Class A with driver’s seat legroom

Mich@el

Hello everyone. I’m new here. I don’t own an RV yet, but I’m looking into smaller class A’s, around 35 feet long. I’ve already looked at some in person. 

The problem I have is this. I’m 6’8 and the driver’s seats have very little leg room, even when the wheel is all the way up and the seat is all the way back. What class A RV’s have good legroom for someone as tall as I am? 

It depends on where your length is, If mostly torso not as much of a problem as if mostly legs. My Dad was only 6' tall but he could straddle a standing yardstick.

Linda Sand

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, Mich@el said:

Hello everyone. I’m new here. I don’t own an RV yet, but I’m looking into smaller class A’s, around 35 feet long. I’ve already looked at some in person. 

The problem I have is this. I’m 6’8 and the driver’s seats have very little leg room, even when the wheel is all the way up and the seat is all the way back. What class A RV’s have good legroom for someone as tall as I am? 

How much more room do you need ? 

I'm about 6' w/ 32.5" inseam and I have way more room than I need . Our rig has a 6 way seat . I can adjust it so I can't comfortably touch the pedals or so I'm totally cramped to the point of making any driving  a very foolish move . 

You might think about buying which ever one you like best and making it fit you . Possibly moving the seat mount back a bit ...

Goes around , comes around .

While I am only 5'10", the driver's seat of my Bounder can go back to where I cannot reach the pedals.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

12 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

How much more room do you need ? 

I'm about 6' w/ 32.5" inseam and I have way more room than I need . Our rig has a 6 way seat . I can adjust it so I can't comfortably touch the pedals or so I'm totally cramped to the point of making any driving  a very foolish move . 

You might think about buying which ever one you like best and making it fit you . Possibly moving the seat mount back a bit ...

I didn’t even think of aftermarket modifications, but that’s an interesting idea. What kind of people do that sort of thing? Would a dealership do that? 

Whether or not you can move the base of the seat depends on the floor under it and what is behind the seat. Floor plans will give you some idea of what is behind the seat but not how close it is. I don't know how you can evaluate the floor itself other than going inside to look at a unit you are considering. Yeah, you can call a dealer and ask but the dealer is going to tell you what you want to hear not necessarily what's real.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have a slide behind my driver's seat (6 way adjustable) but can still move it so far back I can't reach the pedals.  Between adjusting the seat up higher and back, with the wheel forward, someone 6'8" could easily drive my rig.  I'm 6'1".

Probably what you will find is it will take an actual tour of any models you are interested in to determine what fits and what doesn't.  Another issue you will have is hitting your head inside many RVs on the tops of slides and such.  Also, keep in mind that having a dealer move a seat to a different location may not be as easy as some think.  In addition to moving the seat there may need to be wiring harnesses moved and a modification to the seat/shoulder belt made.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

In an otherwise suitable coach, take a look up under the driver's seat. The swivel mounts in both our current and previous coach have multiple holes that permit locating the seat with different clearances, plus the usual slide adjustment. Also, in our coach, the slide has about a 3" lip on the inside trim and seal that would allow the seat to move further back for driving when the slide is in. You would have to make sure to move it forward again before extending the slide though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I know that I need to actually sit down in the RV to see for sure if I fit or not. I was hoping that people here might know of some that have better legroom, so I can narrow my search a bit. 

I’m not even slightly capabale of doing aftermarket modifications on the seat myself. 

What are the particular models people have been referring to that seem to have good legroom? 

21 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Why don't you go to an RV Show and try a bunch of them out? Each model can be different in the space they have so you can't just look at a particular mfg.

I plan to, but it’ll be a few months before any come to my area. I plan to check the dealerships in the mean time. 

27 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Make sure you keep a list of the mfg and the specific model number you try on!!!!

Plus what you liked and didn't like about each one like mirror placement, seatbelt comfort, ability to adjust things on dash, etc.

Linda

20 hours ago, Mich@el said:

I know that I need to actually sit down in the RV to see for sure if I fit or not. I was hoping that people here might know of some that have better legroom, so I can narrow my search a bit. 

I’m not even slightly capabale of doing aftermarket modifications on the seat myself. 

What are the particular models people have been referring to that seem to have good legroom? 

It is not like automobiles, you can't really list certain makes/models that would have more leg room.  About every year manufacturers of class A's and C's will change their floorplans a little.

In recent model years most DP with Freightliner chassis would probably give you enough leg room due to how they design their adjustable steering column and what seats are generally put in.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

9 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

It is not like automobiles, you can't really list certain makes/models that would have more leg room.  About every year manufacturers of class A's and C's will change their floorplans a little.

In recent model years most DP with Freightliner chassis would probably give you enough leg room due to how they design their adjustable steering column and what seats are generally put in.

I’m still figuring out this sort of thing, so thanks for clarifying. I’m planning on making a list of all RV’s that works well for me.

Edited by Mich@el

5 hours ago, Mich@el said:

I’m still figuring out this sort of thing, so thanks for clarifying. I’m planning on making a list of all RV’s that works well for me.

Be sure you check out the bed, too. RVs often have what they call a short queen bed. And a skylight in the shower helps with headroom there.

Linda Sand

13 hours ago, Mich@el said:

I’m planning on making a list of all RV’s that works well for me.

That is a wise move. Being only about 5' 7" (I call that more down to earth) I have not had that issue but one motorhome that we looked at had a seat so far back that I could hardly reach with it at it's closest and Pam could not reach (she is only 5'2").

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I’m used to not fitting in beds. However, I’ll make sure the bed, and the showers for that matter, aren’t unusually short. 

The issue I have with the wheel is my legs don’t fit. They end up pressed against my chest when I’m in the driver’s seat. It’s both uncomfortable and unsafe. 

However, I’m fairly certain the sides of the RV’s were all extended when I went to look at them. I have no idea how much further the seat goes back when the sides are retracted. I also didn’t even look under the seats to see what can be done to lower it further. So, I’m now more optimistic about finding an RV that fits me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this thread has died or not, but I am also 6'8" and can tell those of you who are normal sized people that what seems huge to you is not adequate for the large economy sized person.  I cannot give the OP  specific info into which brands fit me, but the first thing I look at is whether or not there is a slide immediately behind the drivers seat....if so, I go no further.  That floorplan will not work.

If it is a front engine with a large dog house, no go....it will not work.

For me, due to some health issues causing limited mobility, even some coaches thar appear to fit won't work.  Sometimes it is a matter of 1/2 inch that can make or break a coach.

But, the search continues.......

I have the same problem. I am 6' 4" and my knees hit the underside of the steering column which really hurts and is annoying. With the slide in, as it will be when traveling, the problem is even worse because I can't adjust the back of the seat to get comfortable. This is one of the main things I have put on the "list" for the next RV I buy...along with a bedroom slide and 50 amp service!!!!

• 1 month later...

Can't say for sure, but thinking that both my present and last coach had a seat that would go back that far.

Biggest problem is to remember it and before trying to put the slide in and out.

Dan

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to 
appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)