Microsoft: Upcoming Windows Update Might Fail If Your Hard Drive is Too Full

RV_

OK, the big updates every year now are the Spring and Fall updates where we essentially get all new Windows installations free of charge.

Some RVrs are limited in data available so  in addition to the Windows device storage, RVrs with data limitations need to be aware a big one is coming in October.

I have two 32 bit systems that each have only 64GB of internal storage. Both update Windows 10 just fine despite both having only 64GB of internal storage, and 2GB of RAM.  One is a Voyo mini desktop I bought in 2014 as my extra computer system. It has 64GB internal and USB3 as well as a micro SD card slot for expanding storage. It is the slowest with updates but not by much. I have a 64GB USB 3.0 drive attached to it all the time and never have issues with large updates. The other is a Dell Venue 11 pro tablet with full 1080 HD and USB 3.0 as well as HDMI out and the battery is user replaceable! I took off the back and checked after reading that. However, even though it started out as a Windows 8 tablet from 2013. It will handle the update just fine despite having the same internal storage and RAM as the Voyo mini.

I bought only tablets and mini PCs with 64GB of storage as I did once buy an 8" Lenovo Windows tablet with 32GB of storage and 2GB of RAM and it only had about 5GB of free storage after loading my programs on it! I returned it for a full refund after testing it for a week. It was the only computer I ever returned new. here were actually some really cheap Windows 10 tablets and hybrids/two in ones sold with 1 GB of RAM and 32 GB storage. This update will be their last I believe. My Surface pros have way more. My Pro3 i5 has 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM. My Pro 4 i7 has 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Our desktop all in ones and my new backup tower with separate monitor all have 8-12GB or more of RAM and one with 2TB hard drive and 32gb SSD. My SH'a all in one has a 500GB Samsung SSD.

Some folks even bought systems with 1GB of RAM and 32GB storage. I doubt they will make it.

Excerpt:

"In a support document, Microsoft acknowledges that Windows 10's Windows Update fails to check PCs for adequate storage before it kicks off, an oversight that may cause the upcoming feature update to repeatedly fail unless the PC has enough space to download and install it.

Microsoft hasn't said exactly how much space the upcoming October Update will require, but the company recommends a "regular regimen of system maintenance to help ensure that updates are successful." That involves regularly banishing unused files to the cloud or deleting temporary files.

[ Further reading: Our best Windows 10 tricks, tips and tweaks ]

Fortunately, Microsoft already provides some tools to help you with this, including an automated routine that you can turn on with a toggle: Storage Sense. Found within Settings > System > Storage, toggling on Storage Sense will automatically delete temp files in the Recycle Bin every 30 days, and will do the same for your Downloads folder if you wish. (This latter feature is off by default, as some people use Downloads as a general repository for random files downloaded from the Internet.) "

See the whole PCWorld article with screen shots and related links here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3307184/windows/windows-10-october-2018-update-cannot-detect-full-drives.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

You can also change the location of where windows updates will download to and run from. 

I have a little 2-in-1 that came with just 32gb and it was pretty full from almost day one, so i plugged in a 128gb micro sd card and then set that card as a default for everything. It has a slot for that but you could also use an external USB drive as long as it is always pluged in. Changing default drives for folders such as Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. is pretty straightforward and can be done from settings. The Windows update location is more complex and this is a good tutorial on how to do it.

How to change Windows 10 Updates download folder location

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

i plugged in a 128gb micro sd card and then set that card as a default for everything.

I did that same thing with an Asus tablet/notebook that I got to use when traveling. It has worked quite well for that purpose. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Because I have a few PCs to update, I create a USB drive with the update image.  At the remote facility I support, I create a .iso CD Image that we do the updates from.   

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Mark, good idea when data streams are limited.

Chalkie, in my post above you may have missed this line:

"I have a 64GB USB 3.0 drive attached to it all the time and never have issues with large updates."

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 9/24/2018 at 8:36 PM, RV_ said:

Mark, good idea when data streams are limited.

Chalkie, in my post above you may have missed this line:

"I have a 64GB USB 3.0 drive attached to it all the time and never have issues with large updates."

No I did not miss that, I was just trying to provide the directions on how to change that default location as it is not a straight forward operation to change the windows update location.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Thanks Chalkie, good post albeit a bit advanced for the average user.

I cannot understand why manufacturers put out 32GB storage machines, and again urge folks to just buy 64GB at a minimum, or even better 128GB onboard storage machines. I have 64GB on my toy computer, and it is enough to handle anything Windows updates has thrown at it. https://www.geekbuying.com/item/VOYO-Mini-PC-Windows-8-1-4K-Media-Player-Intel-Z3735F-2G-RAM-64G-ROM-WIFI-Bluetooth---White-341214.html

I would not recommend it today as it ran Windows 8.1 at a time we could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Now it would cost an additional hundred bucks for Windows 10.

My point is that with this update, once installed, one new feature in it is that Windows update will check for space, and can/will be able to, automatically use one drive for Windows updates that need more space than available.

But that only after this update is installed. Useful for computers with 64GB or more but 32GB machines are just too limited for me. They are usable with some versions of Linux, But even they recommended 20GB for optimal use:

"This is for Mint 17...

System requirements:
x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
2GB RAM
10 GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
DVD drive or USB port

source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2653 "

Although sold still, I advise folks to not buy any Windows 10 machine, tablet, mini PC, with less than 64GB of internal storage, even if they are planning to wipe it and use Linux.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived