How do you find a place to spend the winter?

I agree that it is hard to find reviews for longterm stays. Perhaps you could get ahold and talk to some residents who stay at the parks and get their feedback. 

Before you commit to staying at a park long term perhaps you can stay for a few parks for a couples weeks at a time until you find the right one. 

Words To Live By:

• " Welcome To Our Campsite Where Friends And Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time" - Me
  • " Every problem in the world can be fixed with one of two items. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40." - Rving Review

States I've Visited:

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I'm looking at buying a site for the snowbird season. We'd use it Dec-Mar when we retire and head back to MN in early April. Sept-Nov would be open to visiting other parts of the country when weather is moderate and kids are in school.

We would be in S+B roughly 4-5 months per year.

Spend a month up on Lake Superior's North Shore every summer.

Spend a month in SE MN.

When we get older, maybe sell S+B and FT for awhile. 57/59 now...semi-retired. Full Retirement is 5/3 years from now.

When we no longer see signs that say "bridge surface freezes before road surface " was are far enough south to start looking. We have wintered in Arizona , Texas and for the last few years central Florida. Central Florida  near Disney world winters  are  very much like Northern Ohio summers so we have eternal summer.We also liked Az and Texas anywhere warm was good for us.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

When we no longer see signs that say "bridge surface freezes before road surface " was are far enough south to start looking.

The friend who got us thinking of fulltime RVing was in Cheyenne, WY when he retired. He fastened an old snow shovel to the grill of their Winnebago just before they left in the fall. He said that they were going to travel south until someone asked him what that thing of his grill was for, then spend the winter.  🤣

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

The friend who got us thinking of fulltime RVing was in Cheyenne, WY when he retired. He fastened an old snow shovel to the grill of their Winnebago just before they left in the fall. He said that they were going to travel south until someone asked him what that thing of his grill was for, then spend the winter.  🤣

Good one!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We also don't like bugs and humidity...AZ has very little. plus, if you go to FL, your in FL...period. AZ is a great springboard for so many other places a 3-5 hour drive, CA, UT, NM, Grand Canyon, Verde Valley etc. We stayed in Apache Junction for 5 years as my Dad lived nearby. After he died, the park got sold. We had to decide if we wanted to do what our friends made there wanted us to do or what we wanted to do. AJ closes up sidewalks at 9pm. So we moved our RV to the West Side to a wonderful, true resort, Pueblo El Mirage Golf and RV resort. They allow for days, weeks, months or annual. Those with park models in AJ are still there! Call to see if they will accept you as under 55...they do make exceptions. Its very near Surprise, Glendale and so many places to eat. My Daddy's Italian Bakery is very near by. You won't be pigeon holed due to your pet and there's lots of space between the 550 RV lots. Tons to do, golf, pickleball, sewing, woodworking, quilting, ceramics, exercise, dancing, tennis, enticing pools and hot tub,...that's what I can think of now. Happy searching

Al and Barbara Smith

On 9/23/2018 at 12:32 AM, Barbaraok said:

We spent two years trying different areas of Arizona 1-2 week’s at a time.  We also tried Florida (I hate bugs), RGV (chewed dirt all winter), Southern California ( don’t have enough money), which lead us to Mesa for the winter.  

RGV (chewed dirt all winter). As a noob can you explain this to me? I was considering the RGV and read this and it has me wondering. It seems there are many things I might like to do and see, birding,butterflies, biking, the shore , fishing? Am I making a gross error in judgement?

Be sure to see my thread under RV Lots for sale...RGV cheap lots...

Only been there once and going back next month for 14 days to check out all of the parks mentioned in my post.

My research and knowledge of many clients who have been wintering in the RGV for years gives me hope that I'd be happy down there in the winter.

Also checking out Mesa.

1 hour ago, mickeyblueyes said:

RGV (chewed dirt all winter). As a noob can you explain this to me? I was considering the RGV and read this and it has me wondering. It seems there are many things I might like to do and see, birding,butterflies, biking, the shore , fishing? Am I making a gross error in judgement?

The RGV has a reputation for being windy. But they are a popular destination so only you can determine whether or not it is right for you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, mickeyblueyes said:

Am I making a gross error in judgement?

Just depends on who you ask. We have several friends who have been wintering there for a long time and love it. There is more wind there than in AZ but we much prefer it. The cost is one of the biggest attractions and also the proximity of Mexico. I think that you should try it and see for yourself. Next year try another place and compare them. Another popular place in TX is the Rockport/Fulton area. In AZ we liked the Phoenix area pretty well but Yuma not so much. Tucson was OK. No question that the warmest winger for us was the two different locations we in FL. 

4 hours ago, mickeyblueyes said:

All of the RGV agriculture areas are getting ready to plant during the winter, which means dust up in the air.  And some years there is a lot of wind blowing dirt into the area.   It can also happen in the desert if the winds come up.  Which is one of the reasons we stay on the east side of Phoenix instead of the west side, where more of the agricultural fields are found.

Yes, we saw the birds.  Actually better birds up in the Rockport area.   We don't fish.  We did geocache the area - in about three days.  We went across into Mexico twice - didn't need meds, but went with friends for lunch.  There is about 3 blocks to walk in Progresso that appear safe.    We visited the few museums.   No arts centers with world class performers.  No upscale restaurants.   We don't do potlucks - dietary restrictions.   No Spring Training.   It just wasn't for us.   Luckily there are different areas for different people.  And you really have to try the different areas in order to figure out what works well for you.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Also looking at San Antonio - Travelers World is a very nice small park. Right on the bike trail and near major shopping district. I could be happy with their winters coming from Minnesota. The River Walk -especially the part further away from downtown, is very nice.

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And you really have to try the different areas in order to figure out what works well for you.

Absolutely. We don't care to go the same place every year, no matter where that may be, while others do.

31 minutes ago, ToddF said:

Also looking at San Antonio - Travelers World is a very nice small park.

We spent 3 months at Traveler's World while serving as RV volunteers for San Antonio Missions NP. That city has a great deal to do and some excellent RV parks. Lots of history there as well as a wide range of other things. But it can get pretty cold for short periods. Another park that we liked was Blazing Star but it is way out of the city center.

32 minutes ago, ToddF said:

Also looking at San Antonio - Travelers World is a very nice small park. Right on the bike trail and near major shopping district. I could be happy with their winters coming from Minnesota. The River Walk -especially the part further away from downtown, is very nice.

I stayed in San Antonio at that park. At that particular time it was nice ,and aging well. Which means they kept up appearances. It’s nowhere as fancy as some of the bigger parks. There is a bike/ hiking path that adjoins the park,it’s about 10 miles long. There is a great Mexican place across the street. Walmart in the area. Riverwalk very nice,it is a 2 or 3 level shopping mall across from the Alamo. A fellow we kept in touch with said there was a newer park in the area?

Archived