Onan 5500 Marquis Gold 36 Code

timinfla2

Hi Folks, 

I tried starting my genny and it turns over but won't catch.  As you see here: 

I then researched the 36 code and started tracing a fuel issue.  I removed the hose that comes off the primer pump and you can hear it running but no fuel comes out: 

There is fuel in the tank, so I'm not really sure what could be happening here.  Can anybody provide a next-step idea as to what I can try from here?  Just for gigles, it wants to run if you shoot a tiny squirt of starter fluid into the butterfly valve...

Thank you, 

Tim

Have you checked for cracks in that hose?  A common problem.  I would replace the hose and maybe the pump.  I have welders, use very similar type pump, often found at small engine repair places, always have a spare.  Replace them both and then try again.  Hose cracks cause pump to suck air and those pumps are too small to overcome that.

Marcel

Just going by the sound of the pump, I can about tell there's no fuel being pumped even if you hadn't removed the hose. Once they prime up the sound changes noticeably and gets harder and the frequency drops. That sound reminds me of NO GAS whatsoever.

1) Isn't there a fuel filter you can get to and check for it being clogged up??? That's my first suspect.

2) My next suspects is a hairline crack ( or worse maybe even broke open) in that rubber fuel line as any air leaks in the suction side makes the system inoperative. Similar a loose rubber or rubber to steel connection somewhere.

3) This is off base and NOT recommended but I knew this "dude" who removed the hose and blew some air through it which perhaps ???back flushed and cleaned the line and cleared the clog after which it primed up and worked HOWEVER that may just blow crud back into the tank to be picked up again later grrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

4) I have removed the rubber hose and rigged up a line down into a gas can to see if the pump works then. If so but NOT when hooked up correctly the line or filter may be clogged or it may be open or there's a crack.

5) Sure a pump can go bad and not work even if it runs and the line is good and no cracks or opens, but I suspect and try all the above FIRST...…..

6) Of course there has to be a certain minimum level of gas in the tank or it cant pump any because the genset gas pick up tube is higher then the regular so the genny cant use up all the tanks fuel, most are around 1/8 to 1/4 tank at which time they cant pump gas to the genny. 

John T NOT a genny expert so no warranty but the above steps have helped me in the past, hopefully some gents have better ideas or things to try. For now Im stickin with a clogged filter or a line crack or open line or not enough gas in the tank.....

Archived