance Peak camp and join us for lunch on Teach.... .it's tons of fun scaring him with tales of trucks gone bad..... 

Drive on........( How many folks can Teach buy lunch???)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hey are you guys talking about crown royal only every afternoon after school when I get home. Also you old fart trying to hang up in this nice young man almost wants to make me go cry to my wife about all you bullies out there. You all realize I am joking right. So yes if you get close to Vegas or p ahrump look me up and we might be able to work something out for lunch. Now trolley has mentioned stuff about the chicken ranch but as a teacher I can't go to those places, something about wanting to keep my job. You guys keep on laughing, joking with me, giving me he'll and having a great time. I love it and I am sure the other readers appreciate all of the humor in the thread.

Later Cory Ossana 

5 hours ago, Scrap said:

So didja make it through all the cones and short signs getting around and into that truckstop?  I mighta flattened one good on Monday....  That place is a bit of work to get into right now!

Good Story - Sunday I did not allow for people going back to California. For those of you not from this part of the country I-15 is a mess going back to L.A. from Las Vegas, plus they now have this new check station for everybody across the entire southbound lane of I - 15 going into California. This wonderful new check point causes traffic backups. Between Jean NV and Primm traffic was backed up. I had to go in stop and go traffic for over an hour. This is normally 15 minutes. Finally we made it to the Exit. Once again I have to quote the old man Dolly Trolley ( I know he is gonna get on me for that, I am laughing out loud as I type this ) "You have to play nice with the smaller animals." I was more than ready to drive right over a few drivers from California without remorse or regret, people are so stupid, they think these big rigs can stop on a dime like cars, or they can just zip in front of you. So my mom is in the cab and I have to watch my language, yes even at 47 I still do not use profanity around my parents. But my blood pressure probably went up 10 points on that trip. I think I might have taken out a cone too. Lots of them out there.

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory O 

Archived