New Mexico US64 between Taos and Chama

SWharton

Assuming the weather cooperates we are planning to drive US 64 across NM in a few weeks, heading for Page with numerous stops, East to West.

I have read many past threads but nothing recent. We are driving a 36' MH with toad. We are OK with mountain driving.

How is the road now? Is this doable? If not, I need to revisit our plans.

I have looked at Moutain directory which is prompting this thread.

Thanks

If you are use to mountain driving, in my opinion US-64 is not bad. Coming from the East, in my recollection. the climb from Cimarron to Eagle Nest although not listed in the Mountain Directory is a long up hill pull through Cimarron Canyon. I don't know about this year, but in the past the road from Angel Fire to Taos has been pretty bad surface with a lot of chipping at the road edge and in some places not much shoulder. I didn't think the drive to Chama was bad at all and have done it several times.  I am always more concerned about the down hills than the ups.  In my recollection, nothing on US-64 is near like driving US-191 South into Vernal, UT.

We've done both directions with the 40' MH.  I don't believe certain sections are more than 6% grades which aren't biggies in mountain driving.  We didn't have any issues either direction.  Beautiful drive!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would report back. We just traveled US64 East to West from Amarillo(starting point) to Chama. I believe we traversed 5 passes from 8700' to 11000'. No problems whatsoever. The 11000'  was interesting. We were in fog/clouds, rain etc. Had to put on the 4-ways as visibility was poor and we were going slow. Luckily this is a little traveled road so there were no problems. MH transmission worked well, all temp gauges never moved from dead center. We have a gas MH and this was its first serious test in the mountains, very pleased.

Now I would like some input on traveling from Page, Az to Jacob Lake via 89A. Is this comfortably doable?

43 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Now I would like some input on traveling from Page, Az to Jacob Lake via 89A. Is this comfortably doable?

Glad to hear you had a good journey. It has been several years since we drove 89A between Fredonia and Page. I don't remember it being particularly difficult. You might consider getting a copy of the Mountain Directory. It gives pretty detailed descriptions of many of the routes that RVers may travel.

You stated Page to Jacob Lake via 89A:  Again, we've done it multiple times with no problem. Since you didn't have any issue on 64 I think you'll find it to be an o.k. drive.

From Page going south on 89 you'll have 4 miles of steady 6%.  Then you'll come to the intersection of 89A.  The first miles are easy.  Close to Jacob Lake you'll have a 10-mile uphill with easy curves. On your left at the top will be a huge pullover area. Stop there and take in the views of what you just climbed!

Enjoy!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks a lot. We do have the Mountain Directory and after reading that we had a panic attack. We have always had an MDT(Allison transmission) and 5th, no questions on any passes with that combo. We now have a gas MH and don't have much experience with it and steep, long roads. Still on a learning curve with it. That is why we are asking for some real world experience. Gaining confidence though seems to work fine with the transmission we have. Just don't want to get ourselves into a scary situation that could have been prevented.

55 minutes ago, SWharton said:

We do have the Mountain Directory and after reading that we had a panic attack.

Keep in mind that 6% grades are not uncommon on the interstates. I start to pay attention and reconsider routes when there are descriptions of 8-10% downhill grades with low speed turns and multiple switchbacks.

Archived