First pull and truck weight.

Pete Kildow

Made a trip with the dump trailer in tow. Need to finish the gravel for the RV shed. So went to get some Limestone #8's. 5500 lb dump trailer followed me to the Pit. Scaled in and empty weight was 23840. Loader man put 8.33 tons on the trailer. Gross weight was 40,500 lbs. Truck with 225 gallons of fuel, is going to weight 18,340.

Coming home on the 35 minute drive. Old truck pulled well and did a fine job. The hills I had to pull, were easy for sure. Pulled them hundreds of times before. And a couple would pull down the empty truck. This old detroit, would pull down to 1250 RPM's . Never look back, but just keeping going and going. 😀

With the ScanGuage D hooked up. Was nice to view more info on the engine. Most HP used it showed at any on time 160 HP. With the air temps pushing 95 and heat index 102. Water temp got to 191 😎that was pulling a grade. Oil pressure 62 lbs at speed, 50 at idle with the engine good and warm. Know the ECM is off on MPG. But pulling that load it was within 1 MPG without the trailer. So looks like the 11.1 Detroit is going to do great on fuel. 

Plans are to get the camper hooked up soon. Would be sooner, but were going to Branson Mo And spending a week visiting family and watching our Nephew open for Trace Atkins Oct 19th. Figure it will be first week of Nov before the camper is pulled.

Unless our Nephew James Carothers opens for Allen Jackson in Nov. As he is also opening for Allen at the Grand Ole Orpy this winter also.

event.png

We also occasionally pull a dump trailer about the same weight empty.  We frequently put 8 tons on it.  The bed I put on the truck is a bit heavy as our dump trailer/HDT combination weighs 29,800 lbs empty.  The tool boxes are also pretty full.  The dump trailer loaded is about the same weight as our 5er and it pulls about the same.  Most of our driving is mountain roads and the HDT is so much more comfortable than our LDT.  Often, I use the HDT for stuff the pickup could handle.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

8 hours ago, Randyretired said:

We also occasionally pull a dump trailer about the same weight empty.  We frequently put 8 tons on it.  The bed I put on the truck is a bit heavy as our dump trailer/HDT combination weighs 29,800 lbs empty.  The tool boxes are also pretty full.  The dump trailer loaded is about the same weight as our 5er and it pulls about the same.  Most of our driving is mountain roads and the HDT is so much more comfortable than our LDT.  Often, I use the HDT for stuff the pickup could handle.

My Dump trailer has a 16ft bed. Had duals on 12K axles. But had 16.5 wheels and tires. Had a set of Rickson 19.5 singles. Put those on it, took care of the tire issue. Whole frame on this DP is tubing, so weights less then most this size.

Our camper is only 16K, so will be 5K under what that load was. 😀Plan is to have the truck finished by 2020. That will include, making sure items are replaced. That may give issues, or towards the end of there service life.

May start on a custom Drom box this winter.

event.png

9 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

My Dump trailer has a 16ft bed. Had duals on 12K axles. But had 16.5 wheels and tires. Had a set of Rickson 19.5 singles. Put those on it, took care of the tire issue. Whole frame on this DP is tubing, so weights less then most this size.

Our camper is only 16K, so will be 5K under what that load was. 😀Plan is to have the truck finished by 2020. That will include, making sure items are replaced. That may give issues, or towards the end of there service life.

May start on a custom Drom box this winter.

We have our bed set up to carry a Forester and a RZR together so it is longer than most.  The car is carried length wise at an angle.  The RZR slides cross wise under the front of the car with the roll bar removed.  All loaded we are north of 50,000 lbs.  Our dump trailer is 8x16 and has 3 -7,000 lb. Axles.  We get about 8 mpg loaded with the 5er, car and RZR.  We bought the 2001 Volvo in 2005.  It has a Cummins ISX set at 500HP and an auto shift.  The newer trucks are interesting but we plan to stick with this one.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Talking about Branson MO.is making me homesick. My first teaching job was in Stockton Missouri, used to go to Branson with my girlfriend, at the time, a lot. I live in Vegas now where I met my current wife. We met some friends of my parents for an afternoon on table rock lake from mountain home Arkansas. They asked me where my wife was from. When I told them Michigan they looked at my mom and said he married himself a Yankee girl. I miss Branson in the fall it is so beautiful there, however I do not miss the snow or winter of the Midwest. Love Vegas love the heat. Post pictures of the trees and changing of color if you get a chance. Go do some trout fishing just below the dam in taneycomo too. Those are my stomping grounds.

Later Cory Ossana 

On 9/21/2018 at 4:24 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

Talking about Branson MO.is making me homesick. My first teaching job was in Stockton Missouri, used to go to Branson with my girlfriend, at the time, a lot. I live in Vegas now where I met my current wife. We met some friends of my parents for an afternoon on table rock lake from mountain home Arkansas. They asked me where my wife was from. When I told them Michigan they looked at my mom and said he married himself a Yankee girl. I miss Branson in the fall it is so beautiful there, however I do not miss the snow or winter of the Midwest. Love Vegas love the heat. Post pictures of the trees and changing of color if you get a chance. Go do some trout fishing just below the dam in taneycomo too. Those are my stomping grounds.

Later Cory Ossana 

Will try to get some good pics of the leaves. Should be in full color by then for sure. Were going to spend 5 or 6 days around there. Dropping my Mother in Law off in Morehouse/Sikeston MO. That is where her family is at. Then spend a day looking around for the Wild Horses east of Springfield. Then Bass Pro Shop and  GRizzly Tools in Springfield.

Last time I was in Branson, it was not that  big of a town. But that was In the early 80's. Would love to fish while there. But have way to much planned now. And meeting a Sister, I did not know I had. Unreal when you find out your not an only child after all these years.

Used to go through Vegas each week. We ran through there, on our way to SouthEast Or. Was fun crossing Hoover Dam with a 260" truck, and 53ft trailer back then. Funny the lake was also full back then, but sure is down these days.

event.png

On 9/21/2018 at 3:57 PM, Randyretired said:

We have our bed set up to carry a Forester and a RZR together so it is longer than most.  The car is carried length wise at an angle.  The RZR slides cross wise under the front of the car with the roll bar removed.  All loaded we are north of 50,000 lbs.  Our dump trailer is 8x16 and has 3 -7,000 lb. Axles.  We get about 8 mpg loaded with the 5er, car and RZR.  We bought the 2001 Volvo in 2005.  It has a Cummins ISX set at 500HP and an auto shift.  The newer trucks are interesting but we plan to stick with this one.

Was watching the readout on fuel last week. Was sure the MPG was not even close on it. Got to figuring the weights. And by figuring my Empty weight Friday Am. Then last load that day, Then the miles. It was close. ScanGuage D was showing 9.3 MPG round trips. Going by the weight and using that per gallon. That came out to 8.4 MPG loaded and Empty miles.

1995 Kenworth T600, 11.1 Detroit Series 60, 10 speed Direct, 2.93 rear-end.

event.png

26 minutes ago, Pete Kildow said:

Will try to get some good pics of the leaves. Should be in full color by then for sure. Were going to spend 5 or 6 days around there. Dropping my Mother in Law off in Morehouse/Sikeston MO. That is where her family is at. Then spend a day looking around for the Wild Horses east of Springfield. Then Bass Pro Shop and  GRizzly Tools in Springfield.

Last time I was in Branson, it was not that  big of a town. But that was In the early 80's. Would love to fish while there. But have way to much planned now. And meeting a Sister, I did not know I had. Unreal when you find out your not an only child after all these years.

Used to go through Vegas each week. We ran through there, on our way to SouthEast Or. Was fun crossing Hoover Dam with a 260" truck, and 53ft trailer back then. Funny the lake was also full back then, but sure is down these days.

I love Grizzly tools been there many times, just around the corner from Bass Pro

35 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I love Grizzly tools been there many times, just around the corner from Bass Pro

Years ago, ordered a 17" Bandsaw, 8" Jointer and a 15" Planer from them. But have never been in the store. Don't need any woodworking tools. But want to rust up a few tools. I'm sure between the Drooling and sweating. I will be able to rust a couple of the tools there. LOL

event.png

Archived