Dead Battery on Toad

Red Crewzer

I tow a 2006 Honda CRV all wheels down.  I have started having dead battery issues on the Honda after towing for only a couple hours.  Just started happening the last three times towing.  Nothing has been changed and I have towed this vehicle for nine years.  Possible battery going bad in car (weak cell, weak load capacity)?  Thoughts?

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

We just had the same thing happen with our 2012 Chevy Equinox and a battery change fixed it.  Car batteries seem to die this way.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

13 hours ago, Red Crewzer said:

February 2013

That means your battery is now 5 years old so it is probably on the weak side. I would pull it out and take it to a battery shop and ask them to load test it, as most will do this at no cost to you. Once you do this you will know the condition but I suspect it is getting weak. If you do not pull the fuse as your manual states, I'd bet the battery age is your problem. Even if you do pull the fuse you probably have some load on the battery from the auxiliary brake system. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Replaced the battery.  Found two cells completely empty of liquid.  Towed twice with it now and all seems to be ok.  Back to keeping check on the battery liquid levels myself. 

Kirk: I use an air brake system, so no drain from auxiliary brake system.

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

Too late to help you on this battery. But some of the older generations CRV's had enough room to upgrade the battery size to I believe a Grp 27. Go into the Honda Parts and buy an Oddeysy, 2005-6 battery tray. It's a direct replacement for the battery tray in the CRV, and has enough room for the larger Battery to slide in. 

We also had our feed from the coach, include a power supply to the battery. So our Coach Alternator is keeping the CRV charged up, as we drive. 

Best to you, glad you got this one fixed:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

On 9/28/2018 at 5:56 PM, Flying Finn said:

We tow a  5 speed Subaru Forester.  Had similar trouble with the battery draining down.  To keep the steering wheel free had  to turn the key to release the steering.  No matter the key setting it drained the battery.  To solve the problem we installed a battery disconnect. 

If we tried to tow for 3 days straight without starting the car, then we had a problem.  But otherwise, 14 years with our Subaru and never a problem for us as we only do 2 days without starting the car.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived