Future Full Timers - We think?

Alice

28 minutes ago, Alice said:

But would a little thing,  like a Wolf Pup or something,  be sufficient to give us a taste?  We don't know.   

I'd say that the answer is yes.  We started with something just a big bigger than that, and frankly I didn't think we'd care enough for it to stick with it. We bought used and the idea was that if we didn't like it we'd sell it off and move on. We spent a lot of time camping in that trailer over the next 18 months. I learned how to fix a lot of things that are typical on an inexpensive RV, and we eventually moved up knowing a great deal more than we did when we'd started.

I think it is the sensible way to go. As I said previously the odds of getting it right the first time (with regards to your RV) are slim. So you might as well try is with something inexpensive and figure it out as you go. If you could find a clean used unit you could save a lot of money as well. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I'd say that the answer is yes.  We started with something just a big bigger than that, and frankly I didn't think we'd care enough for it to stick with it. We bought used and the idea was that if we didn't like it we'd sell it off and move on. We spent a lot of time camping in that trailer over the next 18 months. I learned how to fix a lot of things that are typical on an inexpensive RV, and we eventually moved up knowing a great deal more than we did when we'd started.

I think it is the sensible way to go. As I said previously the odds of getting it right the first time (with regards to your RV) are slim. So you might as well try is with something inexpensive and figure it out as you go. If you could find a clean used unit you could save a lot of money as well. 

Wed been thinking about that for a while.  I hate to take on another payment, but we just paid off a couple bills,  so its in the budget if we find something used and small enough for our truck.    

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

2 hours ago, Alice said:

We do know we get along quite well traveling and we like to travel.  We have a lot of experience primitive tent camping.  We know we'll be fine in a small space.  We haven't pulled this idea out of thin air. 

I get that. We were backpackers then camped in a tent trailer. But we had no idea how different a motorhome would be. We did not know a 9-gallon black tank would be too small because we had always camped where there were at least pit toilets. We didn't know that using a dump on a hill would mean the tank wouldn't completely empty. We'd never taken Navy showers to make our fresh water tank last longer. We'd never had lights/appliances that would run down a coach battery if you used them too much. Yes, we'd had to replace batteries in a flashlight but that's a whole different ballgame.

Are you sure a rental company wouldn't take a credit card? I'm pretty sure we paid our rental that way.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Are you sure a rental company wouldn't take a credit card? I'm pretty sure we paid our rental that way

Actually I'm quite sure they will and we have plenty of credit to do it.  But I just don't want to pay 17% interest on $1,575 (I looked it up) for a week.   We're trying to pay off our credit cards.  

We really are sure we want a TT,  even if it's just for weekends here and there.  I guess we'd decided if we were going to upgrade the truck anyway, to just get what we'd need eventually now.  But perhaps it would be better to just keep looking for something with a low enough weight for the Colorado to pull.

Alice...

event.png

On 8/31/2018 at 1:15 PM, Alice said:

We have plenty of time to decide on the route we’re going…but we’d like to be headed in the right direction for planning that route. 

How long it will be before retirement should be part of the decision process. If it is 10 years or so, you really should find some way to get RV living experience before you spend your nest egg. None of us here can make the choice for you but we can share a lot of experience with you. There is a common thread through this entire conversation and that is to find a way to gain real-life experience before you commit your future to it. Of the many different types and styles of RV, while some are in common use as a full-time home and others are rare, there is no type that nobody is living in happily. Only you can determine what is right for you and right or wrong you will have to live with the result. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I thought you were leaning toward retiring within the next year or so when this thread began.  It really doesn't matter as far as renting or doing a lot of leg work and then taking the plunge on what feels right.

Most of us have purchased more than one sticknbrick during our lifetime.  When you were house hunting did you ever feel the need to try to rent several of the types you were considering to see if it was really what you wanted?  Of course not.  You did your research and made an educated decision.  

I personally have always thought that renting different RVs to see if you like the lifestyle or a particular type of RV was a waste of time and money.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

How long it will be before retirement should be part of the decision process.

I'm sorry,  I was sure I'd said we're looking 5 years or so down the line.  

That was kind of the reason for my rant yesterday.   We kind of need to make up or minds how to approach this.   if we're going to upgrade our truck we figured it best to do it rather soon (I'd prefer a year or two) so we'd have only a 2-3 years left on the payment.  We aren't going to spend every penny of our retirement ... a portion will remain in savings for emergencies,  etc.  We'll be on a fixed income...we have a lifetime retiremeny anuity...so we want to be debt free, so the two big expenses,  the truck and trailer, will be paid off with the proceeds from our house and part of our retirement lump sum.  

We're keeping our hunting cabin,  so so we need 4WD.  That's why a 5th wheel seemed best. 

But,  5 years to go.  

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!  

Alice...

event.png

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum-g-class-fifth-wheel/floorplans/320g

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans/328m

Just as an aside, these were the toyhaulers that caught our eyes.   They're too long.  But what a lovely layout.

3 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

Still shopping? 

Always shopping. :)

Alice...

event.png

2 hours ago, Alice said:

We're keeping our hunting cabin,  so so we need 4WD.  That's why a 5th wheel seemed best. 

Would a Class A towing a Jeep work for you? That's a popular combination for people who like to go off-roading.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'd recommend getting a small used travel trailer and keep your present vehicle for the five years before retirement.  By then, you should have both paid for and you'll also know if RVing is good for you and even if a small trailer would work for you.  Don't go back into debt if you're trying to pay off things.  Even a 'well-used' trailer that may need some work would suffice during this time.  Those can be had very reasonably.  Forget about renting. It's too expensive for you at this time and one week won't give you a full picture.  You already know you can be happy in a small space from your tenting so any size RV would be like living in a castle!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

You already know you can be happy in a small space from your tenting so any size RV would be like living in a castle!

Full disclosure... while we have just camped in a "normal" tent...we do medieval reenactment, so our version of camping is a bit different.  The events tend to be anywhere from just a weekend to about 9 or 10 days long.  We have actual furniture...bed, tables, chairs, they just break down or fold up for transportation.  We used to have a 13x18 medieval pavilion with a10 foot peak.  We recently downsized and currently have a 10x12 canvas wall tent, (our queen bed still fits,  but it's tight... the chairs and tables now live under our shade fly.  We took it on a float trip this summer... other campers were quite interested.  LOL So our primitive camping tends to be pretty luxurious,  but not nearly as comfy as any TT. 😁

I like the idea of waiting, personally.

Alice...

event.png

If I were you with the 5 year time frame I would just buy a used TT and try out the rving life. You say you have committed your vacation time for this year so there is no rush to buy, though you could go on weekends. Keep the status quo as it is, pay off everything, save as much as you can. There is no rush. Keep educating yourself, build a nest egg and you will feel much better.

Archived