Man Did this Thread Die or What

DJW

Dennis,

I still stop by. I just haven't the extra time any more with scanning house listings in several towns in Colorado like Montrose, which is terrific undiscovered gem of a destination in the first stages of development. Or Glenwood Springs a marvelous done destination. Colorado is putting fiber in to even the smallest towns like Meeker, free installs and 1GB Synchronous speeds! 70 bucks a month unlimited. Legal recreational pot, so no prescription needed for my spinal pain relief. (edibles only, I quit smoking in 2010, quit drinking alcohol too. And haven't smoked pot since the sixties, which I did inhale. I don't like being high, and they've solved that with a variety with almost no high, and much more pain relief. Legal assisted suicide if I'm terminal and don't want to be put through more than I'd put my dog through. What's not to like?

Still looking at Greely and Longmont for my SH. I'm really not into suburbs. But no Acreage this time. Just a Workshop and house with an RV pad, and room for a Model 3 Tesla and a Subaru Forester. So I still read the daily tech blogs, but rarely have time time to post them here because al, the leftover time id placing ads to sell all the excess stuff. I am ready for new mowers rather than pay to have them moved. Better to upgrade with the difference. I am shocked that no one bought my TV since it is cherry and at a giveaway price. My new Vizio P Quantum is in our closet in the box. Have to install it, along with my new Linksys Velop mesh network. Smart hub and reinstall of Windows on my old 27" system. I built a tower with an Acer 27" Quad HD glare free great monitor.

So it isn't me taking my ball and bat and going home. More like selling my stuff fast as I can!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

I still stop by. I just haven't the extra time any more with scanning house listings in several towns in Colorado like Montrose, which is terrific undiscovered gem of a destination in the first stages of development.

Undiscovered?  First stages?  Maybe by you. It's been around for over 130 years and very familiar to many.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

RV

I don't mean that you had taken your ball and gone in a negative way.  I just meant that since you were getting ready to move and that you did not spend as much time on the forum that it sure had gone dead.  I know that you are out there and that if someone really needed help that you would be one of the first ones to jump in.  I guess I was saying that I miss your informative posts and the knowledge I gained from them.

Stay safe my Friend

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

We've been friends here a long time so I clarified. But I figured you meant it that way. 😉

Chirakawa,

I Lived in Colorado Springs for three years when I taught at the USAF Academy, 1978 - 81. I had a 78 Subaru Brat with the big camper shell and our 1973 VW Westphalia PopTop camper. We winter camped a lot at the Academy Rec center Farish Memorial park, in Woodland Park: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Farish+Recreation+Area&FORM=RESTAB

I loved to fish there but my #1 fishing hole was an Alpine lake type lake, Lake Jefferson CO. It took forever to get there for a day trip. None of the roads were paved back then: http://www.anglerscovey.com/where-to-fish/colorado-lakes-and-reservoirs/jefferson-lake

and https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lake+jefferson+co&qpvt=lake+Jefferson+CO&FORM=IGRE

I caught my biggest Rainbow trout of my life there. We didn't go much further west because between Cripple creek, fishing and hunting, Pikes Peak and all the forests there, we were in heaven. Montrose has just opened a prime recreation center, and in the last year finished a river kayak area, and are ongoing with many projects in the coming year. If you haven't been to Montrose in a only year or two you wouldn't recognize it! http://visitmontrose.com/

Thanks Jim!

It's the deciding that is killing us. I love Rangely but she wants a Home depot, and more than one choice to shop for food. If my funds were unlimited we would buy in Glenwood Springs, but it is already a "destination" and the houses there we like start at ~$400-$700k. Montrose $250-$400k. Rangely $120-$175k. Yes I want in town or the edge of it. Rangely suits me to a T. Lynn wants Montrose. I just don't want into a subdivision. I want a workshop, and room to pull in, and hook up my little fiver now, or a bigger fifth wheel later.

