Bar Harbor, ME to Savannah, GA

Rav

HI- we need help with our route from Bar Harbor to Savannah. Has anyone taken I 95 or any other suggestions. One of my concerns is going through New York. We have 30 days  to make the trip so we can do another route. thanks

2016 Bighorn 3760EL

Steve, Dara and Mattie dog

Don't have a clue about going through NY.  However, I believe I-95 is closed in at least one place between Rocky Mount and Florence and possibly will be for awhile.  We are heading out to the Outer Banks later in October and then down to Charleston.  As of a day or so ago I-95 and I-40 had closures due to hurricane damage.  Try going on one of the Carolina's DOT sites.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Many folks take an inland route eventually putting them on I-81 and cut over to I-95 South of Washington DC. When are you planning to leave Maine?  After Nov. 1 many of the campgrounds/RV parks along this route are closed but if you do an internet search you will find some that are open. We start each year after visiting family for the holidays from the mid-Atlantic states. We prefer the coastal route down the Delmarva Peninsula and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. From Norfolk/Virginia Beach we take US-17. No idea what it will be like when you are planning to be travelling.  

You have several different routings available. 

Delmarva peninsula is a good route. But that means working around NYC. I-81 to I77 to I26 will work, but, its all big roads. 

Traffic through the Northeast from Brunswick Maine to I 84 west of the I684 connection is just plain miserable. 

From Ba Harbor its either south on Route 1 to Brunswick then I 295 to I95 or Take !A to  Bangor then ME 9 south to Gardiner then US 201 to I 295. Or US 1 to Camden/Rockport area then ME 17, ME 226 to US201 etc. Camden harbor is beautiful and worth viviting. 

Now  comes the hard part Mass, CT and NY/nJ. If you want the Delmarva ride then I 84 to I 87 to I 287 to US 202 to NJ 31 to I 95 to DE 699( I think or 899), sign reads "TO 301" and is the last exit before the first toll booth. That gets you into Delaware and you need to get US 13 for Virginia Beach. By the time you get onto I 95 you are almost in  North Carolina.

Another option is to continue west on I 84 to the first exit in PA, US 209.  Follow that road through Milford and then the DElaware Gap National Recreation Area. About a mile south of the gate house, never manned,  there is a flat/level huge parking area on the west side it makes a fine overnight stop. Then US 209 to I 80(five exits) follow signage for PA  33, then US  22 or if heavy traffic then go to I 78 and west bound on both. US 22 joins I 78 to I 81. Options are I 66 to US 17 to I 95. or its back to the first option.

If you go I 84 Exit 12 in NY is the home of the I84 Diner. Good food, big quantities, operated by Greeks.

Hoping that helps with your planning.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

2 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

If want the Delmarva ride then I 84 to I 87 to I 287 to US 202 to NJ 31 to I 95 to DE 699( I think or 899), sign reads "TO 301" and is the last exit before the first toll booth. That gets you into Delaware and you need to get US 13 for Virginia Beach. By the time you get onto I 95 you are almost in  North Carolina.

The route is DE-896 and it is the last exit before the tolls. Or you can take DE-1 at Exit 4 to US-13 and miss some local traffic on DE-896 and US-301. From Virginia Beach you can take either US-13 or US-17. They go East and West of the Great Dismal Swamp and then come together at Windsor, NC. If you take US-17 South it will take you to I-95 just North of the Georgia/South Carolina Border. It takes you along the coast through much of the area just hit by Florence which is why I said that I have no tdea what conditions will be when you want to travel. 

if you take the 896 route in Delaware there is a state park called Lums Pond that is open all year with full hook ups but the sites are back ins. Bath house open all year as well. It is on Rt 71, Red Lion Road incase you need a overnight stop. Enjoy your trip

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

On 9/20/2018 at 5:19 PM, trailertraveler said:

The route is DE-896 and it is the last exit before the tolls. Or you can take DE-1 at Exit 4 to US-13 and miss some local traffic on DE-896 and US-301. From Virginia Beach you can take either US-13 or US-17. They go East and West of the Great Dismal Swamp and then come together at Windsor, NC. If you take US-17 South it will take you to I-95 just North of the Georgia/South Carolina Border. It takes you along the coast through much of the area just hit by Florence which is why I said that I have no tdea what conditions will be when you want to travel. 

Thank you as I couldn't remember. All I knew thhat it was a three digit number and at night if you could see the toll booth that was your exit. 

12 hours ago, dblr said:

if you take the 896 route in Delaware there is a state park called Lums Pond that is open all year with full hook ups but the sites are back ins. Bath house open all year as well. It is on Rt 71, Red Lion Road incase you need a overnight stop. Enjoy your trip

See all the great things you learn  at the SKP board. Wrote that one down. We have stayed at the ocean side park by the bridge. that was are only Delaware State Park. Thanks for the info.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived