Park in Yuma ?

Hugh Currin

We stayed last winter at Desert Gold in Brenda, AZ. We also have reservations there for this winter. It's some 15 miles east of Quartzsite. Very nice park, pool and hot tub, paved roads, activities, and inexpensive. We have a small 19' trailer and pickup. We also set up a 12'x12' sun canopy with walls for hobbies. We feel safe leaving "stuff" in the "tent" at Desert Gold when out exploring. These are the important elements we like, although we seldom use the activities provided.

This park is great. The major downside is food shopping. Shopping is marginal in Quartzsite and only a little better in Blyth.

We see that Yuma has a Sprouts which we've found to be a great grocery/organic food store. SO, we'd like to look at some Parks in or around Yuma. There are a lot! If we can identify a few candidates we plan to visit them early this winter and see how they strike us. We'd like to hear from all you about candidate Parks. Thanks in advance.

PS. We're now in Fort Collins and heading west tomorrow. Internet is hit and miss where we tend to stay. We'll check in as we can, but may be hit and miss.

Thanks.

Hugh Curran, as a soon to be 15 year "veteran" of snow birding in Yuma, all RV parks are not created equal. Some were built before slides, tight sites. Some have all kinds of amenities. Some are very near the Union Pacific RR on the north side of I-8. Prices of course tend to vary with amenities. There are high-ends, West Wind, Country Roads, The Palms, Fortuna Del Oro. Mid-range, there are numerous  parks and some low end places. We spent 13 years in Western Sands. It is now part of a conglomerate, Adobe Village, Sunset Palms, Pioneer in Wellton. Several years ago there was an article in the Yuma Sun that said there were 73 RV parks in the area. Your best bet is to come down early, set up for several days and check parks out. I would never make any kind of commitment, long term, site unseen. If I can be of more help, just PM me. Should be out on our RV lot in the Foothills next Friday. By the way, that is another thing to look at, is renting a private lot. Check Yuma Craigs List under "Vacation Rentals" heading. Many are now starting to appear.

On 9/7/2018 at 6:55 AM, hemsteadc said:

Many go to Parker, but personally I've not found the Q to be lacking for food.

Denise (wife) has some peculiar dietary requirements (organic, gluten, etc). Give that the stores in Q and Blythe are minimal. It's a longer trip to Parker and the shopping is only slightly better. Parker is about an hour. Havasu is an hour and a half, but better shopping in Buckeye also at an hour and a half.

Small trailer and small refrigerator, so we need to shop once a week. Buckeye is a long ways once a week. So we started thinking about Yuma.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Hugh Curran, as a soon to be 15 year "veteran" of snow birding in Yuma, all RV parks are not created equal. Some were built before slides, tight sites. Some have all kinds of amenities. Some are very near the Union Pacific RR on the north side of I-8. Prices of course tend to vary with amenities. There are high-ends, West Wind, Country Roads, The Palms, Fortuna Del Oro. Mid-range, there are numerous  parks and some low end places. We spent 13 years in Western Sands. It is now part of a conglomerate, Adobe Village, Sunset Palms, Pioneer in Wellton. Several years ago there was an article in the Yuma Sun that said there were 73 RV parks in the area. Your best bet is to come down early, set up for several days and check parks out. I would never make any kind of commitment, long term, site unseen. If I can be of more help, just PM me. Should be out on our RV lot in the Foothills next Friday. By the way, that is another thing to look at, is renting a private lot. Check Yuma Craigs List under "Vacation Rentals" heading. Many are now starting to appear.

Thanks for the response. Good to know it can get noisy on the north side.

One concern for the high-end parks is that many won't take us, we're too small at 19' with no slides. We visited some friends at , I think The Palms, and they wouldn't let us stay.

I'm hoping to thin the list from 70+ down to maybe 15 to go look at. Then, as you suggest, come down for a week or so to see them in person.

A lot rental could work, but no hot tub or restroom facilities (we're self contained but a larger bathroom is nice).

Thanks for the help. If I come up with more specific questions I'll get in contact.

It of course depends on what you are looking for, but we found Southern Mesa RV park about 8 miles south of Yuma on Ave3E.  They would allow a variety of rv's with no size or age limitation,  they have activities, bathrooms/showers, pool, laundry and sites are FHU with cement patio.   They have mostly rv's in the park.  Some left year round, but most are snowbirds.   They may still be running a first timers special of $199 mo plus electric that is good as long as you stay in the park.   We found that many of the higher end parks were too expensive, were way too big or were all built right next to I-8 so very noisy.  The 8 miles out of town was much better.  Our site was towards the back so quieter than being by the clubhouse/office/pool/bathrooms.  I think it's 174 sites or something like that.

Pat DeJong

On 9/8/2018 at 12:01 PM, hemsteadc said:

Would Amazon be an option? (Although I avoid that post office like the plague)

Not a good option, particularly for fruits and vegetables.

The Quatrzsite PO is a disaster zone. I haven't used it for General Delivery but for day to day use it's a pain. I've heard it's better to send packages to Blythe.

We have had good luck having packages sent to our RV site via UPS. His has worked very well.

Thanks.

On 9/8/2018 at 1:28 PM, hiljoball said:

How about the SKP Kofa  Ko-op. If you arrive early, you may be able to get a lot an extended stay.

John

John:

I'll add it to the list. The website says about half park models which seems high, but could be OK. I see weekly rates but no seasonal, might be so but I didn't see it in a quick search. Also, they say first come first serve so we couldn't reserve a site ahead of time. Finally, the incorporation sounds more like an HOA than a RV Park. Could be good or bad?

Have you stayed there?

Thanks.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:23 PM, LFDR3116 said:

It of course depends on what you are looking for, but we found Southern Mesa RV park about 8 miles south of Yuma on Ave3E.  They would allow a variety of rv's with no size or age limitation,  they have activities, bathrooms/showers, pool, laundry and sites are FHU with cement patio.   They have mostly rv's in the park.  Some left year round, but most are snowbirds.   They may still be running a first timers special of $199 mo plus electric that is good as long as you stay in the park.   We found that many of the higher end parks were too expensive, were way too big or were all built right next to I-8 so very noisy.  The 8 miles out of town was much better.  Our site was towards the back so quieter than being by the clubhouse/office/pool/bathrooms.  I think it's 174 sites or something like that.

Thanks. It would be nice to be outside Yuma a few miles. We do like to go wandering in the desert with the dogs and this should allow easy access. The location looks very nice.

Not an expansive website but the prices looks reasonable at around $300/mo. I didn't see a spa in the pictures or description, we'd really like that. Also the roads looked to be gravel in the pictures, is this true?

Another one to look at in person. Thank you.

10 hours ago, Hugh Currin said:

John:

I'll add it to the list. The website says about half park models which seems high, but could be OK. I see weekly rates but no seasonal, might be so but I didn't see it in a quick search. Also, they say first come first serve so we couldn't reserve a site ahead of time. Finally, the incorporation sounds more like an HOA than a RV Park. Could be good or bad?

Have you stayed there?

Thanks.

The KOFA is a SKP co-op park. The lots are assigned to the co-op leaseholders.  (I am a leaseholder and spend each winter there) About half the lots are park models. the remainder are called bare lots. If a leaseholder is not in the park, then a bare lot is put in the rental pool and is available for visiting SKP members. The office knows if a member is not intending to come this winter and those lots are available to early arrivals for the season, but the rental is weekly due to a KOFA bylaw. The other empty bare lots in the rental pool are available first come first served.  There are usually spaces available Nov-Dec and mid-Feb to Apr. Jan -feb is usually full.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

On 9/15/2018 at 7:22 AM, hiljoball said:

The KOFA is a SKP co-op park. The lots are assigned to the co-op leaseholders.  (I am a leaseholder and spend each winter there) About half the lots are park models. the remainder are called bare lots. If a leaseholder is not in the park, then a bare lot is put in the rental pool and is available for visiting SKP members. The office knows if a member is not intending to come this winter and those lots are available to early arrivals for the season, but the rental is weekly due to a KOFA bylaw. The other empty bare lots in the rental pool are available first come first served.  There are usually spaces available Nov-Dec and mid-Feb to Apr. Jan -feb is usually full.

John

John: Thanks, that explains a lot. We'll go by and take a look this winter. It sounds like one could reserve a space for the season? May have to contact them in October or November. Looks like a nice location within Yuma.

Thanks.

Hugh

Archived