Schwintek / Lippert slide out wont slide out

dennisvr

I'm helping a friend with his slide out.  It wont slide out on one side.  After researching the Schwintek system I have found that the only way to remove the motor is to remove a screw from the outside.  The problem is the slider wont slide out to access the screw,  Does anyone know how to remove the motor when the slide out is retracted.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Does it move at all? Any sound from the motor?

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

SWharton,  I unplugged the motor, but still could not move slide by hand.

hdrider, The right side moves, but the left side doesn't make a sound.  This system has a motor on each side.

offroad,  Spent a lot of time on YouTube and other sites, but all say you have to remove the screw from the outside and then left the motor to disengage it.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I "THINK" I remember my friend said he unplugged both motors and tried to push it out. I will check with him.  
Yea, that was the conclusion we came up to was to call on Tuesday.
With all the videos and the info on line we researched, they all say you have to remove the screw from the outside to disengage the motor, but you cant get to the screw with the slide in.
Worked on a lot of different things in my life and usually can figure them out, but this one has me stumped.   

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

My lippert slides have jammed several times,

A.  You may have to "reset" the controller by following the sequence prescribed. 

https://www.amlrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Schwintek-Manual-override.pdf

1. 1. Electronic Manual Override (available on board revision C1 and newer):
  1. Locate the circuit board.

2. Press the “mode button” six times quickly, then press a seventh time and hold for approximately five seconds (Fig. 1).

3. The red and green LED lights will begin to flash, confirming the override mode.

4. Release mode button.

5. Back inside coach; use the normal slide control

switch to retract the room.

TS

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

Fig. 5

SLIDEOUTS

Has been successful for me when slide gets jammed. Also when extending or retracting slide , hold button down at least 5 seconds after slide stops. 

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake----which I also keep handy.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L CCLWB
2019 Airstream 25FB

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Yea we tried the override yesterday, but still only one motor would work.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

2 hours ago, Trucken said:

Check for voltage bad motor....no power jumper off good motor. See it that works..

good luck let us know what works

I have little slide work experience but after reading all of the posts it would look to me as though this would be the next step. If you can gain access to the connection plugs, I would use a meter to check for power available on the pins of the plug to the problem motor and then compare the readings found on it to those which you can find on the plug for the motor that works. Check each plug both with the switch released and with it pressed.  is it safe to assume that you have already checked for any error codes from the red & green lights and there are none? Also, status lights have been checked for direction to see if they are normal?

20 hours ago, dennisvr said:

I "THINK" I remember my friend said he unplugged both motors and tried to push it out. I will check with him.

Have you learned if he unplugged both motors? Are you able to go to the RV and check things yourself or are you relaying things? Reading over page #3 if the above-linked manual, it seems that the motor retention screws should be accessible if the slide was designed properly. Via the internet search I was able to find this repair manual but really don't seem much that is likely to help, although it can't hurt for you to look it over. 

I was also able to find this copy of the Master Towable Manual which is 132 pages in length and seems to have a lot of details not in the other manuals. I also found a copy of this owner's manual and troubleshooting guide, if you don't already have one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the responses.  I stopped by to see the friend and he told me of his problem with the slide.  Of course he had no meter or test light and I had none with me to check any wiring.  It had a code of 6 lights I think it said short in wiring or bad motor.  Without test equip. I tried to remove the motor so I could plug it into the other side and see if it would run to tell me if it was a bad motor or bad wiring to the motor, but cannot get the motor out with the slide retracted.  Of course I was on the side next to the fridge, I was on a step ladder reaching over the slide with enough room for one arm to reach the motor.  Its just bugging me to think that they would build this system and you cant change the motor with the slide retracted or someway to disengage it.  I will try to call Lippert tomorrow and see how long I have to stay on hold to talk with someone.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

You will probably get the same response from Lippert as you did from us. Since it is the kitchen slide I assume it is heavy, one person will not be able to push it out, I would think at least 2. Your other choice is to call a mobile mechanic and have him deal with it or tak it to a repair place.

There were two other guys with me and one weights around 300lbs and tried to move it and it wouldn't budge.  Being a truck mechanic all my life and being a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type a guy I hate to give up.  After thinking about it I think there has been very few times that I ever took something to a shop or had a service come out to repair anything if its Auto or residential.  
For example right now I'm in the process of building a house and acting as the General and bidding everything out.  After getting the bids for the rough plumbing, I said the hell with it, I'll do it myself.  I've done plenty of small plumbing jobs in my life, but never an entire house.  Just about done with the plumbing now and I didn't hold up any other trades so I guess all is well.  Of course after three days into it, it became work and not so fun anymore.
Some people call me cheap, I like to think I'm thrifty.  I think of it as more of a challenge and hell this isn't even my rig, but I sure would like to be able to fix it for my own satisfaction.
I'll let you know how it turns out.  That is if I don't have to stay on hold with Lippert to long, because I have no patience and may hang up.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

First Dennis your not cheap...just enjoy a challange...especialy no one can fix...makes u feel GREAT. Great friend too. 

