Registering a vehicle in Texas

Allentc2

Okay, I have read and reread the bit on domicile and establishing residency in Texas. What is confusing me (admittedly, not hard to do) is the order...

Step 1.  Get the mailing address. Check. 

Step 2. Establish professional/social connections. Check....I think. Been talking to the State Farm agent about insuring the toad and RV (in that order, I might add).

Step 3. What in the heck do I do first??? Driver's license? But I have to establish residency (which is, I thought, done at the conclusion of Step 6??) to get the license, correct?  I was going to insure the Jeep I've just purchased via private sale from an individual in Pennsylvania, then get it registered/licensed in Texas, but I'm not sure I can do that. The Polk Co. auditor referred me to the packet here, but that looks to me like I need to submit a Texas DL. Or do I send any photo ID, proof of insurance, title, the forms, and a bucket load of cash (I still think paying sales tax on a private sale is BS LOL).

My reading comprehension fading as I get older, that has to be it. 

7 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

State Farm does not write policies for Fulltimers.

Really?  I've been full timing for over ten years with State Farm the entire time.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

My impression from talking to the rep down there is so long as I'm 'sticks n' bricks' at the start, and I insure the toad FIRST (as doing the RV first makes it the daily driver and about 3x more expensive) he really didn't care. 

I'm sure it is easy to do in person, but I'm about 13 months away from that (according to plan). I suppose when I pick up the RV I could run down there for a week and do it all at once, but I'm just wanting to register the Jeep right now. 

21 minutes ago, LindaH said:

So State Farm is providing you with liability on your RV like you would get with a homeowner's policy?

No, nor did I imply that they were.  She said State Farm doesn't write policies for full timers.  I'm a full timer and I have three vehicles insured with them, including my fifth wheel.  I chose to get an umbrella liability policy also.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

No, nor did I imply that they were.  She said State Farm doesn't write policies for full timers.  I'm a full timer and I have three vehicles insured with them, including my fifth wheel.  I chose to get an umbrella liability policy also.

So does the RV policy cover anything inside the RV? Or does it just treat it like a car? Hmmm. I wonder what I think is the difference? :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

State Farm does not write Fulltime Policies.  That you put together a group through an agent doesn't negate the fact that it isn't a Fulltime Policy that is specific to fulltimers.  We had State Farm and thought we would just get fulltimers insurance through them - nope, at least not in Texas in 2006.   Do you have any other property that is insured?  Usually you can't get an umbrella liability unless there is also a basic liability policy in place.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Allentc2 said:

Well, this insurance info is good to know, but I need to know about registering this Jeep

Why not make things easy and just call them and get advice from the people who do this? Just tell them exactly what you wish to do as they work with new Escapee members nearly every day.

• Telephone:(936) 327-6801
  • Fax:(936) 327-6885

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I have heard of this before.

After we registered everything we called to get the insurance. I don't think you can get insurance on a vehicle until it is registered in the state.

I thought you had to show proof of insurance in order to register.

And I'll check on the other insurances. Thanks!

Have you considered registering in WV, you are going to be there over a year after all. Then just register in TExas when you move. Some insurance companies have a real problem with having a vehicle registered in a state other than where it's garaged. Some states also are very diligent about you paying taxes on the vehicles you have in your driveway. I think after Vermont lost their law suit over double taxing that it is not done anymore.  I also understand it is harder to convince the state you are leaving that you are no longer a resident than it is the one you move to. 

9 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

I also understand it is harder to convince the state you are leaving that you are no longer a resident than it is the one you move to. 

Difficulty in leaving a state varies by state but generally, you are wise to file a partial year income tax return if you are leaving a state that has an income tax. As to satisfying the state being moved to, that is a major reason that only a few states are common because most states require a physical address, not a mail service, and some require you to live there for a period of time. What makes TX, FL, & SD so popular with fulltimers is that none of them have state income tax, or a period of time required that you be physically in the state, and all of them allow the use of a mail service as your domicile address. 

10 hours ago, SWharton said:

I have heard of this before.

After we registered everything we called to get the insurance. I don't think you can get insurance on a vehicle until it is registered in the state.

I can tell you that in NY, you have to give them a copy of your insurance card in order to get license plates.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

11 hours ago, SWharton said:

So, when you buy a vehicle, you drive it without insurance until it's registered?  I doubt it.  In Texas, you must show proof of insurance to register or renew registration.

You call the agent you have , tell him you are buying a new vehicle and he will write insurance for it at your current address.  If you are getting all new vehicles, then

1) get your address first,

2)cover existing vehicles (which means getting an insurance agent who understands RVing),

3)then buy new vehicle,

4)notify agent, get insurance binder,

5)then register new veichle and

6)cancel insurance on veichles you have traded/sold.  

This then gives you time to get to Texas, get rig inspected and get new DL.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

In Vermont you have to have insurance to drive on the road or get inspection but not registration. 

As the original poster plans on being in his home state for over a year and I assume running the vehicle he must register in there and then transfer to Texas at some point in the future in order to stay legal 

. I had a Aunt who moved back from FL and keep her Fl reg for NINE years. She traded vehicles in Florida at least three times in that time period. She would go back every two years for a month to see family. Her Insurance company finally figured out what she was doing and made her change her state of registration. 

Some states pay a reword if you turn in someone who is running out of state plates over the allowed time limit. They want the tax money.  That is why they want you to send in your old plate, so,they know you sold the vehicle and to who so they can check to see that you paid the tax.

I agree anything other than a vehicle is not taxed when you sell it used, maybe a house if you sell it for enough over cost.

Chirakawa,

These were not new vehicles and we had insurance on them from the previous state. 

I think there is a set time period when you buy a new vehicle where you are covered by your insurance. I sure don't ever recall getting a new car and calling my insurance at the dealer.

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Chirakawa,

These were not new vehicles and we had insurance on them from the previous state. 

I think there is a set time period when you buy a new vehicle where you are covered by your insurance. I sure don't ever recall getting a new car and calling my insurance at the dealer.

The point is/was, you have insurance before you register.  Yes, if you have insurance on your vehicle and you buy a new vehicle, you are covered for a few days on the new vehicle.  In Texas, you can't register a newly acquired vehicle unless you show proof of insurance first.

Any time I've bought a new vehicle, I've given the dealer my insurance agent's name and number and the dealer calls my agent with the vehicle information.  I then double check with my agent to see that has been done.

12 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You call the agent you have , tell him you are buying a new vehicle and he will write insurance for it at your current address.  If you are getting all new vehicles, then

1) get your address first,

2)cover existing vehicles (which means getting an insurance agent who understands RVing),

3)then buy new vehicle,

4)notify agent, get insurance binder,

5)then register new veichle and

6)cancel insurance on veichles you have traded/sold.  

This then gives you time to get to Texas, get rig inspected and get new DL.

Sound advice.  👍

Archived