Just looking... For now

PunchItChewie

First off hello to all.  So I have a little over a year and a half until the next chapter in my life.  I have years ago lived in a 32 foot 5er, until it got to be 110 and the A/C would only keep it a cool 100 in the unit (was a 30 amp service).  Having moved around a bunch over the years I have not gotten back into the RV life style.  Summer of 2020 I am planning on starting full timing for at least a year or two.  I will be 40 years old with a pension, and medical taken care of, so that's not much of a concern.  It will be just me, and my Boxer pup Chewie.  I am leaning towards a converted class 8 to tow a toy hauler in the high 30 foot length to stay within or just over 65 feet in total length.  I am going for a toy hauler to be able to take my limited wood working tools with me, and to also be my "man cave" to keep my 60in TV.  I would be toting a 2nd vehicle on the deck of the class 8, thinking jeep wrangler.  The housing market right now out here is still fairly strong so I should come out ahead on my house.  I know the one thing I am wanting in a RV is opposing slides in the living area.  I'm thinking about buying this time next year to catch the end of season sales, and get a little better deal on a trailer.  If my location doesn't show up I am out in Oak Harbor, WA.  Attaching a picture of my pup for some eye candy.

Chewie.jpg

12 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Hiya Chewie & Chewie's Dad! Can something like this work for you? https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans

Those are longer than he said he wanted.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

25 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Hiya Chewie & Chewie's Dad! Can something like this work for you? https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans

Those do look good, and looking on rvtrader I see a few used models that have features I'm looking for while not breaking into over the 100k price tag some of the new ones have.

I should have clarified, but was slightly distracted when I made the original post.  From what I saw on a video from rvhauler.ca 38 feet is about optimal length to basically be right at 65 feet, and 40 is a couple feet over the limit.  I'm thinking around 38 feet will be good for me getting back into the RV life.  With a garage of a toy hauler it will be a little smaller than the 32 footer I lived in, but will still be comfortable enough for me and the pup.  Then again as I research I might start with something that my F-150 can safely handle (max tow package put's me at 12k if I remember the paperwork right), and then if I decide I want to keep going full time after a year or two move up to a bigger rig.  I've only avoided the TT's because I have tunnel vision of remembering living in my 5er all those years ago.  That's part of the reason I signed up here, and am doing research over a year out.

48 minutes ago, PunchItChewie said:

Looking they have some under 40 feet, and are at the top end of my length I'm looking at.

My bad, I only saw the top 3 floor plans. I can't believe I didn't scroll down.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome to the Escapee forums. You are wise to start planning early, particularly since it has been some time since you last had an RV. You might find it helpful to attend the Escapees RVer's Boot Camp

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 minutes ago, PunchItChewie said:

No worries, that was my first reaction but I decided to look around and saw the shorter ones.

Now that I've looked at the right ones... The 351M looks like you might not be able to get to the fridge with the slide closed--no cold drinks on driving days. With the TV location in that one I would want the dinette version, then I would stash the dinette chairs and get one I could swivel to face the TV. Otherwise I'd get a crick in my neck trying to see the TV.

The 341M looks like you might be able to get to the fridge with the slides in but the TV angle gets even worse unless you can get the dinette option but switch ends.

The 328M does not have opposing slides and still has the angled TV problem.

Just my observations.

Linda

8 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums. You are wise to start planning early, particularly since it has been some time since you last had an RV. You might find it helpful to attend the Escapees RVer's Boot Camp

Thanks, and I'll take a look at those to see if they have one close to Washington or the Mid West for when I visit family.  Kinda hard to tell on my laptop, but is that a surface pin?  I don't see any dolphins on the one with the sub, but as an airdale I'm not up on that pin.

6 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Now that I've looked at the right ones... The 351M looks like you might not be able to get to the fridge with the slide closed--no cold drinks on driving days. With the TV location in that one I would want the dinette version, then I would stash the dinette chairs and get one I could swivel to face the TV. Otherwise I'd get a crick in my neck trying to see the TV.

The 341M looks like you might be able to get to the fridge with the slides in but the TV angle gets even worse unless you can get the dinette option but switch ends.

The 328M does not have opposing slides and still has the angled TV problem.

Just my observations.

Linda

Well if I go with my plan of the converted class 8 for the tow vehicle, I will have a fridge in the sleeper of the truck.  However you've hit the nail right on the head with the TV.  Once in a while I do come across a unit that has a decent setup for being able to watch some TV without having a sore neck at the end of the night.  I also am not opposed to a dinnet, but looking more for a free standing table and chairs like I had in my old rig.  Also by getting a used unit I won't feel as bad if I decide to replace some of the furniture as I'm not a big fan of leather.  Although leather would probably be easier to clean up the dog hair.

2 minutes ago, PunchItChewie said:

Kinda hard to tell on my laptop, but is that a surface pin?  I don't see any dolphins on the one with the sub,

The first pin has two dolphins facing center where the sub is. The second is a missile patrol pin. (mine should have stars in it representing 9 patrols)

3 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

The first pin has two dolphins facing center where the sub is. The second is a missile patrol pin. (mine should have stars in it representing 9 patrols)

Ok, learned something new.  Didn't want to put my nose to the screen so just guessed at the first pin.  Spent a good chunk of time working on P-3's, but now I'm on the Growler.

57 minutes ago, PunchItChewie said:

but now I'm on the Growler.

Is there another USS Growler? The one that I'm familiar with was decommissioned in 1964. I was in from 1960 - 68 and served on the Seadragon, Theodore Roosevelt, and the Woodrow Wilson.

2 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Is there another USS Growler? The one that I'm familiar with was decommissioned in 1964. I was in from 1960 - 68 and served on the Seadragon, Theodore Roosevelt, and the Woodrow Wilson.

Sorry the pup was getting antys, and meant to say Growlers.  I work on the EA-18G Growler, used to work on the P-3 Orion.  Have spent some time on the Nimitz, and Carl Vinson (just enough time to not get completely lost).  Joined in 98, and with the changes to high year tenure will be retiring at 22 years as an E6.

I've thanked Kirk a few times for serving. So OP, thank you for serving too:)!

And and 'out of the box' consideration for you. I only suggest it, because we've a friend who has a hobby to rebuild music boxes and cuckoo clocks (Most are given to him. But as he travels he hits estate & garage sales too. When he finishes, and restores them. He donates them to a group that then sales them and the funds raised go to support various charities.)

He uses the back of the a Class A toy hauler, and by the way - he tows a Jeep four Door Sahara I think, but lightly upgraded for not rock crawling - but more capable off roading. Has all of his woodworking tools available to him. (Sometimes will also set up an outside screened clamshell canopy from Coleman, if staying in a spot for longer periods. Has a small foldable tool bench, and runs a contractor's extension cord from the 15 or 20A power pole. 

In case you've never seen one. This is solid B to B+ quality rig. And he and his wife are now on year 5 of full-time enjoyment. 

https://www.mhsrv.com/2006-travel-supreme--toy-hauler-m41ds-w-2-slides-used-diesel-pusher-tx-i1702052

Above is just representative, so you can see the layout. Also Newmar, I believe, still builds the gas based Toy Hauler 'Outlaw' Class A too. While available new or newer, it's not in the same league as the Travel Supremes. 

Again, just sharing another possibility for you... 

And as an aside. The company I retired from after 38 years, Rohr Industries (Bought by BF Goodrich and then United Technologies.) - built the nacelles on the P3's. (My once removed connection with Kirk, is my Father Mustang'd up to be the Captain of the USS Florian, ASR (Submarine Rescue Ship.). He was one of the first rescue divers down to the hook up the cables for the Diving Bell on the USS Squalus rescue in 1939, off of New Hampshire, and received the Navy Cross for that. (He was an Experimental Diver out of DC at the time, working with Swede Munson on the development of the Munson lung. His name is on the Patent with three others. Sort of the NASA of that time, the learning how to mix the gasses to allow deep diving. --- I share all of this, because I never forget the men in service. Present or past - and so respect and appreciate their service. (Any branch, but partial to Navy!!!)

Best of luck to you on your retirement ahead, and on finding the right rig combination for you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty,

Thank you for your support.  I have to say the Class A toy hauler does look nice, but at the same time they are a bit more spendy than what I'm trying to budget for.  Something to keep in mind though.  Always interesting the connections that people can make (the chance encounter of "meeting" someone on the internet who has a connection to an airplane I've worked on).

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, PunchItChewie said:

Chewie.jpg

Just look at that little face!!!!  He's so CUTE!  Wish I could retire at 40...I've got 5 more years and will be 59, barely. Of course, I don't do what you do.  Thank you for serving.

Have fun planning your adventure and snuggle that big boy! 

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

33 minutes ago, Alice said:

Wish I could retire at 40...I've got 5 more years and will be 59, barely.

There are many RV folks who retired what society considers to be early. Most firefighters and law enforcement departments allow retirement at age 50 if they have enough years. I worked for 3M Co. for 32 years where I had to be at least 55 and my years of service and age had to total at least 90. I retired at 57 and am very happy that I did so. 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Kirk Wood said:

There are many RV folks who retired what society considers to be early. Most firefighters and law enforcement departments allow retirement at age 50 if they have enough years. I worked for 3M Co. for 32 years where I had to be at least 55 and my years of service and age had to total at least 90. I retired at 57 and am very happy that I did so.  

Oh I know that. :)  My husband and I are both in state government jobs and really could retire next year, me in March and him in September.  We have an "80 and out" instead of 90...but otherwise same as yours.  So we'd be 55 and 53 respectively.  But we need the lump-sum retirement pay they will pay if you work past your 80 and out date to pay off bills before we hit the road.

I guess 59 and 56 are still pretty young.

No, I'm just wistful at the thought of how many fewer aches and pains I had when I was 40. LOL! 

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

Well just recently the Navy changed it so at my pay grade I stay for 22 years vice 20, or I'd already be out and in school.  The housing market has gone up considerably since I bought so selling the house alone should pay for the RV, and leave me some extra.  Looking at it I'll probably hit the free spots, and volunteer to keep the budget down for the most part.  From reading about some of the volunteer stuff it sounds like a good way to help the park, see the beauty, and save some $.  Going to be starting to plan things here soon, but think will only say gonna full time for a year or two.  Will see where the wind takes me once I hit the road in 2020.

Archived