off topic AC/heat pump replacement

bags

I have to replace my Coleman Mach 15k heat pump. Does anybody have any product recommendations. I see a lot of Dometic on all units. Do they just have the best deal for the manufactors or are they a superior unit worth the extra the money plus the cost of a new thermostat?

Thanks for everyones help. See you at the rally.

JB 

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

For something that is much more quiet and does a much better job cooling, investigate the  possibility of a Mini Split install. Depending on the size of your trailer a single unit could work very well for you. My retrofit was quite expensive and I still have a couple issues that will be resolved, but it is very quiet and cools much better than my previous unit. If the heating is almost as good then it will be worth the additional expense. I would never replace a rooftop unit with another rooftop unit. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

7 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

What’s wrong with sticking with the Mach 15?

Not a thing just wanting to know if there is anything better.

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

As an RV tech I would recommend sticking with the Mach...many times the wiring is not the same for the thermostat so it's not a direct replacement...plus I like Colemans they have not caught up with Dometic and your no "paying for the name".  I am a dealer for all of them.....not a big difference between them...

Mark

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

thanks for the replies. After speaking with my rv tech that is going to replace my coleman with a coleman he said he likes a lot of domestic products but replaces a lot of domestics under warranty. Kinda of what I found on web forums as well.

JB

I can't speak to the Dometic, but we did install a Carrier 15k heat pump on a race car trailer and were very pleased.  Worked good and never let us down.  From working in the propane business Carrier was always a quality unit in the furnace business, so I figured it would hold true with their RV unit.  Noisy like all the rest of the rooftop units though.  I like Rod's suggestion of the mini split if it is feasible in your situation.  It relocates the hot/noisy part of the unit to somewhere other than your living room or bedroom.

46 minutes ago, bags said:

thanks for the replies. After speaking with my rv tech that is going to replace my coleman with a coleman he said he likes a lot of domestic products but replaces a lot of domestics under warranty. Kinda of what I found on web forums as well.

JB

That's right John.  Had one of ours replaced the 1st year out.  So far the other two are holding up.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived