Choosing the best places

virginiasean

So I am trying to choose between Elephant Butte and Eufaula Lakes. Has anyone been to both ? I have only seen pictures but what I am looking for is lakeside beaches and RV parking near or on to beaches, nice walks, hook ups if possible and in general lovely scenery and a relaxing place for a few days stop. Happy to hear all comments on 

We have been to Elephant Butte State Park several times. It can be rather crowded at times. There is dispersed camping (no hookups) in some areas around the lake. Depending on the long term weather and drawdowns, the lake level can at times be very low. Although it does not have the Butte as Elephant Butte does, Caballo Lake State Park also has dispersed camping in areas close to the lake shore and is closer to your route.

We have not been to Lake Eufaula, but have been to a number of Corps of Engineers Lakes (COE). Many have campgrounds with at least electric and water. Many have dump stations. There are COE campgrounds on  other lakes and along the Arkansas River along your route from Oklahoma City to Memphis. Take a look at the state maps in the link above.

I've been to Elephant Butte many times on my way to/from my winter ranch in southern NM. In general its a very nice facility. I would emphasize the caution that due to the ongoing drought in the general area the water levels have been so low that almost all boat ramps are closed and what used to be the beach or waterfront is  now hundreds of feet away from the current water levels.

Jim

Archived