Since I’ve never had a problem with my slide I’m flying blind here. Confused about two things. One is . a post from  Sunday

quote ..

I "THINK" I remember my friend said he unplugged both motors and tried to push it out. I will check with him.. So did ur friend have access to wiring...

Second—Of course I was on the side next to the fridge, I was on a step ladder reaching over the slide with enough room for one arm to reach the motor.

I WOULD  ASSUME MOTORS WOULD BE ON THE BOTTOM OF SLIDE. NOT ARMS LENGTH DOWN REFRIGATOR....JUST A WILD ASS GUESS HERE. 

Interesting problum..Worked for a self trained master backyard mechanic, That car dealerships would send cars to when They  couldn’t fix it.  When I called Jake over and said how in the heck does this part come out.  He looked, said someone put it in. Then said, forget about it come back tomorrow think about it, sure enough days later I saw what was wrong. Very interesting problem you have let us know the solution, for when my time comes..

GOOD LUCK DENNIS...

Trucken. 

Called Lippert and they were no help.  They said to remove the facial from the outside.  I said the facial is attached to the side of the side and cant be removed with the side in.  I told him it just seems odd that they would manufacture a system that cant be accessed with the slide in.  The only solution he had to offer was to pry the motor out.  I said would that damage the motor and he said it probable would.  NOT A GOOD SYSTEM...…………...

Trucken,   The motors are at the top of the slide and I can reach it from the inside with one arm, but the screw has to be removed from the outside in order to remove the motor from the inside.
I may go over to his house tonight and try again to push it out while working the switch.  
This thing is really bugging me.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

18 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

Can you put pliers on the gear and move it? It will be slow but may get the slide to move.

No way to get to the gears, that I can see.  All I can get to is the motor.  
I may go over to his house tonight and I will try to get a picture of it.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 9/4/2018 at 4:34 AM, Trucken said:

First Dennis your not cheap...just enjoy a challange...especialy no one can fix...makes u feel GREAT. Great friend too. 

Since I’ve never had a problem with my slide I’m flying blind here. Confused about two things. One is . a post from  Sunday

quote ..

I "THINK" I remember my friend said he unplugged both motors and tried to push it out. I will check with him.. So did ur friend have access to wiring...

Second—Of course I was on the side next to the fridge, I was on a step ladder reaching over the slide with enough room for one arm to reach the motor.

I WOULD  ASSUME MOTORS WOULD BE ON THE BOTTOM OF SLIDE. NOT ARMS LENGTH DOWN REFRIGATOR....JUST A WILD ASS GUESS HERE. 

Interesting problum..Worked for a self trained master backyard mechanic, That car dealerships would send cars to when They  couldn’t fix it.  When I called Jake over and said how in the heck does this part come out.  He looked, said someone put it in. Then said, forget about it come back tomorrow think about it, sure enough days later I saw what was wrong. Very interesting problem you have let us know the solution, for when my time comes..

GOOD LUCK DENNIS...

Trucken. 

Trucken-

I little info about this slide system:

There is a controller on the Schwintek slide system that has connectors to the motors. It is generally located in a compartment that is separate from the motors themselves, so disconnecting motors is simple. 

The motors on the slide are located about 3/4 of the way up the wall of the slide. This is a very different slide mechanism than most on the market...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

There is a controller on the Schwintek slide system that has connectors to the motors. It is generally located in a compartment that is separate from the motors themselves, so disconnecting motors is simple. 

The motors on the slide are located about 3/4 of the way up the wall of the slide. This is a very different slide mechanism than most on the market...

We found the controller and read the code and did the reset.  I can get to the motor with one hand and disconnect the plug.  The whole problem is that if you want to disengage or remove  the motor you have to remove the screw on the outside, which you cant get to if the slide is closed.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Went over and worked on the slide last night.  Two other guys and myself pushed on the slide and was able to push it out.  Was able to remove the set screw on the outside and then remove the motor from the inside.  Plugged the motor to the harness on the other slide and the motor worked.  
Feels like I'm taking two steps forward and one step back on this job, in the process of resetting the controller the guy broke the rest button on the controller so couldn't do any more trouble shooting.  Tried to find the other controller for the bedroom slide to use it for trouble shooting and was unsuccessful.  Still not sure if we have a problem with the wiring to motor or if it was the controller, but he will have to buy a controller anyway so that is where we stand now.  

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Was getting lights on the controller before he broke it, but when I went outside to check for power coming out of the controller and found that he missed up the controller. We plugged the motor into the harness for the other slide and it worked, so its not the motor.  Now I have to wait until he gets the controller so we can find out if its the controller or the wiring.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

• 2 weeks later...

My friend called me last night and said he got the new controller, installed it and still doing the same thing.  It shows the code for a short in the wiring.  I told him he should switch the motors from one side to the other and check it.  We plugged the motor into the harness on the other slide and while holding it by hand it spun, but I told him it may have a issue under a load.  What the heck, worth a try.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived