New RV tire changeover ?

Tireman9

Wondering about the experiences folks have had when they purchase a new 5h wheel.
It would help my study if you could reply to these questions:
1. Did you ask/request the tires be changed?
2. If yes, did you change brand or size or both?
3. About how much were you charged?

4. If you asked, did any dealer you were shopping at refuse to do a changeover?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

We did not ask for the tires to be changed when we bought new in 2015. (Actually didn’t think about it until later)

Later found the tires were a year older than 5W (date code 2014)

Had first blowout in 2017 (less than 2 years after purchase and 3 years age on tires) 

Replaced all tires with upgrades shortly after 

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

I wasn't RV knowledgeable enough to ask for better tires when we purchased our first RV in 2007.  The second year we had a 16" GY G614 blowout and after researching found this was common back in 2008 with heavier fifth wheels.  I upgraded to 17.5" GY G114 tires and Hi Spec wheels ($2000 cost) and in the next 10 years went through two sets with only a couple leaky valve stems.  We are now running with Sailun 17.5" tires.  The better tires was the best RV investment we have made.  The 17.5" tires/wheels are within 1/10 inch diameter of the original tires so no RV modifications were needed.     Greg     

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We purchased a 1 year old 5er and all seemed good on a couple of short trips.  Then we went on a trip through 3 states and back.  All 4 tires blew during that trip.  These were Goodyear tires.  The tire failures caused a few thousand dollars in damage to the 5er all on the way home.  I check the tire pressure everyday before driving.  Goodyear requested the old tires and then paid for the repairs and new tires.  The shop we took the 5er to told us they had repaired a number of campers with Goodyear  tire failures like ours.  A few years later we bought  a new 5er and I tried to run on the tires that came with it.  Big mistake.  Blew a tire just months after purchase and had damage.  Our 5er is older but it has 6 Michelin XPS Ribs and we haven't had a tire failure in years.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I just bought a 33' Teton that has 7YO G614.  I had these on another 5er and had blow out problems.  Given the fact of their age, will be changing them over to something else.  Seems that Sailun are proven by some here, but we arent opting to step up to 17.5" mostly due to the size and weight of this coach.  I think I still have some capacity left in the 16" G rated tires.  Heading to Hutch for the National Rally next month.  ~3000+ miles

What have some of you found that worked for you and where did you find the best deal?  I have local tire shop to do the exchange. 

Marcel

According to the 2008 Teton brochure it weighs 16,900 lbs. gross. 14k dry with 2k dry pin. I tend to doubt that light pin. So dry you have 12k on two axles according to this. I would speculate less than 14k will ever be on axles. I assume you have 7k axles. I would get the Sailun G tires

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

According to the 2008 Teton brochure it weighs 16,900 lbs. gross. 14k dry with 2k dry pin. I tend to doubt that light pin. So dry you have 12k on two axles according to this. I would speculate less than 14k will ever be on axles. I assume you have 7k axles. I would get the Sailun G tires

Thats the direction I am looking at Glenn.  Your math is about the same as mine.

7 hours ago, MidMOTraveler said:

Make sure you have the tires YOU want before signing deal! 

Option , change or no deal. 

Salin or GY only 

Purchasing from private party.  I will put the tires on it that I want.

Marcel

On 9/21/2018 at 11:15 AM, Tireman9 said:

Wondering about the experiences folks have had when they purchase a new 5h wheel.

I'm wondering why you are only interested in fifth wheel tries? Don't travel trailers use pretty much the same tires with the same issues?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When I buy a camper from a dealer It will have the tires I want on it. When I traded my old off on the one I have now I made them swap out my tires. I had just gotten brand new tires and both units happened to have the same size tire. Otherwise I would have requested new tires in the brand and style I want or no deal.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Bought some Tow Max tires 2 yrs. ago. Have blown 3 out of 4. The last one did $1500.00 damage and I turned into my insurance co. My trailer is on with my car insurance. They just raised my premium on cars $400.00/yr. Been with Hastings Mutual 5 yrs. and they are now history. Bought trailer used and dealer said how good those tires were and would be on a 40K trailer. Found out later from manufacture those tires where never on there when left factory.

Save yourself some grief and go to the 17.5s. Better load capacity, when that monster is loaded you will most likely fine the 16s capacity to leave you wanting. Some time ago on the 04 I found I was running close to capacity with the 16s and went to 17.5 wheels and tires from trailer tires and wheels.com with goodyear 114s, ran for 3 years and traded trailers. Now running 3 axles and 17.5 Mich.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:19 AM, Kirk Wood said:

I'm wondering why you are only interested in fifth wheel tries? Don't travel trailers use pretty much the same tires with the same issues?

WHile some TT have tire issues, I thought that 5vers were heavier and would be closer tot he tire load limit. If I am wrong I am sorry. I am not aware of any documented reports with hard numbers.

If you have a TT then please feel free to provide your info.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

• 3 weeks later...

Tireman9 has asked similar questions on all forums where he is a member, commercial or otherwise. He normally does not specify if the changeover is for a new or used trailer. The rules are different.

1. Did you ask/request the tires be changed?

2. If yes, did you change brand or size or both?

On a new trailer the dealer is allowed to change brands but not the size or design unless the trailer manufacturer authorizes the change with published options.  

3. About how much were you charged?

4. If you asked, did any dealer you were shopping at refuse to do a changeover?

For new trailers there is a rule that states, in part, that the tires on the trailer at the time of first sale MUST be the same size as those shown on the vehicle certification label. For the dealer to change sizes a new certification label  would be required. It must be approved by the vehicle manufacturer. The dealer is in a catch 22. I doubt they would sell a trailer with a fraudulent federal certification label.

For sellers of used trailers the above rule does not apply. However, tire industry standards require replacement tires to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires. When the certification label has the tires designated size, such as,  ST225/75R15, the ST is part of the tire’s official size. Replacing the ST with a LT or P would be considered a major deviation in tire design and considered a misapplication. UNLESS, the replacement is approved by the vehicle manufacturer. Good luck with that one.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

On 10/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, rpsinc said:

Decided on Hercules H-901s, 2358516 at 4400# capacity.  Local tire shop I use gave me a really good price.  $260@ on simpletire.com, I got them for $190@ out the door, all costs included.

I got the Hercultes H-902s @6800# rating on 17.5 inch rims for same $190 per tire and hi spec wheels. Best investment ever. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Off topic, but...

For anyone with 16"/8lug axles--it is a simple change over to 17.5" wheels. The 8lug pattern is 8x6.5; the only thing to be sure of is the lug bolt size, probably 1/2", for the wheel bolt holes. Other size lug bolts would be 9/16".  TrailerTiresandWheels.com  can size your wheels/tires, mount and balance them, and ship to your location.  The 17.5" tires are normally smaller in overall diameter, or so close as to make no difference.  A 17.5" tire with a wheel that can support 120/125psi (4805lbs/tire) is one of the best upgrades possible to make to fifth wheel safety and tire life, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, Big Greg said:

I wasn't RV knowledgeable enough to ask for better tires when we purchased our first RV in 2007.  The second year we had a 16" GY G614 blowout and after researching found this was common back in 2008 with heavier fifth wheels.  I upgraded to 17.5" GY G114 tires and Hi Spec wheels ($2000 cost) and in the next 10 years went through two sets with only a couple leaky valve stems.  We are now running with Sailun 17.5" tires.  The better tires was the best RV investment we have made.  The 17.5" tires/wheels are within 1/10 inch diameter of the original tires so no RV modifications were needed.     Greg     

X2.  After 2 ugly blow outs, one at 3,000 miles and the second at 3,500 miles we did the same.  Best session and money spent.  

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Archived