Hurricane Florence

RandyA

Several of us (HDT'ers) are expecting an impact from Florence.  I am just east of Richmond, VA, which is expecting 6" of rain and winds up to 40 mph with gust up to 55.  Much better for us than the original forecast but bad for SC and NC as well as coastal areas of VA and the Chesapeake Bay.  I know Pat (Old Sailor) is closer to the coast and looking at higher winds as well as more rain.  There are some others that frequent this forum in the direct or perimeter path of this storm and the heavy rains in the aftermath.  I have attempted preparations such as the generator fuel,  food, bottled water and such.  House is on high ground but fiver is currently parked in a lower area that can quickly flood "if" the culverts under the road that drain our field get blocked from debris, which they have in the past.  Volvo is hooked up for a fast move to safer high ground if needed.  My prayers for safety go out to all that are in this storm's path - it is going to be a bad one worse than any seen in decades.  If any east coast HDT'er needs a place for refuge from mandatory evacuations in the extreme danger zones we can help.  We have extra room in the house.  Our spot is safer than the Carolinas and Tidewater VA.   We do have a pasture available with no trees if a parking space for an unoccupied fiver is needed.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy    We are riding it out here at the house. 4 days ago it sounded like I would get underway but it's turn south changed that. Winds up to 40-45 and 3-5" of rain and we stay here. Chet is on the water but I don't know how much the water will rise around his place. Glad you are feeling better so take it easy and we'll see each other soon. We are going back up to Williamsburg at the end of the month for a week or 2. Take care.      Pat

The Old Sailor

Just east of Greenville ND is Washington NC.  Water was already 6-8 feet up at 8pm eastern.  I have many friends there waiting it out.  

1 storm is bad but in 1999 we had Hurricane Dennis, and then a week later Hurricane Floyd.  The was beyond bad......

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

12 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Just east of Greenville ND is Washington NC.  Water was already 6-8 feet up at 8pm eastern.  I have many friends there waiting it out.  

1 storm is bad but in 1999 we had Hurricane Dennis, and then a week later Hurricane Floyd.  The was beyond bad......

Wow Jim, I didn’t know North Dakota was right beside North Carolina 😜. (Just giving you a hard time).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Wow Jim, I didn’t know North Dakota was right beside North Carolina 😜. (Just giving you a hard time).

4 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Ya learn somethin' new every day , right ? LOL

Y'all must have been sleeping during the geography lesson.... back in those old candle lite single room school houses..... 😁

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

56 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Y'all must have been sleeping during the geography lesson.... back in those old candle lite single room school houses..... 😁

I recall napping on our rugs and hearing the smack of a ruler when staring out the windows for too long . LOL 

Our school was a lot more advanced than a single room school house . Ours had a foyer , TWO big rooms and a basement . ;)

Here's a pic from 1917 :

img%5D 

Goes around , comes around .

5 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I recall napping on our rugs and hearing the smack of a ruler when staring out the windows for too long . LOL 

Our school was a lot more advanced than a single room school house . Ours had a foyer , TWO big rooms and a basement . ;)

Here's a pic from 1917 :

img%5D 

Your Avatar photo looks a lot like my old Wizzer.

I was the teaching - principal of a school like yours in 1968.  All students were in the same grade.  Not too much pressure with three teachers, a cook, and a janitor.   It was closed two years later.

We escaped the wrath of the hurricane.  Only brief showers today.  Wind never topped 10 mph.  Lots of rain expected tomorrow thru Wednesday.  Isabel almost destroyed us in 2003 - don't want to go through that again.  So thankful this one missed us.  I really feel for those that were in the middle of the storm.  Glad Pat and Chet didn't get clobbered.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We headed out first to near Spartanburg SC on Wednesday and then left there to go to just south of Macon Georgia on Friday and have missed any  bad weather. Planning to head home in the morning.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived