Alice

Future Full Timers - We think?

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

You may well be creeping into dually (Dual-rear Wheel, DRW) territory. 

14 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

I personally would lean toward a dual rear wheel one ton for any 5th wheel, but that is partly personal preference/experience and partly my desire to be well under rated capacities when towing.

Well Double Heck.

We don't WANT a dually!  We don't even really want a diesel!   You see, my husband will be driving this thing as his primary vehicle for 3-4 YEARS back and forth to work and we simply won't NEED that much truck until we retire!  We just wanted to have it mostly paid off by then.  We live in town!  We don't need some huge monster of a truck that will take up two parking spots and won't fit in the garage sucking back fuel for years before we even have anything to tow with it!   Once we retire, it'll be our only vehicle.

And Chad - You've totally freaked me out about driving over mountains. 

I think we're going to have to re-think the whole notion. 

Edited by Alice

1 minute ago, Alice said:

Well Double Heck.

We don't WANT a dually!  We don't even really want a diesel!   You see, my husband will be driving this thing as his primary vehicle for 3-4 YEARS back and forth to work and we simply won't NEED that much truck until we retire!  We just wanted to have it mostly paid off by then.  We live in town!  We don't need some huge monster of a truck that will take up two parking spots and won't fit in the garage sucking back fuel for years before we even have anything to tow with it!   

And Chad - You've totally freaked me out about driving over mountains. 

I think we're going to have to re-think the whole notion. 

It was not my intent to freak you out about mountain driving.  Both of my instances were freak occurrences.  I simply wrote about them as worst case scenarios.  My point was simply that it is better to have the proper size and rated truck when towing any trailer, but especially when towing a decent sized trailer.  More is usually better with a truck intended for towing.

I completely understand budget considerations.  It may be worth keeping the vehicles you have and waiting to purchase the truck until you actually need it.  You can sock away the money for a large lump sum payment in the future to keep the cost down.  This way you can truly match the truck to the trailer and not get stuck matching the trailer to a truck that may or may not be capable of towing it.  It will also negate all the wear and tear your husband would put on the truck as his daily driver over the next few years.

5 minutes ago, Alice said:

Well Double Heck.

We don't WANT a dually!  We don't even really want a diesel!   You see, my husband will be driving this thing as his primary vehicle for 3-4 YEARS back and forth to work and we simply won't NEED that much truck until we retire! 

We have happily full-timed for nine years now in a well-built fifth wheel trailer pulled by a single-rear wheel pickup. And until our latest purchase, that truck had a gasoline engine. As long as you watch your weights and purchase accordingly, it can be done safely and reliably. 

But, I see a tendency to look at bigger and bigger rigs, and wanting to carry more and more stuff, and that works against the notion of a "smaller" truck. You simply can't have it all and then put it behind a 3/4 ton truck. 

I really would try to figure out how to "experiment" with the RV lifestyle before you go all in. It is very difficult to get everything right the first time. We started with a 26', no slide, travel trailer (used) pulled behind our existing 1/2 ton truck. Did that for 18 months (not full time yet) and learned a ton.  If you buy used and get a good price you may well be able to sell if for about what you have in it. 

2 hours ago, Alice said:

We can rent a Class C in our area, (which we already know we don't want), IF we want to spend over $1000 to rent it for a whole week.  There is no one or two day type rentals.  We do NOT have the available cash for that.  All our money is tied up in our retirement/deferred comp.  That's where we'll be getting the money to make the big purchases.  Credit we have...but we're trying to get that paid off.  So yes, we have considered renting an RV, but we simply don't have the means.

So you'd rather risk spending thousands of dollars to buy a 5th wheel and truck in hopes that you like it than to spend one thousand dollars to rent a Class C to see if you like living on wheels at all? A rented Class C will help you learn about living in a small space even if it's not the type of space you think you want. It will help you learn what it means to find places to park it. It will help you learn what it means to conserve power and water. It will help you learn what it means to dump and fill. It will help you learn what it means to live with a limited number of possessions. It will help you learn that driving an RV is different from driving a car so you need to plan shorter driving days. It will help you learn that getting fuel in an RV is different from getting fuel in a car. There is so much you can learn by living in the wrong RV that many of us don't keep the first one very long anyway--we lived in our first brand new for fulltiming motorhome only four months before we admitted it wasn't the right one for us. Learning those lessons could turn out to save you tons of money trying to live a life that may not be for you.

Linda Sand

38 minutes ago, sandsys said:

So you'd rather risk spending thousands of dollars to buy a 5th wheel and truck in hopes that you like it than to spend one thousand dollars to rent a Class C to see if you like living on wheels at all? 

