Loco Weed!

RV_

2 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

ACB on the TSX was a good grab for few thousand stocks in the $3-$5's a year ago using wider SL's.   Nice return today :).    Just a heads up, we in the frigid north are being cautiously optimistic now with placing our SL's somewhat tighter to lock in some profits.   All due to lots of news about how it's going to be cheaper still on the black market than when it becomes legalized due to the government controls/wants/taxes etc.    Just saying FWIW that we are watching the write ups and news very closely here as traders.

Lol. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of the dotcom era and my finger is on the sell button. Im up 12% in a couple days but not shy to sell and move on. Do you have an opinion on who the winners and losers might be. I'm like RV and don't tell anyone what to buy or sell so it's not holding anything against you. We are all big boys and take our own chances. Thanks again. 

I bought my NBEV @$2.99, and my Aurora 2000 shares @ $7.71, then 3000 more @ $ @ $7.99 for a total of 5000 shares Aurora and 1000 shares of NBEV. Looks today like that should have been 5000 of each. We will see soon. I expect a pop then a drop then a rise back to whatever its first limit will be.

Wednesday Marijuana for medical and recreational use becomes legal all across Canada.

Then, let the games begin!

homerjig.gif

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

I bought my NBEV @$2.99, and my Aurora 2000 shares @ $7.71, then 3000 more @ $ @ $7.99 for a total of 5000 shares Aurora and 100 shares of NBEV. Looks today like that should have been 5000 of each. We will see soon. I expect a pop then a drop then a rise back to whatever its first limit will be.

Wednesday Marijuana for medical and recreational use becomes legal all across Canada.

Then, let the games begin!

homerjig.gif

Sweet!!  I have been watching Nbev.  But I hate chasing.  We will look for a pull back.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Oops! I just edited the 100 shares NBEV should have read 1000.

Ryno,

These will be volatile I expect. We'll see in two more days.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

No recommendations on anything RJXJ.   For every buyer that thinks they're right, there's a seller that thinks they are too and vice a versa (LOL).   No opinion, just sharing the concerns at more local levels here on how it's going to pan out a while down the road after Wednesday.  We are more "buy the rumour sell the news" folks and happy to take profits where we can.    I'm sure it'll be one of those FB things for us in getting out too soon but grateful for some scraps nonetheless.

Happy trading, happy travelling y'all.

RJXJ, here's a very good article today with hot links to follow in the article. Also don't miss the link at the bottom for an entire collection of articles and analysis from many sources, both pro and con investments in the MJ market.

Marijuana is now legal across Canada!

hama0.jpg

Marijuana stocks to watch: Aurora Cannabis investments may be more valuable than its pot

Excerpt:

"Aurora Cannabis Inc. is a major pot producer, but if its bets on other cannabis companies continue to pay off, it may be able to stop actually growing weed on its own.

Aurora ACBFF, -1.57% ACB, -1.22%  said recently its investments were worth more than C$700 million ($540 million) as of Sept. 21, bolstered in part by demand for pot stocks ahead of full legalization of marijuana in Canada on Wednesday. As the entire sector has benefited, so has Aurora’s portfolio, boosting the company’s fiscal fourth-quarter profit to C$79.9 million, after a loss of $20.8 million the year earlier.

One of the company’s biggest and most profitable bets is a stake in the Green Organic Dutchman Holdings Ltd. TGODF, -4.19% TGOD, -4.55%  a C$55 million investment in the company at C$1.65 a share in January, that is worth C$5.53 a share as of Tuesday. That would value its stake at roughly C$184 million, which is equal to about 13% of the company. It has an option to increase that stake to more than 50%.

Aurora also disclosed investments in Hempco Food and Fiber Inc. HEMP, -4.46% CTT Pharmaceuticals Inc. CTTH, +1.11% Choom Holdings Inc. CHOOF, +0.70%  and a 20% stake in privately held Capcium Inc., which provides equipment to Aurora for making medicinal marijuana softgel pills.

The company spun out Australis Capital Inc. in September, as an investment company focused on the U.S. cannabis market.

Aurora’s U.S.-listed shares have gained 50.4% in 2018, while the S&P 500 SPX, +0.18%  has gained 3% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -0.08%  has added 2.4%.

Much more in the original article with related links:

Aurora Cannabis Analysis

For anyone interested in the emerging cannabis market and wondering where the long and short term profits might be, here is a comprehensive list of current and recent articles from MarketWatch.

https://www.marketwatch.com/topics/columns/cannabis-watch

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

The above post edited because I forgot to insert the last link of the list of Cannabis info.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

My portfolio just lost $75,000 in 12 days — here's why I'm not worried at all

Excerpt:

"A stock market crash, or a dip, can cause even smart investors to panic.

