Sooner than I thought

sheldons65

Have been following this forum for years with the desire to become a full-timer. At 53 I may get the chance to become a full-timer sooner than expected. As I was searching apartments I thought hey what not do this now? It will also fit well with work. 

Just bought a 2018 Toyota Trunda to replace an older pickup, but without this opportunity yet in mind. I ran the calculator we use on here. Probably will be looking at 6500ish lbs and 24-26 ft travel trailer. Would also do the equalizer weight distribution hitch. 

I'm a little out of touch with TT brands I should be evaluating. Was thinking:

- Arctic fox/Nash

- Keystone

What else? Airsteam is not really what I'm looking for. Yes you can full-time in anything :D

People also have some really nice info here about internet connections. I'll definitely need a good one. And a place to use 3 monitors and a tower type PC, even though I do use a notebook.

Thanks for any ideas!

I already live in Texas and have joined Escapees today. 

Welcome to Escapees! I full timed in larger 35 foot 5th wheels but am married with a dog always. However we bought a tiny 19 foot Scamp that was not ordered with the layout I would have ordered new buy it is great for weekends and month long trips when we go house hunting soon. You can tow a Scamp fiver with any truck. I prefer a Cummins diesel in a long bed Ram 2500. Arctic fox would be a good bet too. I have been off the road and not going looking at new so I am sure others will chime in here.

Check em out: https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/19-deluxe-trailers/19-deluxe-trailer-layout-a.html#!20160219_102654_clipped_rev_1_751

Were I single I could full time in one. If you are near the factory go take a look. They are in Backus, Minnesota

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Welcome to the active crowd! It is good to have you take part in things and we will do all we can to help you.

We currently own a 19' Sportsman from KZ but it is an ultra light and I would not recommend it for fulltime. KZ does build some heavier trailers that are also better insulated which may qualify for your use. The Arctic Fox line is very highly rated and one that I would put near the top of the list. The fiberglass egg trailers are well built and stand up well, but the shape means that they have little storage and most have a wet bath which I'd not be happy with. I would suggest you look at them, but be sure that one will fit for you. We really liked the Casita line as they are built near here, but the bath just didn't work. I would also look at Jayco and Heartland.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The "eggs" (Casita, Scamp, Oliver.etc.) tend to not have a lot of height inside them so be sure to check that out if you are over 6' tall.

I loved my wet bath because a quick wipe down with a microfiber cloth after every shower meant the bathroom was always clean.

Arctic Fox is a popular brand in several configurations. All the blogs I read by owners of them are always positive about their experiences with them.

I know nothings about Keystone. Doesn't mean it isn't a good rig; just that I don't know anyone who has one.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Sheldon,

My apologies. I thought you'd asked which type we preferred not specifically a Travel Trailer. I usually refer folks to the fiberglass egg TTs and fivers if they have a half ton truck as I believe the Tundra may be. The comments on Scamp interiors are correct, the baths are very tiny, best for a weekend rig like we use ours for.

It looks like you are calculating weights. Make sure you use the truck's GCWR or Gross combined weight rating, to be sure with any rig. That combines your truck's loaded and fueled weight with only a driver, and the trailer as loaded with water, propane, batteries etc all weighed on scales.

With any half ton truck you will always be on the edge with anything over 25 feet.

Sorry for the misread, must have been an oldtimer's moment.

Kirk has owned TTs I have not. So he can advise you much better than I can as can Linda.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks RV, no worries you helped answer my question. I was curious about some of the manufacturers I should be looking at for travel trailers. Likewise there are some 5th wheel trailers compatible with 1/2 ton trucks but I believe they may be more associated with weekenders. 

I recently bought a Tundra just a few weeks but before realizing this about the window of opportunity  I now have to become a full-timer. However I believe it would work fine with a "keep it simple" concept.

I used all the available weight and towing data for my truck with the calculator so I've got a good idea of what is feasible in terms of size. Now I just need to research models, features, and internet connections. 

One thing to keep in mind is the maximum towing capacity is figured using a trailer with minimal frontal area like a small utility  or single horse trailer, or a flatbed trailer with a box of bricks or iron on it.

An RV trailer or 5th wheel is taller and wider with significantly more frontal area, which means it needs more power to carve a hole through the air.  If you're towing near or at the stated maximum weight for your truck, this added drag can overtax the engine and drivetrain and make towing a less than pleasurable experience.

Ford clearly states the total frontal area for each model in their online tow guides.  It ranges from no larger than the vehicle itself for their passenger cars to 60 sq ft. for their largest pickups.  That's 7.5 ft. X 8 ft, still smaller than most RV trailers. 

Toyota doesn't put this information online, but I remember seeing it in the fine print at the rear of their printed towing guide.  However, I'm on the road and can't locate it now.

In any case, it's something you should look into before you load up your Tundra to the max with a wide and tall trailer.

Welcome to the group!

What about buying a used TT or light 5'er that your Tundra could handle and use it for a year or two while you get used to what the full-time life really is like? You will then be in a better position to decide what you really need. Normally I would suggest that you take a couple of years to do your research, but it sounds like you have a good opportunity to jump now and you are interested in doing so.

Why used? You can get a better trailer for the same money and you won't lose as much on depreciation. Keep in mind that tires and batteries age out at 5-7 years, so pay attention to the date codes.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I've been studying this concept and on the forums for probably 5 years. About the last 2 years got sidetracked with other things in life but still kept fairly up to date in reading this forum and observing RVs. I'll probably have an opportunity to make such a move in the next 3 to 4 months. 

However, I didn't expect to do it initially in a travel trailer. I've found some design concepts I like. One issue with buying a travel trailer used is finding something without things I don't want or need like bunk beds, outdoor cooking bay etc. Many of them are oriented for families. And as I typically work from a home office when not traveling by air around the world for business or visiting the headquarters, I need enough space to turn part of this TT into an office. But I will continue to look at used. 

I also wouldn't be traveling with it all over North America but in the Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas region, just moving wherever I feel like and maybe two trips to Minnesota annually for work. 

My plan to become a full-time retired person is still on track in about 9 years.

Thanks for all the advice on towing and the limitations of a 1/2 ton truck. The calculators are handy. Plus it's easy to estimate a TT loaded for living. A single person could easily have +1,500 lbs of water, propane and stuff.

You state you plan to be full-time and retired in 9 years.  A lot can change before then so probably don't get too detailed on your present truck and your RV.  It's good to think out ideas though.  Keep in mind when you look at trailers with bunks.  Take them out and they make a perfect office area.  If you have storage space, store them for future resale of your trailer.  Have fun with your planning!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

12 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

One issue with buying a travel trailer used is finding something without things I don't want or need like bunk beds, outdoor cooking bay etc. Many of them are oriented for families. And as I typically work from a home office when not traveling by air around the world for business or visiting the headquarters, I need enough space to turn part of this TT into an office. But I will continue to look at used. 

A friend bought a rig with twin beds at the rear. She replaced one bed with a desk. Be sure you look under anything you think you might remodel to see what's under there. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you check out this photo page on my website you'll see where I removed a booth from our Fiver and built in a counter and custom built in office end. Then, in our second rig, I took two Sauder cheapo desks and made one longer desk that housed it all. You can tell how long ago that was by the monster all in one Printer fax copier.

You're going to run into problems with a half ton truck unless you go fiberglass egg Scamps or others. Most folks are shocked by the amount of carrying capacity they need. For a single it would be from 1500 pounds to 3000 and that's just contents added to the basic trailer. Remember pulling it, even uphill in a low gear can be done. It is emergency stops and emergency evasive maneuvers. There is no getting around the limitations of a half ton pulling any RV.

also be aware that the rubber roof and penetrations are many times not maintained properly and ten year old trailers can be a money pit as new roofs cost $5k and up. So pay close attention to any signs of leaks.

Good luck!

Oops! I forgot the link earlier. Here it is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id109.html

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks for the link. Nice job with the office.

I’m sort of stuck with the Toyota Tundra for now as it’s new. I’ve checked out the Scamp and Casita type trailers. For me they seem a bit too small where as a used 24 to 26 footer with a slide would be ideal and allow me to customize. I’ve been looking at 2014 to 2017 year trailers.The office space I need would bit a bit larger requiring three 28” monitors but I’m pretty handy with construction projects. 

The weight issue around 1/2 ton trucks is certainly a limitation. It was just an idea to go ahead and move into full timing. Right now I don’t have a workable solution yet. The key word being yet. 

Scamp and Casita type are not ruled out, just not preferred at this moment. But I may be chasing a unicorn.

You can remodel any RV easily if you can use a router and can glue Formica. The rest is just screwing and gluing. Just don't start with a bad roof if you start used.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

First I'd suggest you stay away from a light anything! They are not made for the rock and rolling of fulltime life plus if you'll always be in good weather (NOT!) they are not made for inclement weather. Having fulltme for 6+ years in  a 34, 38 & 42' RV, I'm convinced a 36-38 is enough for fulltime for 2 people, smaller if solo. List 3 must haves...every RV has tradeoffs. Happy shopping. 

Al and Barbara Smith

Archived