That is not what I said.  I said we literally do not have a thousand dollars to throw away on ANY form of recreation at this time.  Like many, we live paycheck to paycheck and frankly we already have what little vacation time we take a year planned.  Renting a class C would be rather useless when we've looked at enough of them to absolutely know we don't want one.  We would consider the rent of a trailer if we could at a reasonable rate,  but again,  our little truck has a 7,000 lb tow capacity.   

Perhaps we should find a cheap, small trailer... just to play with.  As i said,  credit we have.  But would a little thing,  like a Wolf Pup or something,  be sufficient to give us a taste?  We don't know.   We just don't seem to have any good choices.   

We do know we get along quite well traveling and we like to travel.  We have a lot of experience primitive tent camping.  We know we'll be fine in a small space.  We haven't pulled this idea out of thin air. 

Edited by Alice

28 minutes ago, Alice said:

But would a little thing,  like a Wolf Pup or something,  be sufficient to give us a taste?  We don't know.   

I'd say that the answer is yes.  We started with something just a big bigger than that, and frankly I didn't think we'd care enough for it to stick with it. We bought used and the idea was that if we didn't like it we'd sell it off and move on. We spent a lot of time camping in that trailer over the next 18 months. I learned how to fix a lot of things that are typical on an inexpensive RV, and we eventually moved up knowing a great deal more than we did when we'd started.

I think it is the sensible way to go. As I said previously the odds of getting it right the first time (with regards to your RV) are slim. So you might as well try is with something inexpensive and figure it out as you go. If you could find a clean used unit you could save a lot of money as well. 

16 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I'd say that the answer is yes.  We started with something just a big bigger than that, and frankly I didn't think we'd care enough for it to stick with it. We bought used and the idea was that if we didn't like it we'd sell it off and move on. We spent a lot of time camping in that trailer over the next 18 months. I learned how to fix a lot of things that are typical on an inexpensive RV, and we eventually moved up knowing a great deal more than we did when we'd started.

I think it is the sensible way to go. As I said previously the odds of getting it right the first time (with regards to your RV) are slim. So you might as well try is with something inexpensive and figure it out as you go. If you could find a clean used unit you could save a lot of money as well. 

Wed been thinking about that for a while.  I hate to take on another payment, but we just paid off a couple bills,  so its in the budget if we find something used and small enough for our truck.    

2 hours ago, Alice said:

We do know we get along quite well traveling and we like to travel.  We have a lot of experience primitive tent camping.  We know we'll be fine in a small space.  We haven't pulled this idea out of thin air. 

I get that. We were backpackers then camped in a tent trailer. But we had no idea how different a motorhome would be. We did not know a 9-gallon black tank would be too small because we had always camped where there were at least pit toilets. We didn't know that using a dump on a hill would mean the tank wouldn't completely empty. We'd never taken Navy showers to make our fresh water tank last longer. We'd never had lights/appliances that would run down a coach battery if you used them too much. Yes, we'd had to replace batteries in a flashlight but that's a whole different ballgame.

Are you sure a rental company wouldn't take a credit card? I'm pretty sure we paid our rental that way.

Linda Sand

10 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Are you sure a rental company wouldn't take a credit card? I'm pretty sure we paid our rental that way

Actually I'm quite sure they will and we have plenty of credit to do it.  But I just don't want to pay 17% interest on $1,575 (I looked it up) for a week.   We're trying to pay off our credit cards.  

We really are sure we want a TT,  even if it's just for weekends here and there.  I guess we'd decided if we were going to upgrade the truck anyway, to just get what we'd need eventually now.  But perhaps it would be better to just keep looking for something with a low enough weight for the Colorado to pull.

2 hours ago, Alice said:

…  our little truck has a 7,000 lb tow capacity... Perhaps we should find a cheap, small trailer... just to play with.  As I said,  credit we have.  But would a little thing,  like a Wolf Pup or something,  be sufficient to give us a taste?  We don't know.   We just don't seem to have any good choices. We do know we get along quite well traveling and we like to travel.  We have a lot of experience primitive tent camping.  We know we'll be fine in a small space.  We haven't pulled this idea out of thin air. 

1 hour ago, Alice said:

Wed been thinking about that for a while.  I hate to take on another payment, but we just paid off a couple bills,  so its in the budget if we find something used and small enough for our truck.    

This could be a most excellent path to take. It's already been mentioned that folks usually don't get their RV choice correct with the first one and this is due to inexperience with RVs as well as changing needs and desires, but these needs and desires are only realized with experience. While using the RV you'll discover items that you'd like to change or want more of. It could be the seating arrangement and options, could be counter top space, could be cabinet storage, etc. These notions would not occur to you if it were not for the experience of using an RV. How would you know if a MORryde suspension upgrade is exactly what you need based on your camping style if you haven't discovered your camping style? This is what I was referring to when I mentioned inexperience. Many of us have been campers and/or backpackers using tents & pop up tent trailers, single axle trailers, small tandems, big tandems, and whatever else we could get our hands on to support our cause and help provide a good time, and through it all, each and every time, we were gaining the experience needed for us to make our next RV closer to what we actually and truly want. Essentially that's the process... Happy Trails!!!

On 8/31/2018 at 1:15 PM, Alice said:

We have plenty of time to decide on the route we’re going…but we’d like to be headed in the right direction for planning that route. 

How long it will be before retirement should be part of the decision process. If it is 10 years or so, you really should find some way to get RV living experience before you spend your nest egg. None of us here can make the choice for you but we can share a lot of experience with you. There is a common thread through this entire conversation and that is to find a way to gain real-life experience before you commit your future to it. Of the many different types and styles of RV, while some are in common use as a full-time home and others are rare, there is no type that nobody is living in happily. Only you can determine what is right for you and right or wrong you will have to live with the result. 

I thought you were leaning toward retiring within the next year or so when this thread began.  It really doesn't matter as far as renting or doing a lot of leg work and then taking the plunge on what feels right.

Most of us have purchased more than one sticknbrick during our lifetime.  When you were house hunting did you ever feel the need to try to rent several of the types you were considering to see if it was really what you wanted?  Of course not.  You did your research and made an educated decision.  

I personally have always thought that renting different RVs to see if you like the lifestyle or a particular type of RV was a waste of time and money.  

On 8/31/2018 at 2:15 PM, Alice said:

We’re looking at no more than 30’ and I’d like to keep it under that, but we have a few “musts”.  1) A walk around queen bed.  2) A decently sized bathroom. 3) An oven.   

Still shopping? Here's three more for your approval... 

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/travel-trailer/imagine-xls/floorplans/22rbe

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2375/

http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-23d-2/

:) Happy Trails :) 

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

How long it will be before retirement should be part of the decision process.

I'm sorry,  I was sure I'd said we're looking 5 years or so down the line.  

That was kind of the reason for my rant yesterday.   We kind of need to make up or minds how to approach this.   if we're going to upgrade our truck we figured it best to do it rather soon (I'd prefer a year or two) so we'd have only a 2-3 years left on the payment.  We aren't going to spend every penny of our retirement ... a portion will remain in savings for emergencies,  etc.  We'll be on a fixed income...we have a lifetime retiremeny anuity...so we want to be debt free, so the two big expenses,  the truck and trailer, will be paid off with the proceeds from our house and part of our retirement lump sum.  

We're keeping our hunting cabin,  so so we need 4WD.  That's why a 5th wheel seemed best. 

But,  5 years to go.  

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!  

Edited by Alice

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum-g-class-fifth-wheel/floorplans/320g

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans/328m

Just as an aside, these were the toyhaulers that caught our eyes.   They're too long.  But what a lovely layout.

3 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

Still shopping? 

Always shopping. :)

2 hours ago, Alice said:

We're keeping our hunting cabin,  so so we need 4WD.  That's why a 5th wheel seemed best. 

Would a Class A towing a Jeep work for you? That's a popular combination for people who like to go off-roading.

Linda

I'd recommend getting a small used travel trailer and keep your present vehicle for the five years before retirement.  By then, you should have both paid for and you'll also know if RVing is good for you and even if a small trailer would work for you.  Don't go back into debt if you're trying to pay off things.  Even a 'well-used' trailer that may need some work would suffice during this time.  Those can be had very reasonably.  Forget about renting. It's too expensive for you at this time and one week won't give you a full picture.  You already know you can be happy in a small space from your tenting so any size RV would be like living in a castle!

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

You already know you can be happy in a small space from your tenting so any size RV would be like living in a castle!

Full disclosure... while we have just camped in a "normal" tent...we do medieval reenactment, so our version of camping is a bit different.  The events tend to be anywhere from just a weekend to about 9 or 10 days long.  We have actual furniture...bed, tables, chairs, they just break down or fold up for transportation.  We used to have a 13x18 medieval pavilion with a10 foot peak.  We recently downsized and currently have a 10x12 canvas wall tent, (our queen bed still fits,  but it's tight... the chairs and tables now live under our shade fly.  We took it on a float trip this summer... other campers were quite interested.  LOL So our primitive camping tends to be pretty luxurious,  but not nearly as comfy as any TT. 😁

I like the idea of waiting, personally.

Edited by Alice

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Would a Class A towing a Jeep work for you? That's a popular combination for people who like to go off-roading.

Linda

It's a thought.

If I were you with the 5 year time frame I would just buy a used TT and try out the rving life. You say you have committed your vacation time for this year so there is no rush to buy, though you could go on weekends. Keep the status quo as it is, pay off everything, save as much as you can. There is no rush. Keep educating yourself, build a nest egg and you will feel much better.