HDT/hitch for tow behind travel trailer

Chuck

What is the straight scoop on the need for a special hitch for towing a TT with HDT. I have been towing my TT with a 2000 F350. Its suspension is pretty stiff. I have towed my TT for a few miles with my HDT. The TT actually appears to tow better with the HDT based in my view through the back up camera. No issues with stuff inside moving any more than previously. It is a light weight with a dry weight of about 5600#. As our move to a fifth wheel and full time,  will likely not happen soon, due to our home not selling, is there real need for a hitch with a spring mechanism?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Are going to use an air hitch on your HDT for your fifth wheel? If the answer is yes, then I think you understand some of the issues. It's not just stuff moving inside, its all the bouncing and abuse that the walls, cabinets and body receive.

Our trailers are too light to get the benefit of the HDT's air suspension. I just love looking at my hitch camera as I drive down the road and watch my fifth wheel floating over the bumps in the road. I even own an airsafe hitch just in case I ever tow someone else's bumper pull trailer. Why beat my trailer to death when I don't have to?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Are you talking bumper pull or 5th wheel?  Either way, what Big5er says goes for both.  There is no give in the rear of our trucks.  For bumper pull I use one of these:  http://airsafehitch.com/receivers/class-vii/ 

They come in different classes.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Chuck - the OP - is asking about trailers hitched by a ball or pintle connection at the rear of the truck also known as “travel trailers”, “bumper tow”, “tag hitched”, “receiver hitched”,  utility, boat, enclosed, cargo, flat deck, dump trailer, car hauler, horse trailer, stock trailer, 

but not asking about 

“gooseneck” or “fifth wheel”

😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

20 hours ago, Chuck said:

As our move to a fifth wheel and full time,  will likely not happen soon, due to our home not selling, is there real need for a hitch with a spring mechanism?

Chuck's last question is about the need for a fifth wheel hitch with a spring mechanism. 

My answer is an unequivocal YES.  We had a Reese solid mount hitch on our fiver with a TrailAir pin box (single airbag) that worked well.  When we lost our trailer to fire the replacement trailer came with a solid pin box.  We pulled about 2,000 miles with no air springs between the truck and trailer. The shock to the trailer was obvious with overhead light covers thrown off and multiple displaced items inside.  We then swapped out the Reese hitch with a twin airbag TSLB.  The improvement was immediately obvious inside the trailer and I am sure to all the trailer joints.  We have first-hand experience with both.  If you value your trailer, do not pull a fifth wheel RV without a spring mechanism between the trailer and truck - period.   Think of it like this:  If you spend all day walking and standing (pounding) a concrete floor with leather sole shoes and no shock support insoles how do your joints and back feel at the end of the day?   That same type of pounding will cause damage to your trailer's joints as well.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I have placed an order for the Gen Y hitch model 1225.

I will let you know what I think, when I get a chance to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01APPV7YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Archived