First time future fulltime RVers looking for brand/design recommendations

TheScottLife

Hey all,

So here's our story...my wife and I are 29 and 31 with a 2.5 year old daughter, have good jobs making good money and all of the things that go along with it. The longer we do the normal suburbia lifestyle the more we just want to walk away from it all. We get tired of the daily commute to sit at a desk to make money just to do it again the next day. For that reason we've decided to finish our house renovations within the next six months and hit the road in an RV with our little one. I work a corporate job that i'm hoping to be able to migrate into a remote position but we've decided that no matter what we're going to make this happen. At this point the main question is what to get for a rig. I've done a good bit of online research, we've walked through a few lots, checked out some used ones in person and gone to a large RV show. At this point we've narrowed it down to a 29-32' pull behind travel trailer with a separated bunkhouse (not just the corner bunks). That said, being that it will be the fulltime rig we're looking for quality but not looking to pay a ton either (aren't we all). We've found two models that fit that bill thus far that we're torn between to where i'm hoping to get some of your opinions based on experience. On one hand we have a Forest River Surveyor 295qble and on the other we have the Grand Design Transcend 29tbs. Here's my breakdown of feature differences between the two:

Surveyor features:

fiberglass exterior
aluminum cage (especially around the windows) including roof trusses
6000lbs
pvc roof
flex suspension
4 bunks
curtain for rear bedroom
cloth dining cushions
no actuators on under bed storage
rear bedroom curtain for door
pvc roof
exterior kitchen with sink, fridge and stove

Transcend features:

exterior kitchen with fridge and stove
motion sensor lights
3 bunks
solid surface counter
leather dining cushions
rear ladder
rear bedroom pocket wooden door
tons of kitchen storage and countertop
under booth side storage doors
bigger bathroom/shower
rounded curtain rod with residential shower curtain
more space at foot of the bed in the master bedroom
more master bedroom storage (closet and drawers)
porcelain toilet
actuators on under bed storage
one place for all water and electrical controls in front left
L shaped livingroom layout
heat ducts built into walls and not floor
stick and tin construction
    1/3 thicker aluminum, wood frame but screws, framing around doors and windows
tpo roof

The two are very similar and both have pros and cons that make either of them a good option for us. The biggest difference between the two that's holding me up is the framing. If the Transcend were aluminum framed and stayed the same price I think it'd be a done deal as I feel the interior quality is a bit better, we like the kitchen layout better, we prefer the leather of the transcend's cushions and the wood pocket doors are important for my ability to work remote with a young child as well. 

I've heard great things about Grand Design's inspections and warranty/service work whereas Forest River doesn't have that same reputation so that holds some weight for me as well being that it will be the fulltime home for a year or two. 

As if that isn't enough of a decision to make I've also found a good deal on a 3 year old Surveyor which I'm also considering. It's in EXCELLENT shape, been storage kept, used enough to work out kinks but barely enough to tell it isn't new. This TT would cost me about $10k less so although I wouldn't get a factory warranty with it I'm trying to decide if I do land on the Surveyor (per your recommendations) if I should consider a used one or not. 

Alright, hopefully that's enough detail to understand the dilemma we're in and hopefully some of you have some first-hand knowledge that can help us make a decision between Forest River vs Grand Design, Aluminum vs Stick and Tin and maybe even used vs new. I look forward to learning from everything that you all can contribute. 

Thank you very much, Ben

Welcome to the Escapee forums! 

We are here to help so don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have. If I read things correctly you have no previous RV experience, so let me first say that you should move forward very slowly. While an RV has pretty much the same appliances and features as does a stick house, most of those are unique in many ways and work quite differently than do the ones you are used to. Learn as much about things as you can before you buy and do a lot of shopping & study as you move forward. 

7 hours ago, TheScottLife said:

At this point we've narrowed it down to a 29-32' pull behind travel trailer with a separated bunkhouse (not just the corner bunks). That said, being that it will be the fulltime rig we're looking for quality but not looking to pay a ton either (aren't we all).

Everyone wants to buy the highest quality for the lowest price, but in the real world, that just doesn't happen.  RVs are no different than cars or houses in that there is a wide range of price because there is just as much difference in quality and amenities in those choices. In addition, higher quality RVs always weight significantly more and that means that you need a bigger, stronger, truck to tow them with. Nowhere in the post have you mentioned what you will tow with or what either of the two RVs weigh. For safe travel, it is vital that you match the weight of the RV to the appropriate tow vehicle. The last person to get advice from on this area is the salesperson as they will always tell you that whatever they think will make a sale. You need to learn as much as possible about weight ratings of both tow vehicles and trailers before you buy for the safety of your family.