Ramit Sethi is the author of a best-selling book on personal finance, and when the stock market dipped, he lost $75,000.

He isn't worried, because he knows successful investors play the long game, and that opting out of the stock market is far riskier than opting in.

Last week the stock market took the world on a wild ride, and in response, the media went crazy with scary headlines like …

The goal of these headlines is to get people to click, and people will, but the average investor is left only with doubt and scary-looking losses.

As an author of a New York Times best-selling book on personal finance and someone with a portfolio of investments, I'd like to share this piece of counterintuitive advice:

Keep calm and carry on.

In other words, don't change a thing!

Don't get me wrong. I was greatly affected by the decline. You can see that my portfolio dropped by over $75,000 in just 12 days of this month:

Screen Shot 2018 10 15 at 1.34.26 PM

Most people who lose $75,000, $2,000, or $500 would freak out, sell their stocks, and say things like "I would just hold cash to be safe" or "See, this is why I don't invest in stocks!"

But here are three reasons why I kept my investment portfolio untouched — and why you should stay disciplined, whether your portfolio is worth $500, $50,000, or $500,000."

he goes on to cover

1. Keep investing and you'll get investment returns no matter what

2. It's not 'timing' the market, it's time IN the market

3. It's pointless to look at daily trends

Lower prices are good as long as you have a long-term goal. If you're young, that means you can pick up more shares of the stocks at a lower price. For people who are older, they would benefit from adjusting their asset allocation to be more conservative so that declines affect them less dramatically.

I'd like to encourage you to go from "hot" to "cool" around your money. Instead of feeling "hot" emotions like anxiety or fear, get educated enough to feel "calm" and "confident." I feel calm because I know my money is automatically being invested every month, that staying in the market gives me much better returns than panicking and selling, and I can focus on other parts of my life.

Long term investments shouldn't affect your day to day. Whether you lose $500 or $5,000 — or gain $50,000 or $2 million over time — the important thing is to nail down good personal finance habits so that when your portfolio grows in the future you'd exactly know how to react and can stay strong with your investments for years to come."

The above are small excerpts from an in-depth and insightful article I completely agree with in Business Insider.  You can read it in full by clicking here: Good advice

If you followed the other thread, "Are You Still In?" you saw me do just that. I bought low several times on IPO. and in the six months after on dips to $22.5. I sold near the year's high because I am using that money to buy a new house cash. Then I can take my time selling this 5 acres with new house, workshop, 12X20 finished out plumbed, wired, paneled, insulated and air conditioned portable building.

Then I can reinvest the whole amount and next time, take out only enough I have deductions to cover. Oh well, taxes only come with gains. 

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Latest Tesla news:

Tesla Model 3 Motor & Gearbox Survive 1 Million Miles Of Testing

On October 15, Tesla tweeted the results of using the motor and gearbox of the Model 3 for over 1 million miles. From the photograph, it’s hard to tell them from new. Notice the beefy ball bearings used to support both components.

Tesla-Model-3-Motor-Gearbox.png

After the company tweet, Elon Musk added his own thoughts on Twitter. “Model 3 motor & gearbox still in good condition after driving 1M miles. Designed for ultra high endurance.” Keep in mind that the Model 3 components are expected to power the upcoming Tesla Semi, which means moving up to 80,000 lb on a consistent basis. It’s fair to say these pieces may be over-engineered a bit for the Model 3. Calling them “robust” would be an understatement.

Naturally, nothing Elon and Tesla do ever goes unchallenged. Twitter user Mark B. Spiegel, who styles himself as both an investor and a wise guy, offered this bit of whimsy on Twitter. “The whole thing is ABSURD. Bench-testing a motor & gearbox has NOTHING to do with running it pulling a 3600-pound load of car and batteries against friction and wind-resistance. It’s just more bullshit spewing from the lying mouth of Scmucksidy Fraud-Boy.”‏

Well, it’s hard to find more cogent argumentation that that! Another Twitter user, Mark Langridge attempted to straighten the learned Mr. Spiegel out but it’s unlikely his words had any effect. “That’s not how automotive testing works. You always have prototype drivetrains long before you have a car to put them in. They mount the drivetrain to a test bench, plug it in, and run it via software.”

Suffice to say, Model 3 drivers won’t need to be concerned about reliability and longevity with their cars. Can drivers of other brands make the same claim?"

Source: Tesla facts

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

As always to each their own, but I chose to not try and catch a falling knife (unless it's a good short opportunity ;))  typically waiting for a fish hook/double bottom/doji or other confirmation.    

I would agree to some degree with that Business Insider (wish it quoted percentage of portfolio risk rather than dollar amounts for realism!), article when applied to solid "index" type investments, but thank heavens I didn't apply that years ago to Nortel (many, many Canadian pension funds that believed it was solid took a huge bath!), also what about Valiant Pharmaceuticals not that many years back, (VRX at the time), that took a huge tumble from in the upper $300's to barely double digits.   It's been great since it truly bottomed to buy in and out on the dips but it's still only trading in $30's last time I personally checked under a new ticker BHC?    That's just two of many that i'm sure glad we didn't apply that business insider principal too.   I have many friends still in SPB from when it was the boasting flavour of income trust funds, their DCA is still crazily high because they "bought and hoped", and believed it would turn around :(    GLBR another and so it goes on and on.    Moving your Stop Losses with reasonable wiggle rooms (not too tight!!!), and not holding on to losers will always be the best course of action in our books.  Take the 2008 crash, if folks had a reasonable SL based on prior support/resistance/ATRs etc, then many could have got out to cash from S&P index, and waited for the return of, whatever buy signals they prefer to have bought back in = true overall if you'd held throughout you'd still be up today (ask BarbOK :) ), but if you'd come out to cash and got back in on the upturn you'd be far more ahead of the game.   No one I've ever met went poor taking profits :)    

For sure indexes, dividend aristocrats and sometimes Dogs of the Dow, have been our mainstay for the portfolio for spreading risk and are for the most part "buy and hold" with a wider SL applied, but I sure do enjoy those speculative one off stocks here and there ;).   They add a bit of fun and variety to the watching paint dry ones.      

As I said before, for everyone that believes something's a buy there's someone on the other end that believes it's a sell.    Buy and hope is not a strategy but sadly most abide by that, being afraid to sell their losers in a timely manner or recognizing when the gravy train is about to run dry, even if only to be short lived, when they can jump back on the bus later.

PS:  A $75K loss within a multi million dollar portfolio is minor compared to someone else with a $500 loss on a $10,000 portfolio!  

Edited by FULLTIMEWANABE

I don't trade for retirement security as my retirement pay and SS, with my medical and drugs covered by TFL, makes my stock plays rare. My first was Tesla, but I knew everything about them from 2003 on and Musk from a year or two earlier. I did and do USAA funds that are like watching paint dry. My opinion of day trading and cost averaging is that my funds and real property investments do that quite well. My Teslavwas $25k, then taken off the table keeping most of my then 800 shares that I built back to 1000 shares with an inheritance of 200 shares. So my initial investment of $25k there turned into $348k.

My MJ market plays are only my second and third individual stock buys. I remain in funds and doubling up on real property once we find our Colorado perfect final home, and cash out of this five acre and three year old home. By then I'll have lost my money, or made quite a bit with my little $37K play between Aurora 5000 shares and the 1000 shares of NBEV.

If I lose it I am not in debt or injured in any way except for pride. We both know the most likely bad scenario, despite already tripling the NBEV money, would be to break even.

Aurora will be listed on the NYSE next Tuesday, 23 October, 2018. Then we'll see what happens in the next couple of quarters.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2018 at 3:19 PM, RV_ said:

I don't trade for retirement security as my retirement pay and SS, with my medical and drugs covered by TFL, makes my stock plays rare. My first was Tesla, but I knew everything about them from 2003 on and Musk from a year or two earlier. I did and do USAA funds that are like watching paint dry. My opinion of day trading and cost averaging is that my funds and real property investments do that quite well. My Teslavwas $25k, then taken off the table keeping most of my then 800 shares that I built back to 1000 shares with an inheritance of 200 shares. So my initial investment of $25k there turned into $348k.

My MJ market plays are only my second and third individual stock buys. I remain in funds and doubling up on real property once we find our Colorado perfect final home, and cash out of this five acre and three year old home. By then I'll have lost my money, or made quite a bit with my little $37K play between Aurora 5000 shares and the 1000 shares of NBEV.

If I lose it I am not in debt or injured in any way except for pride. We both know the most likely bad scenario, despite already tripling the NBEV money, would be to break even.

Aurora will be listed on the NYSE next Tuesday, 23 October, 2018. Then we'll see what happens in the next couple of quarters.

I’m assuming that my current shares will change over as well. Going to call the brokerage firm and ask about it. There reverse split had me worried.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Let me know how you make out. My 6000 shares are supposed to now be 500 share but are 432 or some such checking with USAA tomorrow as they closed their brokerage and sold our accounts to Schwab!!! USAA can't get anything straight and acknowledging their error and apologizing doesn't cut it. The pandemic should be over by next year. Be safe bud.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998