I am about to go back to Greely, Longmont, and Ft Collins and surrounding area. They cost similar to Montrose but more selection.

I really must have the recreational pot legal so I can get CBD edibles and drop the NSAIDs I have been taking. From now on it will only get worse, and Opioids are off my table permanently. I have been addicted to nicotine for decades, so I know I don't want any drug that is that hard to kick, and incapacitating to boot, cancer aside. Canada was attempted but we are too old/retired for them, are not refugees, and I do not have 2 million to immediately invest in a Canadian business. <sigh> Yes you can buy your way in. We both love BC and Alberta.

So while we can afford Montrose, it is too far away from the grandkids in Denver. Rangely is closer. Plus Montrose gets all the air pollution from California fires and those in Colorado. We actually have more budget than I realized until wifey made clear in no uncertain terms that we COULD afford Glenwood Springs if we thought a house was worth spending so much on. So  am revisiting the other towns that are available. I just want far away from the Fort Collins -Denver - Colorado Springs traffic canker. Besides I can physically visit the Pot industry companies I might want to invest in after we are settled in. So it is back to the drawing board and Zillow. I set aside the winter to zero in on one to three places to visit. I need to smell the air and feel the breeze.

We are very lucky to be able to do this after almost 21 years since retiring, going full time for seven years, investing in a great stock and good real properties. Aside from a four year break to do steel building designs and siting and sales - 2005-2009.

Maybe you will visit us there Jim, and this time bring Alice.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks guys!

Chirakawa, I taught at the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs 1978 -1981. My Dad was assigned to Colorado, Lowery AFB in Aurora CO when I was born in 1952. I know my way around the state especially the out of the way places like Jefferson Lake and down below in the beaver pond area for trout.https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4550746,-105.8646508,1306m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Dang Derek, we were not far apart in 1979, I was assigned to the computer section at FT. Harrison at the time, Data analyst supervisor back then,  my section was sent TDY to Ft. Carson for computer training for 2 weeks.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Not even across town for some of it because I was taking my first college classes at Pikes Peak Community College nights right next to Ft. Carson, and actually was at Carson itself to check out some of their M-16A1s for Cadet training, flash bangs and Claymore mine simulators for the Vietnam shoot don't shoot live fire ravine. The AF only had M-16s and we wanted them to train with the forward assist equipped newest M-16A1s. (3 shot bursts?) The MPs manning the Carson gates were freaked out when they saw our .38 Spec. S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece revolvers. They apparently were not allowed to have bullets so we had to get them to call their Prevost Marshal I think the title was and he knew we were required by our regs to have loaded guard weapons when in possession of or transporting high risk weapons. (Read automatic weapons, LAW rockets, .50 Cal Barrett M107 Sniper rifles for testing as they weren't official for "Full Material Release until ~ 2002-2003.)

Ray, I didn't get into computers until the 80s with the first IBM clone I was given in 1983 Because it didn't power up. One leg of the power cable had a cold solder to the power supply I fixed in a couple of minutes with my Wen Soldering gun. I also had 2 Commodore 64s two external floppy drives, the color monitor, and a promenade EPROM programming board to load programs on from floppy then putting the EPROM chip in a game cartridge case for an early fast load removable drive! I know they used punchcards until well into the 80s in the AF. We got our IBM Selectrics picked up and replaced by Zenith Z-100 that were made to run Gary Kildall's Control Program Microcomputer (C/PM). His company was called Intergalactic Digital Research, later just Digital Research and their DOS competing with MSDOS was called DR DOS in the 80s and 90s. I used DRDOS much of the 80s and the 90s on my personal computers until DR DOS Version 6, and then we switched to Windows for Workgroups 3.1 from Microsoft which was stable, so the AF switched to Windows 95 and Office 95, both of which I bought for my home use. All protected by Central point software antivirus, then Norton. My notebook was an AST running DRDOS on a monochrome black and white monitor.

Sorry, TMI, it's 3:15 am in the morning.

Night Ray!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived