Phil Saran

Tri pod for 5th wheel?

Depends on your trailer, mainly the frame, and if what type of stability system you are using.  Some people like a firmer feel to the unit.  We have the 6 point level system and don't use it.  We had a 4 point level system on our 2005 Teton and didn't use it there either.

We have the six point level system and also the MorRyde rubber pin box.  Just having the floating pin box would negate any benefit of a tripod.  Most that have a multipoint leveling system see no benefit from tripods.

When we purchased our first fiver (used) it was also our fist RV.  We went right out and bought a tripod.  We kept it through that fiver and another and used it whenever we were stationary for a week or more.  I really didn't need it on either fiver for stability.  We got used to using it as a secure place to lock our bicycles to plus at Christmas time we would string lights down it to make it look like a Christmas tree.  About the only other benefit for us was the fact someone couldn't just back up under the thing and steal it quickly.

I saw them more as a personal preference item than a need. I never used one on either of my 5'ers, a very heavy 39 ft tri axle Teton and a light weight dual axle 35 ft toy hauler, both with standard suspension & levelers and never felt the need for any more stabilization.

You will get much more benefit out of something like a Steadyfast system than a tripod on a 5er.  I have used both and the Steadyfast system works much better in my opinion.  It is also always in p,ace and doesn’t take up valuable storage space while in transit.

We have a 6 pt. auto level system and still carry one with us and use it depending on the "pull" on the front leveling/landing gear. If the site has the front legs on a long pull using the trip pod for sure helps. (We still put down the old factory rear stabilizers too 😎)

Edited by Sniper

I see it as a safety device.With hydraulic front levelers a failure of a cylinder or hose while you may be underneath the front would surely ruin your day, same would apply to electric jacks, a failure could drop the front.

Good luck