Nutritional Yeast Seasoning

Velos

Found this description on Wikipedia:

Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is sold commercially as a food product. It is sold in the form of flakes or as a yellow powder and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores. It is popular with vegans and vegetarians and may be used as an ingredient in recipes or as a condiment.[1]

It is a significant source of some B-complex vitamins and contains trace amounts of several other vitamins and minerals. Sometimes nutritional yeast is fortified with vitamin B12.

Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of cheese,[2] for example in mashed and fried potatoes, in scrambled tofu, or as a topping for popcorn.[3]

In Australia, it is sometimes sold as "savoury yeast flakes". In New Zealand, it has long been known as Brufax. In the United States, it is sometimes referred to as "hippie dust", "nooch" or "yeshi", an Amharic name meaning "for a thousand".[citation needed][dubious discuss] Though "nutritional yeast" usually refers to commercial products, inadequately fed prisoners of war have used "home-grown" yeast to prevent vitamin deficiency.[4] Nutritional yeast is different from yeast extract, which has a very strong flavour and comes in the form of a dark brown paste.

We use it all the time! Yeah, hippies, vegetarians like us and vegans are quite fond of it. Look up "nutritional yeast vegetarian vegan recipes" on the web and you'll see tons of recipes.

You can do a lot with nutritional yeast, from sprinkling it on popcorn to making "cheesy" sauces for nachos, pizza, etc. It does take some practice but if you want to try cutting back on dairy intake it's a great way to start.

You'll find it in health food stores, places like Sprouts and many conventional markets have it in bulk. 

Let me know what you think if you try it.

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Yes, I've used it.  It does have a cheesy taste.  I've used it *in* recipes, not sprinkled on foods, but you could certainly do so.

The cheapest place I've found to buy it is in the bulk section at WinCo.  You might be able to find it in the bulk section at other grocery stores, too.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, LiveWorkDream said:

We use it all the time! Yeah, hippies, vegetarians like us and vegans are quite fond of it. Look up "nutritional yeast vegetarian vegan recipes" on the web and you'll see tons of recipes.

You can do a lot with nutritional yeast, from sprinkling it on popcorn to making "cheesy" sauces for nachos, pizza, etc. It does take some practice but if you want to try cutting back on dairy intake it's a great way to start.

You'll find it in health food stores, places like Sprouts and many conventional markets have it in bulk. 

Thank you for the suggestions, we are not currently near shopping (I miss Sprouts in the summer:))  so just ordered some from Amazon to give it a try.

I have found several links to recipes so looking forward to trying it:

23 Delicious Reasons To Start Cooking With Nutritional Yeast   https://www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker/love-the-nooch

9 Nooch Filled Vegan Recipes for Nutritional Yeast Addicts  https://www.livekindly.co/nooch-nutritional-yeast-recipes/

15 Best Things To Make With Nutritional Yeast   https://www.forkly.com/food/15-best-things-to-make-with-nutritional-yeast/

14 Meatless Monday Dinner Recipes Featuring Nutritional Yeast     https://www.brit.co/vegetarian-nutritional-yeast-recipes/

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 9:21 AM, LiveWorkDream said:

I like to eat it plain sometimes. I like it sprinkled on spaghetti, mashed potatoes, etc. 

Archived