Volvo D12D high idle

sclord2002

I had mentioned previously that high idle on my truck was 1650 RPM. Yesterday, I used the manual mode on my ultrashift to see what the engine would wind up to under load. The gonernor let the engine wind up to 2000 RPM under load.  I can only assume that the ECM holds the high idle RPM to 1650 instead of letting it go to to 2000 as it will under load. Has anyone else noted anything similar to this ?  Just curious.      Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Was the question where would you use 1650 rpm stationary or 2000 rpm on the road? 

Stationary - yes pto blower work, winching, driving a deck pump...

Engines will normally go to high idle usually 2000 rpm with trans in neutral and cruise switches “off”, but may have a different max rpm setting in “hand throttle” mode - rpm controlled by cruise switches with vehicle stationary and out of gear or in pto mode...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Carl, You might use the stalk controlled FAST idle for more rpm for battery charging, A/C , heat, etc.   HIGH idle on a diesel is the maximum no load RPM the engine will run.....example: truck in neutral with accelerator to floor.  You might use high idle to help diagnose a fuel delivery problem or some of the other uses for working trucks......example: truck has low power and won't wind as high as it should. Like our friend Paul at the ECR 2 years ago. If you know the HIGH idle RPM for your engine and you can not attain it, something is amiss.  I had mistakenly thought that my engine's HIGH idle was the same as the governed RPM but that is not the case. My engine is governed at 2000 RPM but HIGH idle is 1650,  therefore I am making an assumption that the ECM or some all-knowing electronic thingamajig is preventing the engine from reaching governed RPM in neutral. On old mechanical diesels, I was used to governed RPM and HIGH idle being the same RPM but I guess with electronic engine controls that may not be true. I am trying to understand as much as I can about diesels and keep seeing lots of differences between mechanical and electronicly controlled engines. Coming out of the dark ages is hard for some of us.  I can still remember chiseling wheels out of stone.....⚒️......and the Dead Sea wasn't even sick !!     

Sometimes I try to understand things that exceed my limited mental capacity and it will bother me for a while until I understand it or until my eyes glaze over, take a nap and think of something else to puzzle over.  You really don't have to go down these rabbit holes unless you have a similar imbalance.  thank you for your indulgence.       Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

No problem Charlie. I’m like you, more questions than my brain can absorb the answers. Keep em coming. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Idle: the speed of the engine with no outside influence. 

High, or fast idle: the speed of the engine, as set by external influence. This can be the cruise control, a manually set knob, or a detent spot in the linkage of a gasoline engine's carb.

Uses of high idle: PTO driven accessories, such as blowers, pumps, or winches. High idle should also be used to cool down the engine, before shutting down. This will keep oil pressure up, and save bearings. It should also be used whenever the engine is at operating temps, but not being shut off, for the same reason 

Wide open throttle: the speed of the engine with the accelerator held down. This is determined by the governor's setting. This can be mechanical or electronically controlled. 

Wide open throttle is usually used by whipper snappers, accelerating from a stop signal, climbing a hill, or just clowning. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

This doesn't really answer the D12 question, but this describes programming and usage of fast idle control vs PTO.  It used to not really matter as long as you got the engine up, but now it can torque control the PTO, needs to desorb during fast idle, and needs to regen or not ever regen (depending on where you use it) while PTOing, won't smoke your fan clutch, etc, etc.  Setting up a PTO ain't for the weak!

Anyways, section 6.3 for FIC and section 12 for PTO.

https://www.peterbilt.com/resources/brochures/2017_PACCAR_MX_PRO_GRAMMING_GUIDE.pdf

Archived