Finally Did it! Dropped Fiver!

Dennis M

As many of you know I am not a newby, I've been towing fivers for 20+ years and have had the current truck/trailer combo for 11 years, 100k plus miles, and on the road five or six months a year. 

Wednesday morning we hitched up completely as normal. Both of us checked that the jaws were closed, I did a test pull before we retracted the front jacks all the way, everything fine. Got in the cab, ran through our check list, started to pull out and BANG, trailer is on the ground! In reconstructing it appears that neither of us looked to confirm that the release handle on the Trailer Saver had clicked into place. In our defense we did have a guy there asking about the truck and the car as we were hitching up.

Anyway, no serious damage. Bigfoot jacks lifted the trailer right back up and we re-hitched - carefully - and headed on down the road. Small gouge in the front cap from the corner of the hitch plate since we were hitching at an angle (saying that I wonder if that had anything to with the failure?) That evening I spent a couple of hours rebuilding the front closet that had collapsed from the impact. Fortunately Newmar used mostly screws instead of staples so it was just a matter of pulling them out and relocating them a bit to get things back together. 

Needless to say we will be checking more carefully from now on!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are supposed to take off fast enough so if it does fall down, the rv will clear the back of your truck. I had this happen at a Good Sam Ralley. Quite the audience. Luckily I cleared the truck. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Damn Dennis. I always do a pull test...and thought that was sufficient. Thanks for giving me something else to worry about. Glad you didn't hurt anything worse than ya did. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Well  what can I say been there done that. Before we got our  big truck we pulled our fiver with our f 250  . wanted to move trailer about 10 ft  didn't check if jaws were closed when it came off the hitch trailer landed on top rail of pic up box didn't hurt the trailer but it didn't do the box any good . lesson learned check and double check and check again.

Reminds me back to my mechanicing days.  While working on a truck a driver came by and started bragging how good of a driver he was.  He said he hooked up his trailer and drove 50 miles with the pin in front of the fifth wheel and didn't loose the trailer.  Trailer was to high when hooking up.
I corrected him and said a good driver wouldn't have moved the trailer without checking to see if the jaws were locked.  
Ever since that time I always check the handle and the jaws to make sure they are in the locked position.  Hope by saying that it doesn't jinx me, because I know how easy it is to be distracted.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Alie watches for the handle to move into the locked position, then I check to see if the pin is in the correct position in front of the handle, then do a visual on the jaws, jaws should be touching, then a pull test.

If all is correct then off we go..... 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Alie watches for the handle to move into the locked position, then I check to see if the pin is in the correct position in front of the handle, then do a visual on the jaws, jaws should be touching, then a pull test.

If all is correct then off we go..... 

Same as Jim, but I push on the handle before doing to visual on the jaws.  And I still have the nice dent on the plate of my TS to prove it came out at least once!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Driving into our favorite beach campground, saw a one-ton going out who had clearly dropped his fiver on his bed.

Me to Wife - "How could someone be so stupid?"

While unhitching, camp host says we have to move 5er forward, so back jacks aren't in sand.

As I pull fwd, look in rear view mirror and watch hitch start to tilt!!  Hit brakes and 5er is hanging on the plate at 45degree angle.

Me to wife - "Please QUICKLY put chocks BEHIND a trailer tire"...all the while watching that pin just hang there, brake pedal jammed to the floor!!  She got the blocks in and I was able to back under and set the lock!  Lucky for us, the site was sloping down, toward the truck and not away!

Lessons Learned 1) Always check locking pin before moving.  2)  Any distraction when hitching/unhitching can spell disaster.  3) It pays to do that pull test slowly AND watch that pin closely...because you can actually stop before it falls IF you're watching closely! 4) Never call anyone stupid!!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Like previous post  above I to thought that this would never happen to me. But it is a hard way to learn a lesson. When this happened to me I sure was hoping nobody was video taping  this. Since we got the big truck when we arrived at campgrounds  the cell phones break out and the video taping begins. It is extremely hard to be inconspicuous in these big trucks. Sure makes you feel like a reel pro NOT. Dennis welcome to my world I don't live in a perfect world  never clamed to be perfect . We are human sht happens we just have to try to keep it to a minimum.

7 hours ago, MsChrissi said:

you'd think there would be a trustworthy GO/NO GO indicator on something so critical?

All 5th wheels have a locked good to go position indicator/retainer pin of some kind. Locked has to be verified by a human person’s eyes. 

This step sometimes gets missed due to stuff like “nothing gets a conversation started with a bystander committee like an interesting rig hooking up getting ready to go.”

it’s kinda the same as I’ve had people stand silent and watch me by a motorcycle put in the ear plugs, zip up the riding gear in 90f, put on the full helmet, and then they start asking questions about ... well I don’t know because it sounds like “Issz tht a Trpmufflemffl? I rumff fld dmfl fuffle muffle!” And I say “fuffl mmmmpf!” As I start the engine. And then wonder what part of my pre flight they’ve distracted me to forget 😀. Like my glasses which are now lying on the ground about to be stepped on...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I will never say never.  I'm too much of a rookie to be that confident.  The DW and I do work as a team hooking and unhooking the 5er, so there should be at least two sets of eyes looking at the hitch before anything moves.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

21 hours ago, MsChrissi said:

you'd think there would be a trustworthy GO/NO GO indicator on something so critical?

Yeah, you would. You can paint the latch (the handle mechanism) so that if it is not all the way into the block you will see a line. But other than that and pushing on the mechanism to be sure it is seated, there is not much else you can do.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yep, dropped ours this weekend. Apparently 3 sets of eyes are one too many....dog was helping us hitch up. Well that was enough to make me feel 2 inches tall, had an audience, was at the dealership picking up the trailer from having warranty work done. Luckily our spare tire is in the front, landed on that, have to lower it and check the rim yet this weekend. 

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

2 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I will never say never.  I'm too much of a rookie to be that confident.  The DW and I do work as a team hooking and unhooking the 5er, so there should be at least two sets of eyes looking at the hitch before anything moves.

Two sets of eye are good but I like to use them at separate times. When ever there is more than one person doing anything you put some reliance on the other person and take it off yourself even when you don't mean do. It may take a few seconds longer but if you both do your own check of critical systems, hitch, awning, bathroom door etc. you will do a better job than if you both do it at the same time.  

That is why I left all my leveling blocks at Military Ridge Camp Ground in Gettysburg. Nadine thought I picked them up and I was distracted by one of the kids, that's my story anyway. I hope who ever parked there next liked them as much as I did.

4 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Two sets of eye are good but I like to use them at separate times. When ever there is more than one person doing anything you put some reliance on the other person and take it off yourself even when you don't mean do. It may take a few seconds longer but if you both do your own check of critical systems, hitch, awning, bathroom door etc. you will do a better job than if you both do it at the same time.  

That is why I left all my leveling blocks at Military Ridge Camp Ground in Gettysburg. Nadine thought I picked them up and I was distracted by one of the kids, that's my story anyway. I hope who ever parked there next liked them as much as I did.

How did you like Military Ridge campground ? We are always looking for somewhere new to stay, and Gettysburg is only a short drive from Harrisburg.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

We are horse people and want to ride The battlefield so we stayed there to check out the horse amenities.

It was roomy and clean, they have a nice pool and a nice store. We didn't use the loundry or showers. It very close to the park. 

There is a field beside the campground and Nadine and I watched the most spectacular fire fly display. Everyone was friendly and you felt like walking around the campground.

We were there with a 30 foot bumper pull and a quad cab ton truck and had not gotten the HDT yet so I can only guess how a larger rig wouldo fit but Nadine and I both think there was plunty of room. I don't think we had reservation but could be wrong that was a couple of yeats ago. We would deffinatly stay thete again even if we don't get there with the horses.

20 hours ago, noteven said:

This step sometimes gets missed due to stuff like “nothing gets a conversation started with a bystander committee like an interesting rig hooking up getting ready to go.”

If someone starts a conversation during set up or hook up- Leaving, I stop my process/list.  For me its just easier to put my list on hold until their curiosity is satisfied.  I have a pattern of how I set up and tear down/hook up.  So far for 4 full years, working on 5, the only thing I have messed up on is leaving 2 leveling boards and 1 Y valve at a water hook up.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I can honestly say I've never dropped mine, or any other little trailer for that matter.  But my used trailersaver came predented where the previous owner had dropped one.

That said, I probably jinxed myself now.  But I always visually check the jaws, hit the handle with my hand to make sure it is all the way back and ALWAYS use a padlock, both on the trailersaver and my old reese.  But I think the best thing to stay out of trouble is ALWAYS completely hook up everything as a habit even if you are only moving 5 feet.  Never ever ever partially hook or unhook, your habits will save you on that day you are distracted.

35 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

I can honestly say I've never dropped mine, or any other little trailer for that matter.  But my used trailersaver came predented where the previous owner had dropped one.

That said, I probably jinxed myself now.  But I always visually check the jaws, hit the handle with my hand to make sure it is all the way back and ALWAYS use a padlock, both on the trailersaver and my old reese.  But I think the best thing to stay out of trouble is ALWAYS completely hook up everything as a habit even if you are only moving 5 feet.  Never ever ever partially hook or unhook, your habits will save you on that day you are distracted.

I agree, things like hooking up a trailer should be completed without fail every time from rote memory.     There is an old saying about pilots who have landed gear up.     It is an adage that doesn't ring true, committing critical checks to rote memory eliminates potential missed steps.     Always do the same thing and in the same order.     As in on short final in a fixed gear airplane, gear check down and welded.     

Also, please folks, every time you start a leg on a trip do a tug test.     There are enough jerks out there to demand that these days.     Make it a routine item and you will do it instinctively.

Steve    

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Dennis I commend you for admitting to your mistake. Like I said before I am not perfect. I cant stand people that think this cant happen  to them .Check list or no check list fatigue distractions .  Sometimes the weather can effect the order in which we do things. Seems like there is always something that has gotten over looked minor stuff like water pump left on vent left open a side door not secured sewage cap left off its all part of the adventure . I have yet to see a person at a camp ground with a clip board in there hand going threw there check list not that it is a bad idea but I have never seen it done .Something else DO NOT padlock your fifth wheel. If your trailer was to catch on fire you would want to dump it quickly to save the tractor. Had this happen to me wile pulling a snowmobile trailer tire caught on fire. If you think you are going to leave it in a unsecure area lock it up but don't travel down the road with it locked you wont have time to find your keys .

Archived