Time for insurance renewal

Wrknrvr

So RV insurance is like motorcycle insurance where they go for the full year vs 6 months at a time?  Been about 12 years since I've had a RV so can't remember how the insurance works.  Unless that's just a Progressive thing.  I already have motorcycle through Progressive, so when I move on to getting a HDT in the spring I'll have to check them out for that. 

I used Miller Insurance an Escapee commercial partner. They are a broker. Placed me with Allied a division of Nationwide for many years. Their premiums went up a lot. Heard rumors that they didn’t want to insure RVs anymore, not sure if true.  I switched to Geico and saved a lot of money. Got them for my RV, Jeep, Motorcycle, Umbrella, and 3 rentals. They advertise homeowners but really broker thru Travelers for sticks and bricks. Only negative I can see is they do not use agents, guess that’s how they save money and have a lower premium, so you have to call the RV department for the RV, the motorcycle dept for the Harley etc. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Try State Farm. They were the cheapest by far. Insured as a private passenger vehicle even though Im registered as Motor Home. When I questioned that he said thats just how they do it. My agent came to my house personally to see the rig so he knew exactly what I was insuring.  We are not full time so I'm on the 7,000 miles a year or less plan. I pay around $40 a month for full coverage.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:17 PM, Wrknrvr said:

So just curious what companies are now available . I have been looking into the resource guide, but that seems to be outdated somewhat.

Thanks in advance,.   Vern

8 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Try State Farm. They were the cheapest by far. Insured as a private passenger vehicle even though Im registered as Motor Home. When I questioned that he said thats just how they do it. My agent came to my house personally to see the rig so he knew exactly what I was insuring.  We are not full time so I'm on the 7,000 miles a year or less plan. I pay around $40 a month for full coverage.

Vern -- Not sure what state you domicile in but keep in mind that insurance will vary by state.  In Texas anything over 30k# State Farm automatically considers commercial.  This is due to how their charter is written with the state.  It is big $$$ for them to change their charter so until they are feeling they are losing a significant amount of market share to justify a charter change they do now worry about it.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

8 hours ago, PunchItChewie said:

Well I have home and auto through USAA, they just farm out motorcycle to Progressive.  I need to contact them about RV, and figure out if they cover a converted HDT.

I have USAA as well and will never change.  They are a great company to deal with and I highly recommend them if you can qualify.  When I just had my dually as a tow vehicle with my 5th wheel, I had them insured through USAA with all my other stuff.  

However, when I bought my HDT, I could not get USAA (or their partner Progressive) to insure it for anything.  This was in California.  Your state may give you different results because the state does make a difference in insurance even with the same company.

I ended up farming out my HDT and 5er to Blue Sky insurance and now National General (because Blue Sky stopped writing RV policies).  I have an agreed value policy on my HDT and a replacement value policy on my 5er.  Even now (six years later and a much newer and more expensive 5er) I am paying less for the HDT and 5er than I was for the dually and 5er with USAA.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

However, when I bought my HDT, I could not get USAA (or their partner Progressive) to insure it for anything.  

Thanks for the info, will have to see if I go the HDT route.  Washington sounds fairly simple to register as MH from what the lady at the DOL told me.  I'm still in my planning stages, and not 100% with going HDT, might wind up going MH route.  Figuring out what I want to do, and what feels like the best fit for me.

Archived