As you compare RVs you need to look very closely at the way that things are constructed. A very easy indicator is to look inside of drawers to see how they are built and of what material. The same is true for the cabinets and closets. Quality is never cheap and it is very difficult to find both in the same RV, if possible. If you should buy a used one, it will save a lot of money but you should pay for a professional inspection by a third party to make sure that it is in good condition. All RVs require a good deal of care and maintenance but a used one that has been neglected or abused can be a financial disaster. You can not tell by just looking at things but need to go far deeper. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you Kirk for your response. You are correct in that we have never owned an RV, I have been around them alot but not enough to consider myself anything more than a rookie. I am however a general handyman as I've renovated houses and know my way around cars so quality construction and mechanics do make sense to me. As for your question about trailer weights and tow vehicles...the surveyor is about 6000lbs and the transcend is about 7200 (mostly due to the aluminum vs wood construction) and i do not currently own a tow vehicle. We wanted to find the RV that fits our needs and then we'll get a tow vehicle to match. If i went with the lighter Surveyor i'd consider a 1/2 ton f-150 or silverado as i could be well within the limits if i get the right truck model (engine, cab, gear ratio, wheel base, drivetrain) but i'm also very aware of the fact that although i technically can town that much weight it also comes down to the fact that i'd have a 32' sail behind me should i ever hit wind and i also need to be able to safely stop it. As for your comment on interior construction both are similar but the Transcend would win in the end i think. They both have plywood drawers with good bottoms, full open slides and good tight hardware for the doors. 

Thank you again for the input thus far, please keep it coming

Welcome to the forum. My first suggestion is to SLOW DOWN. You are several decades younger than most of us here, so taking a year to make some better decisions will be time well spent. Many of us researched for several years before we bought anything, and, even then, many of us didn't get it absolutely right the first time.

Weights: Sales people will talk only about the empty (dry) weight of the rig. You want to look at GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), as that is the maximum the rig can weigh when actually going down the road. Food, clothes, toys, water, etc. all are added to the empty weight, and the total can't exceed the GVWR. Figure on at least 1,000 pounds per person for such stuff, and some actually go more than that. A travel trailer will put 10-15% of that weight on (actually behind) the rear axle. A weight distributing hitch will spread it around, but it is still there. A fifth wheel will put 20-25% of that weight directly on the rear axle.

My second suggestion is that you buy a used, higher quality coach rather than a new, entry-level one. You know what quality looks and feels like, so look for it. Don't be taken in by "bling" (or whatever the current word is). Remember that the sales person's job is to get your signature on the bottom line, NOT make sure that you are in the proper coach. I know you are looking at TT, but go find a Mobile Suites or Elite Suites and look at their quality. Also note the wall thickness. Have you looked at Airstreams? They aren't for everyone, but might work for you.

Finally, figure a GOOD hitch system. Many Airstream people really like the Pro-Pride line. They aren't cheap, but owners swear by them.

You will have many more questions to answer before you are ready to buy anything. Go out and "live" in every coach you can find, no matter the price or condition. You will then know what floor plans will work for you, since there are only so many ways the space inside a box can be arranged for living. "Watch" television; "cook" a meal (inside); "take" a shower; "make" the bed. How often do you plan to move from one campground to another? How much will you boondock, a lot, some, or never? Etc.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Great advice from the posters above...I would just add that when you come down to making the final choice be SURE that your wife is completely happy with the arrangement...kitchen cabinets right height, appliances are what she likes, floor plan is what she likes ect. ect. ect. I have seen more than a few men make all the choices and later regret it greatly!!! Happy wife...happy life!!! Especially when you are confined to a much smaller space and with a young child!!

I also would like to add this...I love that you guys are doing it!! We waited, like most, till the kids were grown and now wish we had done exactly what you are doing!!! Go!!! Enjoy the lifestyle!! 

One thing that is very important (Kirk already said it, and I'm repeating it) - make sure you get a good 3rd party inspection on any used rig BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.  While I'm not going to be a full-timer until next year, I have purchased a number of used trailers over the years and done an extensive amount of camping and travelling with them.  The only ones I didn't have inspected were the ones that cost less than $5k (it wouldn't have been cost effective) - but those I still inspected myself with a fine-toothed comb.  Plus, they were for camping - I wasn't planning to use them as my home.

The only other thing I'd mention is that I've been researching brands and customer satisfaction trends / complaints for many years, and ONE of the two manufacturers that you mentioned has gotten enough negative "noise", consistently, that I (personally) would not consider them.  I'm not going to name names because it is not my intention to bash anyone - just do your due diligence in researching beyond just the "specs".

-Jim

Archived