Road advice New Mexico

homelesshartshorns

I've been that route many times, but never with an RV.  It has areas which are steep and winding.  It also has a bridge you must cross which is pretty low overhead near the edges.  If you drive over it in the middle of the road, you probably wouldn't hit.  I've seen motorhomes drive through it before with no damage.

The drive is very scenic and there are campgrounds up on the mountain.  However, if you're just wanting to get from one end to the other, it would probably be faster to go around via Hatch.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 minute ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Where is the bridge?

Just east of Kingston a mile or two.  I'll try to scare up a video of it.

From San Larenzo to Kingston is 25 miles over the Black Mountains (I think that's the name) where you must top Emory Pass.  It's two lane, lot's of switchbacks and little or no shoulder.  It's good pavement, just slow going.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We are slow people, like traveling the two lane life. What about the weather in Nov and Dec????/

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

8 minutes ago, homelesshartshorns said:

I see it, wow 12'8!!!  That could be a deal breaker??

Maybe.  I have a couple of short videos I can send you.  PM me with an email address.

We have driven this route from both Silver City and I-25, but never with the trailer even though it is only 11'3". Nice scenic route with several things to see along the way. I would not hesitate to drive it towing the trailer, but we do not like to tour with the trailer in tow. There are lots of 10, 15, 20MPH curves.  We explored from each end at different times visiting the ghost towns, cliff dwellings, etc.

This website has photos of the bridges. Here is a description of the roads in the area. Here is another description of this scenic byway with a closeup of one of the bridges

12 minutes ago, dewilso said:

I like the qualifier, Drive in the center and you "probably" won’t hit it !😊

I have no idea what kind of rig he's in and can't attest to his driving skills.

there are 2 separate RR bridges just east of Kingston on NM152. Both about 12' 6" max clearance. But each year they seem to modify & add steel to those old bridges, I'm not sure how accurate those heights are. I know that my 13' 6 motorhome would never fit. It is a fun ride on my Harley though.

Jim

I have a 2000 Itasca, I have basement air witch gives me more clearance and I have not been worried about bridges of the 13' range. But I would have to check for sure the height. \\

Can someone give me incite as to weather on the Mountain in Nov and Dec?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

1 minute ago, JRP said:

there are 2 separate RR bridges just east of Kingston on NM152. Both about 12' 6" max clearance. But each year they seem to modify & add steel to those old bridges, I'm not sure how accurate those heights are. I know that my 13' 6 motorhome would never fit. It is a fun ride on my Harley though.

I disagree.  They are not 12' 6" max clearance.  That is the lowest spot toward the outside.  In the center is much higher than that.

Just now, homelesshartshorns said:

I have a 2000 Itasca, I have basement air witch gives me more clearance and I have not been worried about bridges of the 13' range. But I would have to check for sure the height. \\

Can someone give me incite as to weather on the Mountain in Nov and Dec?

I would be very happy to send you a video of a motorhome very similar to yours driving through the bridge with no issues.

23 minutes ago, homelesshartshorns said:

...Can someone give me incite as to weather on the Mountain in Nov and Dec?... 

Emory Pass is a little over 8,000' in elevation so definitely can get snow. According to the most recent NM DOT guide I found, the highest sections of road are priority 4 which sounds like there is no plowing/maintenance until after a storm and only during daylight hours.

Priority 4 Routes - Very Low ADT Provide little maintenance service during the storm and plow snow only during regular working hours. These routes will be patrolled as soon as possible after the storm to ensure no one is trapped or stranded.

40 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I disagree.  They are not 12' 6" max clearance.  That is the lowest spot toward the outside.  In the center is much higher than that.

Since they are one lane bridges, there isn't a lot of difference. Here is a DOT site discussing their poor condition, with photos clearly showing the 12' 8" and 12' 5" warning signs.  you can debate where that measurement is taken, but to me its not worth blocking that one lane traffic while you test it. Unless you're in a sports car or motorcycle, there are better options.

https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/nm/152-bridges/

Jim

I"m not going to debate this, I was trying to be helpful.  Here are two snapshots taken out of my video of the bridge just east of Kingston.  The first shows the motorhome while on the bridge.  The second shows it after it has gone through, just to give an idea of the size of the motorhome.

I wouldn't hesitate to tow my fifth wheel over the bridge if I wanted to take that route.  I just wouldn't want to inhibit traffic at such a slow speed going over the Pass.

bridge.JPG

bridge2.JPG

According to a web site there is a bridge on NM152  1.2 mi East of Kingston that is 12'8".  There is another 3.2 mi. east of Kingston at 12'5"

Elevation is 8800'  so in Nov & Dec you could encounter snow.

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' which I recommend you purchase since you've asked about roads such as this in the past, "Trucks over 12'6" high are not permitted. There are many 10-25 mph curves with 6% grades."

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I went this route recently in my 2002 Chev. 2500hd.  I can do a lot of things so I could probably navigate this route with my rv but I don't think I would enjoy it at all. I did it on a slow traffic day for sure and it still got a little tedious and tiresome but pretty scenic.  I would probably go around via Hatch and would probably make better time just in the pick up.  I like it when it is fun and not work.  All just my opinion.

So in a motor home during the months of Nov and Dec a better east west route would be HY 60 to Globe?

Archived