Rock chip in front window

Twotoes

I just put in a new front window in my Class A last March before I headed north in April. I am now heading back south for the winter. Got a rock chip in my new window today. I am heading to Phoenix and should be there in a day or two. I want to repair the chip before it cracks the new window. Anybody know a a reputable glass shop to fix a rock chip in a motorhome window in the Phoenix area? 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

RV Glass, just off of I10 on 67th Ave north of West Buckeye Rd.  888-777-7668

They replace one of pur front windshields a couple of years ago.  They also have mobile crews for chips.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Depending on where the chip is and how big it is, one of the major mobile glass companies should be able to fix it.  Not sure who you are insured with or what state you live in, but those of course will be factors in determining who will be paying to fix a chip.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On a side note, we have Foremost Ins for our MH and they do not offer windshield glass coverage if it is registered in Missouri. :wacko:  If it wasn't for them having the best rates we could find for full timing, they would be history.  To the OP, if a small chip, have a glass company do it.  Shouldn't cost you anything but a little of bit your time waiting for them to do their magic.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

You assume that ALL coverage includes glass coverage.  While ours does - only to the extent that it is above the deductible.   And we have a fairly large deductible, so not worth it.   I'm not sure that all of the mobile glass outfits will work on motorhomes.   What I like about RV Glass Solutions (who did our windshield and have literally thousands of them in stock) is that they have special equipment that attaches to their mobile trucks that puts them up at windshield height with a large platform.  We have a chip that we will be getting fixed in  the next month.  We let one go and when we took the windshield cover off in the spring, the crack was clear across the windshield.  It does go from hot to cold during the day in the winter in Mesa.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Insurance is not an option. I have a $1,000 dedctable and I’m sure the cost to fix a rock chip will be a lot less that a $1,000. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Insurance is not an option. I have a $1,000 dedctable and I’m sure the cost to fix a rock chip will be a lot less that a $1,000. 

Don't assume that is the case.  I have Progressive and it, like many others, covers windshield chip repair with no deductible even though there is a deductible for windshield replacement.  In fact, I was told over the phone by a claims person that if, for some reason, my windshield couldn't be repaired or failed subsequent to a repair, the replacement would be subject to the deductible even thought the repair I'm having done this morning is without cost to me.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

X2 what Doc said, plus sometimes it depends on what state your policy is written for.  Florida policies for example have to cover the windshield replacement/repair for no deductible if you have it.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I have Geico for my insurance using the Escapees South Dakota address. They will repair a chip at full cost. If the window needs to be replaced the claim is subject to your deductible. My deductible is $1,000. I also need the window on my Jeep replaced from multiple chips and cracks. I found a glass guy referred to me by the local Jeep dealer. He will repair the crack in the motorhome window for free if I get a new window for the Jeep thru him. Looks like I’m going to be out of pocket about $500. At least it’s cheaper than a $1000 deductible. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

I just looked at our policy. We have full glass coverage for $65/year. We have a MH and I don't even want to think how much that would cost to replace.

Another topic: Like you, we always thought a high deductible saved money. We also had $1000 deductible and, since everything is online now I tried different deductibles to see the impact on the policy. Going from $1000 to $250 was $15 month.  We elected to go to the $250 deductible.

$15/month, that's $180/year.  It was 10 years before we had any claims, so $1800.   Plus ours is a reducing deductible - for every year we go without a claim the deductible is reduced by 25%, so after 4 years, zero deductible. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Plus ours is a reducing deductible - for every year we go without a claim the deductible is reduced by 25%, so after 4 years, zero deductible. 

"Disappearing deductible" is pretty common for motorhome coverage, I believe as we had it with our class A for the entire 14 years that we had it and with 2 different companies. When reading the fine print after we had the policy for several years I discovered that we were paying extra for it. Several companies now offer that for auto insurance and those also cost extra, even if it may be hidden in the extra fine print. In the auto insurance market, there have been analysis articles written.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

39 minutes ago, LFDR3116 said:

Many insurance companies WAIVE your deductible if you have a chip repaired instead of the entire glass replaced.  You may want to check with your insurance to see if that is the case.

That's what we had. They wanted the chip repaired quickly before it had a chance to spread.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

I think the chip repair is fairly standard now. I believe you can by a kit to do it yourself also.

You can get them at most auto parts stores or even from Walmart, but with the majority of RV & motor vehicle policies covering that type repair for no deductible, why not go with a professional? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

Based on the thread some people either don't know chip repair might be covered by their policy or it is not covered.

Usually windshield chip repair is a benefit under Comprehensive coverage.  Not everyone pays for Comprehensive.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived