Independent Lady

Pretty sure this question has never been asked!

Some state parks in some states require you to move out for a period of time before returning. I know of a few  that require this for sure. One is in Tn and you have to leave the park for at least 24 hours before you can stay another 2 weeks.  I know of one federal campground that has a 2 weeks per year maximum stay.  One winter the Tn state park manager let several of us stay longer as he was happy to have someone in the park but when some higher ups found out they put a stop to it. One state park I know  in TX would let you stay longer but you had to move to a different spot in a different camping loop every 2 weeks.   Just letting you know to check into  that.

Hi BigJim, yes I'm aware of that. Last winter I spent a few months going back and forth between three Rec.gov campgrounds because

they were so cheap with my discount.  I called the campgrounds today I booked and confirmed that I could do the same. There's about five I like the looks of, and I like the idea of not having to drive too far from New Hampshire to spend the winter.

I also asked about my two dogs, after seeing one park that does not allow pets. I think that the park was more of a sanctuary for wildlife, which makes sense to not allow dogs. I'm not aware of the two-week maximum stay, didn't experience that last year, but Acadia National Park in Maine will only allow two weeks total per year at their two campgrounds, so I book two weeks at both to stay a month. 

Thanks

Barbara

My Big Buddy I use in the 6th wheel does produce humidity as a by product of the catalytic reaction. It sits directly under a roof vent I crack open. I keep a window open a bit as well. It is very low propane consumption/hour.

It cost less than $200 to rig up with hose, T fitting to existing system, and quick connect.

7 hours ago, Independent Lady said:

As for heaters, I'm reading conflicting reports on the catalytic and Mr. Buddy. Apparently the catalytic uses less propane but creates more humidity? Then another review says it doesn't. I wonder if Mr. Buddy can heat with just the pilot light on to save propane?

When Bob Wells finally got around to actually talking about heaters he said you'll want the Little Buddy to keep from roasting yourself out of the rig. He also said it's critical to read the manual as to ventilations and clearance. The Little Buddy only requires 4 square inches of window cracked open which is not much given how wide most of our windows are. And he said to get a sleeping bag rated for cold weather because you won't want to sleep with the heater on. My experience is that, if you have enough bedding, you only need to run the heater for a bit after the days cools off then again for a bit in the mornings to take the chill off. Again for me, slippers are mandatory and throw rugs help.

Linda

Thanks, Noteven-  Walmart here is stocking them already so I think I'll grab one before I leave. Maybe cracking two windows open on opposite sides of my trailer will give it enough cross ventilation, and of course, not run it at night. 

Thank you Sandy- I have a bunch of quilts I made which is one of my hobbies, so I'll have those!  Also will put down throw rugs, and get some thick blankets to cover the windows at night.  I'm not sure if Bob has dogs, but they help too!

Barbara

noteven, if I can ask you another question, how much propane do you use as an average? I don't want to hook up to my tank on the trailer, but just use the little cans at Walmart. I think they're good for about 4-5 hours, but I read somewhere that just leaving the pilot light on might provide heat? 

Of course, once I use it I'll figure it out, but curious what you do. 

Thanks

Barbara

Edited by Independent Lady

start calling and talking to the MARINA boat folks on the various big lakes and big rivers nearby.  They will know some full time folks that are doing what you are wanting to do with a WOOD FURNACE system.  They see if you can go visit that person who did that.

On 9/13/2018 at 12:11 PM, Independent Lady said:

enough

Independent Lady:

Regarding your question on wood stoves; the first question is whether you can get insurance coverage. 

For discussion sake, assume you can.  Navigator Stove Works makes small wood stoves for yachts.  Google the “Little Cod” model. 

Independent Lady,  There is a YouTuber from Canada who has installed a wood stove - I believe in 2 RVs.  I found a video here  There may be more than one video on the topic on his channel.

Hi Tumbleweed, I looked back to find a post where I said "enough" and don't see it. I sure wouldn't have said that to be offensive and if I did I sure didn't type something right. I've received very informative responses and also appreciate yours.  I didn't even think about insurance, and you're right, that would surely be a problem. 

Thanks LG, for finding that video!

Barbara 

That video shows the same type of wood burner we had in our stick home.  There are certain space restrictions that you need around the whole stove.  The video sure doesn't show that space.  I definitely wouldn't have one in a RV. That's overkill.  Yes, insurance definitely needs to be checked out on a wood stove in a RV.

Yes. We want to hear about your adventures and how you are getting on. Keep posting. Or even start a Blog. We are interested. I want raise a flag. Those nasty brokers also had you sign a 'Note' as well as the mortgage. It will take time for them to catch you for collection, if ever. But the uncollected balance will be reported to IRS as your income. Be careful. 

Hey Sehc, first, I don't consider brokers nasty, nor blame anyone for my circumstance. I planned this. I am happy to get this monkey off my back, and am no longer responsible for the mortgage. Not sharing more than that. 
You need to realize that giving advice without knowing the details is rather dumb, 

Barbara

6 minutes ago, Independent Lady said:

You need to realize that giving advice without knowing the details is rather dumb, 

Some may say that over-sharing personal financial struggles on an internet forum then criticizing someone for trying to give you advice is rather dumb, but to each their own. 

10 minutes ago, Independent Lady said:

Hey Sehc, first, I don't consider brokers nasty, nor blame anyone for my circumstance. I planned this. I am happy to get this monkey off my back, and am no longer responsible for the mortgage. Not sharing more than that. 

Barbara

Wow, he was just trying to be helpful.  You posted on an RV forum looking help.  Some may consider what you are doing as "dumb" but they certainly would not call you out on that.  Nice lady.

w

Well, opinions galore here. Oversharing? According to who? Yes, this is an RV forum, and two folks here were confused at my situation, so I shared a bit. Not looking for foreclosure advice or a life coach. I should not have said "dumb" but when I read that answer I thought, where is all that coming from?

The foreclosure crisis is all around us, and thank goodness for the alternative lifestyle like RV living.  As I said before, I feel fortunate to have my trailer, saving for my next house.

The best reaction would have been no reaction, which I will do next time, 

And yes, I am a nice lady.

Barbara

Edited by Independent Lady