Battery fuse location 03 Monaco Dynasty

Wrknrvr

I am working on a 2003 Monaco Dynasty Motorhome . I cannot locate the fuse between the inverter and the battery bank. Both me and my customer would appreciate any advice where it maybe located.

There should be a large fuse, say 300 amps or more in line from the inverter and battery bank.

I have called several tech phone numbers that I have. Just for general info on Monaco and related coaches, Rev RV no longer helps with older coaches.

Thanks in advance,.  Vern

In order to properly protect feeder circuits supplied by the battery bank, the overcurrent protection device (fuse or breaker) needs located at the source of the energy/supply  THE BATTERIES.   If its at the load or far away now that leaves all those huge high current capable cables UNPROTECTED  !!!!!!!!!!!! I would think Monaco is aware of that but ???????????????????

I'm sure you're already well aware of this, but the info may help some rookies out there.

You can find a 300 amp (or whatever size is required) fuse or breaker so if ones not there or cant be found at the batteries Id sure be looking for one and adding it if it were mine.

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

15 years ago, was Monaco installing inverters? They used to be a high $$$ box of mystery. I know it would depend on the customer order sheet, but if this wasn't custom ordered, I can see a dealership scrimping to put a lower price tag in the window. Especially when there was already an on-board generator. Silence didn't have the value it does now.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

If its at the load or far away now that leaves all those huge high current capable cables UNPROTECTED  !!!!!!!!!!!! I would think Monaco is aware of that but ???????????????????

Since power could travel from the inverter to the batteries, or from the batteries, you want one at both ends?  Never seen that done in an RV. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Customer has a build sheet for said Rv. It calls for a 500 amp fuse. 

Engine alternator was producing 17 plus volts. Killed the chassis batteries. I think. So I removed the alternator and ordered a rebuilt unit. Got my tone generator out to follow the battery cable to the inverter.

My batteries in the tone generator were dead.

Tomorrow is another day.  Buuut still no sign on a fuse.

Vern

I agree about posting to IRV2 Monaco Owner's board. 

Batteries are the easies to find. So that is 'Point A'.

Where an Inverter is located, could have changed from OEM days. (And yes, in that era on that level of coach, an inverter was most likely stock. MSW vs PSW, but still an inverter.) 

Wherever the current Inverter is in this coach, is 'Point B'. 

(And OP, I suspect you know this - or you would not be offering to work on this problem for this person. But, added the Captain Obvious statement for those who may read this thread in the future.)

Tracing the "BIG FAT WIRE" from Battery to current Inverter location - should find an inline larger BUSS BLOCK type fuse. Yep, in those day's for that coach probably a single 300A, most likely Xantrex, fuse block/buss amp. 

And if OEM, this should be a relatively short run, of under 2 maybe up to 4 feet fun... 

Please close the loop back, and lest us know what you determine.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, Kirk Wood said:

Never seen that done in an RV. 

NOR have I (seen that done in an RV, fused at BOTH DC ends). The correct method to provide overcurrent protection for the feeders FROM the Battery TO the Load (Inverter in this case) is, of course WELL DUH, at the energy/supply SOURCE, the Battery.  Again, I would think that EITHER Monaco OR the Inverter installer should know that but maybe not lol ??? Is this an after market installation ??? If so and NOT overcurrent protected that lets Monaco off the hook, hard to believe they would run huge cables from a high energy battery supply source and NOT protect them !!!!!!!!!!! 

In addition, the Inverter (which when powered up its OUTPUT becomes an energy supply source for 120 VAC Loads) does supply current to its 120 VAC Loads, so those feeders need overcurrent protection. The Inverter (unless its a combination Inverter/Charger) doesn't supply energy TO the battery, it draws energy FROM the battery and the feeders need protected (at the battery) that run FROM the battery TO the Inverter. I haven't seen any RV (was a used dealer and saw hundreds) that used DC feeder protection at BOTH ends (Inverter and Battery) on the DC input cables, instead ONLY at the battery.

Again if you cant find a fuse FROM the Battery TO the Inverter, I would definitely install one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Subject to the battery energy storage capacity and cables there could be literally hundreds and more amps flowing for a short time until something opened and that can create tremendous heat and fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, Kirk Wood said:

Since power could travel from the inverter to the batteries, or from the batteries, you want one at both ends? 

My answer is NO.  UNLESS its a combination Inverter/Charger, energy flows FROM batteries (stored energy source) TO the Inverter,  NOT FROM Inverter TO batteries, so overcurrent protection is ONLY required at the energy source IE the batteries. An Inverter does NOT store energy that can pump such out into the batteries, its a load.  Sure, if a person felt compelled to have DC circuit feeder protection at BOTH ends (Inverter and batteries) it could be installed, but there's actually no engineering requirement nor have I seen or done so myself. Still to each their own its their RV and their choice !!

Hope this helps, best wishes n God Bless, yall keep safe now   

John T (Long retired n rusty electrical engineer so no warranty, but believe the above still remains true)

Edited by oldjohnt

• 2 months later...

In my 2013 Monaco the fuse between the battery and the inverter/converter is in the white (actually translucent) box in the upper left of the battery compartment.  Ours has blown one time, probably from overloading while inverting.  It is a 300 amp fuse that I bought on Amazon. The plastic cover snaps off.  Access isn't easy, I could only work on it with one hand!

Edited by Mr Gilbert

On the unit that I was working was apparently a profit rig.

Never did find that fuse.

Now what was the real problem was the sense wiring for the alternator had a bad connection.

That connection was over in the passenger side of the engine compartment. I do not remember exactly where. It was in a box that had relays inside.

But when talking to the tech person at the rebuild facility recognized that I was working on a motor home.

He was the clue where to look for the end of the sense wire. And no it was not to be at the batteries.

Just a thought,   Vern

• 2 years later...