New road sign

runaway parents

Got a new road sign posted on the street I come home from work on  . It says No trucks with gvw of 26000 lbs empty. Haven't weighed our rig yet. Any body got an idea what a 08 Volvo 780 weighs pulling a 30 ft fifth wheel. We will see who can guess my weight . Planning to weigh it this week end.  We will see who gets the closest will have results Sunday night. Let the guessing begin. Now just to be fair about this the truck is still tandem and has a wood deck on it .

Truck weighs 18,500lbs   I agree that you are an RV not a truck. I ignore them also. They are there to keep delivery trucks from the area.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Unless there is a restriction for the truck in the neighborhood, you have the "Right of Access" meaning you can drive down the street to your residence.

If there wasn't such a provision in the law, deliveries could never be made to houses in restricted road areas.

"Right of Access" usually entail the shortest route from roads that are not restricted to the destination.

This is how you can have  102" wide trailer on roads that are limited to 96" wide.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

GVW of 26000 pounds empty is a contradiction of terms.  According to that sign you could legally drive a 25999 pound truck loaded with 54001 pounds of lead down that street and be OK. I don't think the sign maker was familiar with the term GVW.  I bet GCVWR would really blow their minds.:huh:                                Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Charlie, there is no contradiction (they didn't say gvwR) it's just sort of dumb for exactly the reason you stayed. Plus there are not many trucks alone , ie: empty, that will weigh 26000. Even with a big heavy steel bed our HDT's are not gonna hit 26000. A commercial tractor without a bed won't even be close. Basically that sign is a waste of a pole and the metal used in the sign.

And Mark, "right of access" or not I can show you some roads that a tractor may not drive. They can unload it and walk it down the street or deliver the load anyway they want...as long as the load and truck weigh less than 26000lbs. Without knowing the road and the situation your statement may not apply.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

And 5'er, I can guarantee you that if I had run into a road that I could not take my delivery truck down because of an administrative rule/law, the recipient of the item would then be welcome to come down to the dock and pick the load up themselves, because they had not provided reasonable access.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

And Mark, "right of access" or not I can show you some roads that a tractor may not drive. They can unload it and walk it down the street or deliver the load anyway they want...as long as the load and truck weigh less than 26000lbs. Without knowing the road and the situation your statement may not apply.

Hence my first sentence "Unless there is a restriction for the truck in the neighborhood, you have the "Right of Access" meaning you can drive down the street to your residence."

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

21 hours ago, runaway parents said:

. It says No trucks with gvw of 26000 lbs empty.

I agree this sign is a stupid waste, but someone knew that the word EMPTY was necessary if the 26,000 lbs was used. I don't know of many garbage trucks that would service that neighborhood.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Paul, I would be willing to bet that is a common occurrence, except that the standard UPS and Fed-ex trucks can make it. Both bridges into the neighborhood that sprang to my mind first were de-rated and posted for nothing in excess of 18,000 lbs (or 20..can't quite remember. I think senility is gonna be an easy transition). I've got another area where nothing weighing more than 26,000 tandem axle. There is another way around but its a long way around. That one is fun to hang out at. I'm not sure our HDT's with a heavy bed could get in the first neighborhood. That would be a pain to not be able to drive your truck to the house. Think I would be yelling for at least one new bridge.

Clay,the word "empty" is what makes the whole thing so silly. It says a gross weight of 26,000 lbs. empty. Doesn't say a darn thing about what they can weigh loaded. If it said "no  trucks that  weigh more than 26,000 lbs" then you would be right, garbage trucks can't get there, but an "empty" garbage truck doesn't weigh 26,000 lbs. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have seen instances where trucking restriction signs were posted so to please the local residents about too much traffic.  This is a joke because trucks generally represent a small portion of the total vehicles.  In the case, a road to my house was changed from No Trucks over 7.5 tons to No Trucks and when I tracked down the Alderman that had the signs posted, that was his reasoning.  When I pointed out that under state law, truck restrictions were only allowed when tied to a weight restriction.  The Alderman countered about posting sign of No Truck over 3000 lbs.  And I countered with he would have to justify a weigh limit that also affected automobiles.  In the end, the signs were returned to the original legal No Trucking over 7.5 tons.

The very nature that a sign addressed the empty weight of a truck is a strong indicator that this was a knee jerk reaction by a civic official and in all probably violated a state code.   Cities and communities have very limited ability to post any restrictions that not covered in state codes.  Some of the worst law violations today are done by cities and communities.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I your license plate says motor home you are not a truck anymore. I ignore the no truck signs as long as I know there is not a low bridge or a bridge with a low weight limit.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

A wise man once said:  "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...."

I do as I'm expected, looking like a truck, even though I am registered as a M/H.  Having a lengthy roadside conversation with a person in uniform is seldom productive, even though I may be right.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived