CAT ECM Issue

DQDanny

First, my truck is a MDT,  but I placed it in the HDT spot because there is way more interest here.  And part of my logic is both classes of trucks share this component.   So here goes my saga...

I took my truck to a repair facility to get a couple items looked at.  One was the exhaust brake, it  would not operate/close.  I had done all I could do, which was free it up from being stuck open, checked & replaced the relays, & verified the air cylinder operated.  I could get the exhaust brake to operate by applying 12 volt at the closest pig tail.  The EB just would not work with the in dash switch.  The engine is a 3126E in a 2003 ford supercrewzer.  Anyway, my conclusion  was the ECM was not sending a signal to the in-dash switch.  The EB is interfaced with both the CAT 3126E engine & the Allison 3000HD tranny.  So, I took the truck to a repair facility, & they hired a mobil CAT man with a laptop & the CAT software.  I was not present, but this CAT man plugged into the truck port under the dash, & was able to see a parameter that he believed prevented the EB from working.  He saw a parameter that indicated the clutch was depressed.  However the truck is an automatic.  So he downloaded & saved all the parameters.  He then attempted to delete or change this clutch parameter, believing this was the issue.  Then somewhere in this process the ECM no longer will communicate with his laptop.  His recommendation at this point is to remove the ECM from the truck & send it to a CAT facility.  At the CAT facility,  after 4 attempts to reprogram or flash the ECM,  determine the ECM is dead.  A new one is required.  This of course is $2300 plus $300 to program.  Ouch!!    

So my question to the members,  if anyone has any experience, is it possible for the mobile CAT laptop man to make an honest mistake & crash my ECM, or wipe out the firmware in the ECM, rendering it useless?  Do you think he could of attempted to delete or change the clutch parameter, & crashed the whole ECM?    Right now his position is ECM's do crash for no reason, & yours just did.  My supercrewzer is a 2003 with 70K miles,  & was having zero issues, other than the EB not working.  I was not having any intermittent ECM or drive-ability issues.

I have not spoken with the mobile CAT man yet,  the above info comes from the shop where the truck is located.  I am attempting to speak directly with mobile CAT man early next week.  What questions would you recommend I specifically ask about his ECM laptop repair attempt.   I obviously don't know anything about this software.  I did wonder if he needed to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the ECM from the truck.  I don't know if this should be done or not.  And finally,  are there any comments on new or refurbished ECM's,  or ways to get the truck running for less than the 3K.    Fortunately I am not traveling right now.  I was just attempting to get some preventative items looked at before we head out for the fall.  Thank you for your comments & time.   Oh, I did drive up to Rapid City, SD   (different vehicle) & picked up a used Hitchcrafter EZfloater hitch.  This was advertised on the site a few weeks ago.  I'll get this bolted down when I get my truck back.  It has a little compressor in it...that's sort of cool.    Thanks again.

Won't speculate on what happened, you should confirm the CAT guy has a CAT approved laptop and licensed software.    Cloned computers and software usually works but, there could be some com port or parity errors.     These issues generally would not allow the devices to communicate at all.     If it is any consolation, I had several Fanuc CNC controls blow serial ports on download      Memory is not immune from failure, look into a refurbished ECM.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived